Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I am considering replacing the rear bushings while I have the trailing arms out. It is not intuitive to me how to remove the existing bushings. It doesn't look like they can be disassembled. confused24.gif

Studs on both ends. nothing to put a wrench on. What am I missing?

The factory manuals indicate that the rear bushings are not replaceable. I know better - I know that some of you have done this. I've searched for references on how to disassemble/ reassemble the rear trailing arm bushings but could not find enough info to figure it out. headbang.gif

Need some help! How are the rear bushings removed/reinstalled?
Doug Leggins
I just don't see how to get this off/out - Puzzled
r_towle
FIRE. (Insert pyro smily face here)
Jeroen
Go to a shop and have the threaded shafts pressed out

cheers,

Jeroen
Qarl
I started with the old torch approach and after five minutes of breathing the carinogenic fumes, I stopped, and brought it to my shop and they pressed them out in a few minutes.
J P Stein
If they all look that good, leave them alone.....other wise FIRE, cut the flanges off with a utility knife first. Karl's problem is he does all this stuff in his living room.....excuse me....parts storage room. It don't look like much living goes on in there. laugh.gif
markb
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 16 2003, 06:15 PM)
Go to a shop and have the threaded shafts pressed out

cheers,

Jeroen

agree.gif
J P Stein
Let me rephrase that.

Real men use fire.

Candyasses take their problems to someone else. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 17 2003, 06:30 AM)
Real men use fire...Candyasses take their problems to someone else

Yep, you can always choose the JP-Route... smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif and smash.gif some more
If the part breaks, some additional smash.gif smash.gif may be needed

wink.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeffs9146
Does anyone have a source for stock ones? I will go with Mikes if they are easier to install!

Jeff
fiid
AFAIK - the stock ones are no longer available. There are Weltmeister plastic replacement bushings, or you can go with Muellers roller bearings.

I going the mueller route.

Fiid.
Mueller
Jeff,

I was under the impression that the only way to get the rubber bushings new is a brand new trailing arm (same deal with the front a-arms)

I currently have at least a 2 week lead time for my rear bearings (unless Scott Spencer will sell you his uninstalled kit I have sitting on my work bench) (only one US distributor for the needle bearings and I already bought all they had in stock -ouch- )
Jeffs9146
How much for the set and how hard is the install?

I currently have at least a 2 week lead time for my rear bearings (unless Scott Spencer will sell you his uninstalled kit I have sitting on my work bench)

Scott, are you still going to pick those up?

Jeff
Brad Roberts
I need another set Mueller. The 3.0 conversion car owner wants all new suspension with the roller setup. I may use the one from "Blackie" just to buy you some time.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. Doug.

Press them out. It takes HALF the time compared to the burn method. Real men use the proper tools.

And.. Weltmeister STREET bushings are a decent replacement IF you dont want roller. They dont stick as bad and creak less than the hard RACE bushings.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 17 2003, 11:21 AM)
Real men use the proper tools.

Like engine test stands? laugh.gif
Pnambic
Like engine test stands?  

LOL! laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
That was Britain. I dont have a test stand to fire off 912 engines.

B
J P Stein
What we need here is a "tongue in cheek" smiley.
90% of my posts would have one of these.
I don't take myself seriously.....there's no reason anyone else should laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
We also need a redneck smilie. For those times that we do fire off engine on a pallet.

I fired off a SBC 350 last year on one of those tiny V8 shipping stands.

B
fiid
If you do go with the plastic ones, there is a modification you can do to add a grease channel to the bushing - you may want to do that.

I've heard one story of cars with the plastic bushings being so tight that they hang on during corners using the bushing tenstion - and then can let go and have the suspension jolt.

That gives me the willies.

Fiid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.