Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shocks - working on car today 12/27/06
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael N
I am installing new rear springs and wanted to know how the shocks respond when compressed. I collaspe the shocks and they stay in the position where they were last left. I remember last time I installed shocks when I collasped the shock it would go back to full extention. Is my memory bad or are these shocks gone?
ws91420
Bad shock Bad shock Yep they are bad.
TravisNeff
Gas shocks should rebound back to their original height. Oil/Hydraulic shocks will collapse as you describe. So, what kind of shocks are they?
Michael N
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Dec 27 2006, 10:09 AM) *

Gas shocks should rebound back to their original height. Oil/Hydraulic shocks will collapse as you describe. So, what kind of shocks are they?

Koni Reds #82k-1722

Allan
They are fine. I have reds on my car and they don't rebound when compressed.
Michael N
Thanks for the responses. I'll just clean the add the new springs then reinstall.

As much as I might like Koni sports right now, I am happy to put these back in the car today. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
hmm....

old reds - maybe oil...

my koni reds (external adjust) are gas shocks and definitely rebound back to full
Twystd1
Old reds are Hydraulic with no nitrogen content..

Therefore they don't rebound.

Cheers,

Clayton
ws91420
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Dec 27 2006, 03:33 PM) *

Old reds are Hydraulic with no nitrogen content..

Therefore they don't rebound.

Cheers,

Clayton

But if they move in and out with little or no resistance they are bad. Looking at the date on the shock I would be questioning it.
Michael N
The shock has alot of resistance when moving it in or out. I'm guessing it takes about 25lbs of pull to get it moving. It moves slowly as well.

I went to the Koni web site for instructions on how to set the adjustment of the shock. I set them to 3/4 of a turn from full soft as this old book that came with the car described when using 180lb coils. I hope much has not changed in the past 20+ years since it was published.

I was actually amazed that the car was raised slightly by the addition of the new springs. The Weltmeister 180lb springs were about 2 1/2" taller than the springs that came out of the car. The springs that were removed did not appear to have been cut down but were just tired. yawn.gif If I had to guess, I'd say they were 140lb. The new 180lb springs actually ride smoother than the older springs. I was not expecting that result. Needless to say I am happy with the results. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Dr. Roger
JLO's rears were those model #.

they are hydraulic and you must compress them to adjust rebound. (note: "HEAVY" stamped in lower cylinder)

if they work, they work. =-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.