Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing arm castle nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I am trying to disassemble the rear trailing arm and replace the wheel bearing. I have tried the set up in the pic and cannot get the castle nut to budge.

Tomorrow I'll buy a 30mm socket and then try my 1/2" drive breaker bar. Will likely add a cheater bar to get even more force on the nut. (hydraulic jack handles work great for cheater bars)

What have you used to remove the castle nut?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ Nov 16 2003, 05:48 PM)
What have you used to remove the castle nut?

air ...
J P Stein
Big old cheater bar, half drive, 30mm socket...or a STOUT impact wrench. I leave the arm on the car till that sucker is loose..... as you have it, the impact wrench is the hot set-up...unless you like to wrestle alligators. laugh.gif
ss6
Best thing to use is an air driven impact wrench, something I don't have. Wound up taking the trailing arm AND my 30mm socket down to a nearby gas station / service center, and asked them to give it a try; they had it apart faster than I could get the other one out of the trunk, and didn't charge me a dime for the trouble.
Doug Leggins
I've wanted an impact wrench for quite a while.

I thought that it would be the best tool for the job.

I just might be the owner of a new impact wrench tomorrow clap56.gif
nyum96
Did that 3 days ago! 30mm and air for me. If you havent done the replacement yet, deep freeze the bearings and hub. Goes on easier and faster when putting it all back together! I also used axle and castle nut to seat the hub completely on the bearing. Good times. Its not the cleanest job! Good luck!

Barry
Qarl
Another trick.... HEAT the castle nut with a propane torch until it is glowing and then try the impact wrench.

I had a 400 ft/lb torque air impact wrench that wouldn't budge the nut... then I heated it and tried a few times and it spin off!
Jeroen
Breaker/cheater bar works just fine (even if you have the arms off the car), but if you need an excuse to buy new tools: YOU NEED AN IMPACT WRENCH biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
do i smell a classic thread????? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.