Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible to replace the upper dash vinyl...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
I've got some new dash vinyl that I want to put in, but was wondering if you HAVE to take out the windshield to replace it. Would I do damage to the windshield seal if pulled the old vinyl out and used a shim of some sort (ie flexible putty knife)?

I've used this technique refinishing certain pieces of furniture and the like but know that if I hose the windshield seal, it ain't good!

Any suggestions or shared experiences appreciated!

Doug
Aaron Cox
you can do it either way....

if you pull the dash top... it gets easier. i use contact paper to make a template smile.gif
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2006, 09:42 AM) *

if you pull the dash top... it gets easier.

Sorry Aaron.. What do you mean by "pull the dash top" ... Not done anything like this before so anything that will make it easier, I'm all for it! thumb3d.gif

Doug
william harris
It can be done, but it is a real PITA. Since you will probably want to replace the seal right up against the glass, I suggest you remove the windshield. The metal dash is bolted to the firewall, several of the bolts run into the front cowl area and you probably want/need to remove the fresh air duct work, etc. to get at them. I tried to add pictures showing the whole process, but for some unknown reason they would not upload.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Dec 26 2006, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2006, 09:42 AM) *

if you pull the dash top... it gets easier.

Sorry Aaron.. What do you mean by "pull the dash top" ... Not done anything like this before so anything that will make it easier, I'm all for it! thumb3d.gif

Doug

pull off the top dash pad.... the one that covers your gauges etc.....
its a PITA... but you have to do it either way.. the vinyl is tucked in under the dash pad..
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Dec 26 2006, 09:49 AM) *

pull off the top dash pad.... the one that covers your gauges etc.....
its a PITA... but you have to do it either way.. the vinyl is tucked in under the dash pad..

Got it...

Ok.. Will have to clear some time for that then! wacko.gif

blue914.jpg
william harris
Yeah, but after you remove the vinyl dash pad, you will see the metal part that has the vinyl over it. To get a smooth installation, you also need to remove the metal piece so you can get the vinyl piece smooth and glued over the end that bolts up to the firewall. Otherwise, the piece really will work loose. I have tried three times now to upload the pictures of this process, but the attachment option just isn't working for some reason. I will post at the other place if you really want to see the pictures. Sorry. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
photo uploads are working for me... file size? file type?

upload em to your blog and hotlink em...

pulling the dash frame isnt "required"... ive done many without... just takes more time and patience to do it right...
william harris
Click to view attachmentYeap, images too big. here goes again. Had to resize down.
KenH
My '70 914-6 dash vinyl was not glued down.

It was held in place by the lower windshild seal and the dash top.

Autos International can supply the thin foam if needed.

Ken
watsonrx13
Are the lower windshield seals still available, where, how much?

-- Rob
dakotaewing
Doug -
Go here if you want a step by step on removing the dash -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42757

The biggest secret to doing this job is not to rush it -
If you get frustrated - walk away and come back when your not -

Best -

Thom
william harris
Important lesson I learned from my Dad - never force anything mechanical. If you have done it right it will come apart smoothly. I would estimate a good 10 hours time are needed to disassemble dash down to firewall, being careful to take things apart slowly and carefully bag and tag nuts, etc. The vinyl dash pad has at least four bolts that go thru to the cowl area and unless they are all loose, it won't come off. If you get hung up, I have an old dash pad sitting in a box in my garage and can post more pictures.
boxstr
The first step in removing the top dashpad is remove the kneepad. The the glove box door and glove box, the radio and pull the gauges out not all the way just far enough to get at the 3 bolts behind them. Oh one more thing, pull the steering wheel.
The main thing is to get a piece of foma to fit becaus if you do not you wil have an uneven surface that the vinyl will adhere to. It won't look right.
When gluing give it 24 hours to dry then move onto the next step.
CCLINDASHINGTHRUTHESNOW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.