Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need new "Hell Hole Sheetmetal" and a matching Lock Set....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Hi guys...

Where is the best place to purchase some new replacement "Hell Hole/Battery Area Replacement metal"?

I also need to know if anyone has a simple way to open the trunk, I have the keys for the doors and they are stiff but work. The same key does nothing to the trunk. Before I take a slide hammer to the lock...is there a better way? OR is there someone who has a complete lock set?

Thanks...

Steve

PS Maybe I should have put this in the Classifieds? Sorry
jr91472
Got mine here. Very satisfied...

here
McMark
Hell hole metal is usually just hand formed from flat sheet metal. Those pieces from donor cars are usually just as bad.

Don't slide hammer the lock. You will do SO MUCH MORE DAMAGE. You'll need lots of socket extensions, but you can get a 10 mm socket in from the engine bay and unscrew the two bolts that hold the trunk latch in place.
t collins
agree.gif
Rusty
Check to make sure that you're not using the Valet key on the trunk lock... because it won't work.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 3 2007, 09:19 PM) *

Check to make sure that you're not using the Valet key on the trunk lock... because it won't work.

How many 914 owners actually have all the locks matching.... much less a valet key?

Rusty
Me... on all three cars... but I'm AR that way. dry.gif

Get my email?
markb
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 3 2007, 07:53 PM) *

Get my email?

Me too, but that's 'cause I re-key locks. Made it easy. biggrin.gif
Rusty
Short people are sneaky...
ws91420
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Jan 3 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Got mine here. Very satisfied...

here

agree.gif
Going to order some sheetmetal from there as well.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(markb @ Jan 3 2007, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jan 3 2007, 07:53 PM) *

Get my email?

Me too, but that's 'cause I re-key locks. Made it easy. biggrin.gif

I just drove the car to the locksmith, and gave them a brand new key and had them cut it from the lock, and not an old key.

They also cut a plain metal key on one side only. The reason for this was to provide a "template" key for any future keys we have cut. That one sided key will never wear, because it can't be used in the car, but it has the correct pattern for the locks.

I would suggest getting one cut like that yourself.

And yes, I got your mail.
914rrr
Does the new engine shelf / hell hole metal piece extend all the way to the firewall, or is fabrication still needed?

I'm getting ready to replace an engine shelf that was butchered due to dealer AC installation.
quadracerx
Thanks you guys....that Restoration Design place is awsome....it has everything I need...

As for the lock issue on the trunk....if I have a super long extension...if I can get in from the engine bay ill try...

But are you saying that if a locksmith will do a house call he could get it unlocked and make a key? I will do that as a last resort...

Thanks...

Steve
914rrr
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Jan 3 2007, 08:18 PM) *

Thanks you guys....that Restoration Design place is awsome....it has everything I need...

As for the lock issue on the trunk....if I have a super long extension...if I can get in from the engine bay ill try...

But are you saying that if a locksmith will do a house call he could get it unlocked and make a key? I will do that as a last resort...

Thanks...

Steve

Several years ago I called AAA to unlock my teener at a convention center parking lot. The old guy they sent out actually hand filed a key to fit the lock on the spot! Not sure if anybody still does house calls like that.
Chris Pincetich
Restoration design was great to work with. I wasn't sure how bad my rust was, and it is usually worse than you can see at first, so I ordered several pieces. When I didn't need to use them all, I was able to return them minus a small re-stock fee. beerchug.gif
mrhurtalot
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 3 2007, 09:51 PM) *

How many 914 owners actually have all the locks matching.... much less a valet key?

me! boldblue.gif

but my pasenger side lock is borked!

any way. find a friend with a pick set. or a set of auto jigglers more likely

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.