Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Front Sway Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doit2xs
Hi, can anyone tell me if the sway bar kit that lets you use a non though body sway bar work as well as the factory? Any info please email me back. I have a 71 914 and the front control arms have the U brackets. Thanks, Don
Mueller
underbody bars offer 0 adjustability.....to some people that is a deal breaker...

the U-brackets are for thru-body installs...I'd have to see the "kit" to see how it attaches to the a-arms...

what size and what price range are we talking about?

Brando
914s that came with factory bars were through-body and went under the gas tank. Most aftermarket bars that are for stock 914s offer some adjustability and are a bit larger than stock.
GeorgeRud
When the factory first started racing 914s in the USA, the SCCA did not allow you to drill through the chassis to install sway bars, so Richie Ginther and the other SCCA national racers had to put an underbody swaybar on the cars. Not as efficient as the through the body type, but Porsche went with a similar design on the mid 70s 911s as well.

If you have the brackets, go with a through the body type to get the adustability. Just be sure to weld in the proper mounting brackets for the area that the bar goes though the chassis. Any of the aftermarket bars (Weltmeister, etc.) are quite good and you should be happy with them. The original factory setup is also excellent, but lacks the adjustability of the aftermarket ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.