Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Getting ready to replace the VW keyed ignition with the Porsche keyed. Will a 1974 or even 1973 keyed ignition fit into the 1975 ?

Thanks..
Grimstead
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 12 2006, 08:23 PM) *

Getting ready to replace the VW keyed ignition with the Porsche keyed. Will a 1974 or even 1973 keyed ignition fit into the 1975 ?

Thanks..

The tumbler is the same but I think the Electrical Portion is different (at least Pelican has two seperate part numbers for 72-74 &75-76)
jim_hoyland
Should I be able to reuse the electrical part ?

QUOTE(Grimstead @ Dec 12 2006, 08:47 PM) *

Thanks..

The tumbler is the same but I think the Electrical Portion is different (at least Pelican has two seperate part numbers for 72-74 &75-76)

JohnM
Here are a couple of pictures: 75-76 which has the extra tabs and the 72-74. I wouldn't think there is a problem reusing yours if it is not damaged, though it may be prudent to change a 30+ year old plastic electrical part that takes current through it, especially one that takes so much disassembly to get to. I have seen these with a longitudinal crack in the plastic casing which I assume is due to 30 plus years of heat cycling. John
jim_hoyland
Thanks; The main change I'm making is installing the original lock/key set. Want to get the car back onto one key. Had a offer for a 74 tubler/key, but not sure it would work. This helps. Anyone else done the same thing ?
jim_hoyland
Thanks Mark ( Huntington Beach Mark ) for the '75 ignition, key . The project is another step closer. Should I buy a set of blank keys now ?

Thanks..
markb
I'm assuming you're keying the ignition to the rest of the car. If that's so, take the *best* key you have and use it for the copies.
grasshopper
From personal experience, a 74 ignition switch will NOT work with a 75 wiring harness or vice versa. I had to rewire my 75 (the whole harness) and ended up using a 74 harness. After everything was plugged up EXACTLY the way it should have been I still had things that just refused to work. For some odd reason I decided to try a new switch and it just happened to be an earlier one and CLICK! Everything worked. So go ahead and get a new one.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Dec 23 2006, 08:28 PM) *

From personal experience, a 74 ignition switch will NOT work with a 75 wiring harness or vice versa. I had to rewire my 75 (the whole harness) and ended up using a 74 harness. After everything was plugged up EXACTLY the way it should have been I still had things that just refused to work. For some odd reason I decided to try a new switch and it just happened to be an earlier one and CLICK! Everything worked. So go ahead and get a new one.

Markydoo had a '75 !
Malmz
Some of the tumblers are different sizes as well. If I remember correctly, I had a late tumbler that would not fit into the early steering column.

Why do you want to change the tumbler and what do you mean "vw" key? You can use the same tumbler and have whatever locks you need rekeyed, rekeyed.

sm
jim_hoyland
Update: Got the entire housing with tumbler. Is the key code printed on the tumbler ? I've looked at it and it has the porsche part number on one side and the letters DOM on the opposite side.

The key code may not be important since it came with a key--large metal ILCO key.

Twystd1
What the Hell Jim...

Ain't you supposed to be with Howard at some nutcase get together going through the Muhulland race track and Enzo eating asphalt area????

Put down that dam switch and go push a ferrari off the hill....

Those guys will do anything to beat a porsche on the Mullhuland hills....

Cheers,

C
jim_hoyland
Got the beginnings of a cold; thought I would take it easy.

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 1 2007, 08:10 AM) *

What the Hell Jim...

Ain't you supposed to be with Howard at some nutcase get together going through the Muhulland race track and Enzo eating asphalt area????

Put down that dam switch and go push a ferrari off the hill....

Those guys will do anything to beat a porsche on the Mullhuland hills....

Cheers,

C

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.