Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another stereo Q. Don't want to drain the battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I have my stereo wired so that it's always on (power and ign. both on constant power, fuse 12), regardless of ignition on or not.

When I turn the car off, I turn the stereo off by hand.

Is there a possibility that from the way I have it wired I can drain the battery when parked?

I'd hate to walk out to my car only to find a dead battery.

Might I need to install a switch on the "ignition/switched power" wire? Or am I good?
McMark
I think in most cases you'll be fine. Do you have a MultiMeter? You can test the amperage being drawn when the car & stereo are off. That'll let you know if you're in 'danger' of a dead battery.
computers4kids
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 30 2006, 11:01 PM) *

You can test the amperage being drawn when the car & stereo are off.

If you have an amp as well, you can drain your battery pretty fast if you accidentally leave the stereo partially on...amp is powered up.
Twystd1
Did you wire that up that way on purpose?

To run the stereo with the key off?

C
Hammy
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Dec 30 2006, 11:12 PM) *

Did you wire that up that way on purpose?

To run the stereo with the key off?

C

Yes I wired it that way on purpose. Couple reasons for that:
Our other cars have it so that when the ignition is off, stereo stays on until door is opened. Just feels more comfortable to me
I sometimes sit with the car off and stereo on. Not for long periods of time though.
Plus it's a good reminder to me to take the face plate off. There's an auto beep thing, but it ain't enough for me.

I don't have an amp (yet)

Mark, I have a multimeter. Where am I to test the amperage drain at?
McMark
Turn off the car, turn off the stereo, pull off the + or - battery cable, connect one lead of the multimeter to the battery post and the other end of the lead to the battery cable end. What you are doing there is making all the electricity run through the meter so the meter can count/measure how much is flowing with everything turned off.
Twystd1
FYI:

I hope you have a meter that can handle 8-10 amps input or more...

Else your gunna blow up your meter. Or at least cook a fuse.

Most meters are set up for Milliamp... Not amps.

Cheers,
C

McMark
I hope his system isn't pulling 8-10 amps turned off.
Twystd1
My bad Mark..........

I thought you were talking about between the head unit and the power lead.

I just re-read the post... DUhhhhh

Brain fart......

Cheers and thanks for the clarity....

Clayton
McMark
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.