Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 low profile tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chcjr
What must be done to use low profile tires on a 1975 1.8 liter 914?

Thanks
hwgunner
First thing is to buy them. Second is to mount them.....

Sorry, sort of in a WA mood. What size do you want to go. 205/50 or 195/50???
If you want to use 205's you need to make sure that the wheels you have on your car are Original Porsche wheels or, if aftermarket, the Porsche offset. Lots of wheels out there that look Porsche but are not and they may have the VW offset which means the outside of the rim sits to close to the outer edge of the fenderwell thus causing rubbing issues. Even with Porsche wheels you may have to "Roll" the fender lip. If you want 195's then my info says go for it and you will not have rubbing issues but lets see what some one else says about that. Also if you stick with 15 inch wheels and go low profile your speedo will be off by a fair amount. This can be fixed by North Hollywood Speedo or Palo Alto Speedo for the right amount of green.

Gint
Im going to move this thread to the garage for you. You'll get a much better response to your query in there.
McMark
205/50's fit on most cars. Here's is Nathan's ex-car. Pretty sure these are 205/50s.

I can't wait for Hoopa 2007
DanT
205x50x15 on 5.5 inch rims with 1/2" spacers on the rear and 3/4" spacers on the front.
DanT
1970 1.7L with 205x50x15 on 5.5 rims no spacers
Dr. Roger
and just in case you haven't seen our tire calculator....

http://www.914world.com/specs/tirecalc.php

=-)
Roger
Mueller
i was running 205/40s on 16s and then 205/40 on 17s, no mods needed at all with the correct rim

914werke
The Tire calc is interesting but not usefull determining if a given choice will
fit under your fenders.. 205 is the generaly accepted MAX width that will fit under stock, non-rolled fenders. But evan that can depend on the tire manufacture and the build variances in your chassis. 215's will sometimes work but the manufacture selection seems to be small, 225's tend to be the absolute outside limit with narrow bodies, with or w/o rolled fenders smile.gif
I was at Discount today installing some rubber on my Avant and just about picked up a set of Yoko AVS ES100's in 225x45x16 ...on Fuchs..but they WILL be going
on a mildly flared car (ala John Kelly) piratenanner.gif
John Kelly
Hi Rich,

I was hoping to hear something about the the mild flares soon! When do we get to see pictures?

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Hammy
I really like the look of low profiles on 914's.

Anyone know how low profiles look on western rims?

Sorry for the slight hijack.
Joe Bob
Never seen lo pros on Westerns....but lo sidewalls can cause high revs on the freeways, throw off the speedo, lower top speed and higher oil temps....BUT, they look good, give you better out of the hole performance (trailer trash re-gearing) and better grip.....choose yer poison.
Mueller
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 28 2006, 11:32 PM) *

The Tire calc is interesting but not usefull determining if a given choice will
fit under your fenders.. 205 is the generaly accepted MAX width that will fit under stock, non-rolled fenders. But evan that can depend on the tire manufacture and the build variances in your chassis. 215's will sometimes work but the manufacture selection seems to be small, 225's tend to be the absolute outside limit with narrow bodies, with or w/o rolled fenders smile.gif
I was at Discount today installing some rubber on my Avant and just about picked up a set of Yoko AVS ES100's in 225x45x16 ...on Fuchs..but they WILL be going
on a mildly flared car (ala John Kelly) piratenanner.gif

low profile tires have more in common with diameter than width, he needs to be more specific with the question...like diameter of the rim would be important biggrin.gif
Marv's3.6six
IMO you need plus sized wheels to get it right.

plus 1" over stock: Blue car 205/45/16 Fuchs 7"
plus 2" over stock: Silver car 215/45/17 HRE311 8"
shmark
225/45, no spacer in front, 1/4" spacer in rear works great on non-rolled fenders. Well as long as the tires are Hoosier bias-plies. biggrin.gif Radial tires require rolling and maybe a larger spacer, but if you're determined 225 will fit.

I ran 195/50 on Fuchs, Empis and a few others with no issues other that a speedo/odo that was waaaaaay off.

[edit] I probably should mention I ran the 225s on Revolutions, not stock wheels...

MarkL
Trekkor

Yes, I do.

KT
TROJANMAN
i run 205/50's on stock 4 bolt fuchs
Hammy
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 29 2006, 12:33 PM) *

Yes, I do.

KT

Those look good Trek. What size tire?

PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 29 2006, 09:29 AM) *

Never seen lo pros on Westerns....but lo sidewalls can cause high revs on the freeways, throw off the speedo, lower top speed and higher oil temps....BUT, they look good, give you better out of the hole performance (trailer trash re-gearing) and better grip.....choose yer poison.

i have 205/60-15 on my 71. i think these are Western's or Gurney wheels.

RJJ driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.