Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: My old Elise on evil-bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
My old Elise is on evil-bay and is about to sell...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lotus-Elise...1QQcmdZViewItem

Too bad the suckers bidding on it don't know the history...

sad, very sad....
KaptKaos
They are saying it has a clear title too? If you know that its yours via the VIN, you should report it to ebay.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 24 2006, 10:54 AM) *

They are saying it has a clear title too? If you know that its yours via the VIN, you should report it to ebay.

True dat! EBay is big on that...
drive-ability
There was a guy selling a V8 car over EBAY and withheld accident damage. I steeped in and emailed the bidder, the auction was canceled and the car was re-listed with the details included in the ad. The car had been reviewed by an 914.co* member. He posted his findings in a thread. EBAY has changed the way they list bidders so you can't do that anymore. The bidder and I have been friends ever since. I know some people think its none of my business but I have been scammed and helped out as well.
PORobinSCHE
is that the same Lotus that flew off the lift? happy11.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Dec 24 2006, 12:15 PM) *

Considering that this car was determined to be (as I recall) a total loss due to falling off a lift (the pics are hard to forget), it DEFINITELY should be reported to Ebay.

Qarl - has the Ebay listing been mentioned on the Lotus Elise site?
Qarl
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Dec 24 2006, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(PORobinSCHE @ Dec 24 2006, 12:15 PM) *

Considering that this car was determined to be (as I recall) a total loss due to falling off a lift (the pics are hard to forget), it DEFINITELY should be reported to Ebay.

Qarl - has the Ebay listing been mentioned on the Lotus Elise site?

Oh yes... they're all over it.

About a dozen reports to e-bay that I know of.
Joe Bob
Does Carfax know about it?

I emailed the seller...wonder if he'll respond....
drive-ability
There is something going on, the bid is only 900 below the buy it Now price? They must be bidding it up with a few guys behind the seen.
boxstr
Due Dilegence, If you are willing to spend $30k on a car you had better do your homework. The pics show the damage on the body, none of the underside. Get a PPI and have it looked at.
I have to agree it appears there are some helpers with the bidding.
CCLINEBAYORMYWAY
Mountain914
If the insurance company totalled it (or good year or whomever) - doesn't it then go to "salvage" title ?
grantsfo
$31K is far below sale prices I have seen for similar models for a car with that kind of mileage? What kind of structual damage was done to the car in sliding off the back of that lift? The guy selling says the car was involved in a shop accidient.

What am I missing? If the car is strucutally sound with some cosemetic defects this seems like a fair price?
Qarl
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 26 2006, 10:44 PM) *

Isnt $31K far below sale prices I have seen for similar models for a car with that kind of mileage? What kind of structual damage was done to the car in sliding off the back of that lift? The guy selling says the car was involved in a shop accidient.

What am I missing? If the car is strucutally sound with some cosemetic defects this seems like a fair price?

Pics here... http://www.my914-6.com/crap

Car fell 5-6 feet off of a lift at a tire store onto it's backside. Chassis is tweaked. There is a hole punctured in the bottom of the chassis (floor pan)

Every fiberglass panel is punctured.

I was wary of the engine and tranny as the force of impact against an unyielding concrete floor is much greater than a compressible forgivable automobile. I would question whether a tranny gear, piston ring, or some engine internal might have a nick in due to the force of impact.

The car was hung by the front suspension as it was lowered from the car lift (a big no-no according to Lotus engineers)

The entire rear shell of the car is misaligned.

Lotus engineers said the chassis was irrepairable and determined it needed a replacement chassis.

The car may VERY well be repairable and may actually run perfectly. Only time and an alignment shop will tell.
Joe Bob
Gee....no answer to my questions to the seller....

Did eBay ever get back to ya?
Cap'n Krusty
Looks like it timed out. Guy got lucky, because he coulda been a world o'hurt if the sale went through. Makes you wonder if he has a "friend" at the insurance co .............. The Cap'n
drewvw

I love the pics from the "accident". This guy spends 3 sentences talking about the car itself and 5 paragraphs talking about its rich motoring history. What a tool.
Cap'n Krusty
Perhaps the FL AG would be interested in the whole story. If the car was totalled, how did it get out on the market (in the hands of what appears to be a private party) with a "clear title"? Does the insurance company have anything to do with this? Smells like fraud at the very least ........... The Cap'n
Qarl
The car has been sold, but far under the asking price (according to the buyer). Apparently the barage of nasty e-mails and the fact that nearly the entire auto enthusiast world new about the car was to the buyer's advantage.

The previous damage was disclosed to the buyer and he had the vehicle inspected by the Lotus dealer in Clearwater, FL. Apparently it checked out mechanically fine, but time will tell.

The buyer is willing to do the repairs to the body.

The insurance company decided to total the car with me, because the cost of repairs was to great and because of the predicament they put me in (and the fact that I wasn't willing to accept a repaired car). I don't believe the car was deemed a salvage by the State of Florida.

So, buyer and seller are happy and this chapter in my wonderful life is officially closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.