Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ah, the joys of removing the undercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
This stuff is foul barf.gif . Took me hour and a half to remove the undercoat in the front left wheel well. The stuff was old and crunchy, so I just kind of chiseled it off smash.gif . Once I get it all off, should i leave it bare, or paint it. If I do paint it, would you say black por-15, or somethijng else?
campbellcj
Is your paint coming up with the schmutz (undercoat)? I have had decent luck chipping it up without disturbing the factory paint too much. If you're getting down to bare metal, then some kind of coating obviously would be a good plan. How well does POR-15 hold up to sandblasting, heat, and water? I have only used it on enclosed areas so far.
ChrisReale
The original paint is seeming to be intact, and in quite fine condition. However, its metallic silver, and the car has since been painted guards red (not by me!!). I thinkl Por-15, if done correctly (Metal Ready then paint) works great in exterior applications. I have a nice pile of this undercoat shit that I am going to save and weigh to see how faster it will make me laugh.gif
SirAndy
undercoating is a bitch. but i was recently advised by scott yeaman (a fellow 914 racer and body-shop owner) who is currently painting my car pray.gif (thanx scott!) that undercoating helps preventing the FG flares from cracking because it absorbes some of the impact from road-debris and stones that hit the inner fender. i had fine cracks on the seam between metal and FG and the FG itselfs in several spots and he recommened a thick layer of undercoating on the FG part.

Andy
Lawrence
I had some luck with softening the undercoating with gentle application of a heat gun.

My car having been in the midwest, there were several layers of the stuff. I think the DAPO was a little over-zealous.

I didn't remove all of it, though, just where I needed to do some welding. I covered the area with POR-15, and then topped it with 3M spray undercoating.

Good luck,
Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.