Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "9 & "11 GT Flairs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke
I like the look feel of the steel 7" & 9" GT steel flares ... But have been kicking around the idea of going larger with the 9" & 11" glass flares since I am build a Lil' Street burner with a 280 hp Subie ...

Thought they may look a bit more aggressive, but retain the 70's factory race feel ...

Anybody running them ? ... photos ? ...

Thx. Dave
nomore9one4
Look up member Ron s.
boxstr
Yes I am, it is a V8 417 horse burnout.gif
CCLINAV8INJLO
Crazyhippy
Dekman has the wide flares in the rear...

I know he has more pics floating around if you search for them...
slothness
I'm pretty sure I got a couple of pics of the same car at GAF 2006.

Aaron Cox
dekmans are custom widened metal rears... nice work.

7's and 11' flares
boxstr
A few more pics of 9" and 11" steel GT flares on JLO.
RON S.

I like'm that way.Next order of bidness will be to replace the glass flares with steel ones.

Ya gotta love the wide look. biggrin.gif

Ron
BMartin914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jan 4 2007, 07:07 AM) *

I like'm that way.Next order of bidness will be to replace the glass flares with steel ones.

Ya gotta love the wide look. biggrin.gif

Ron

I love that rear valance.
nomore9one4
Craig and Ron...Those cars look killer with those flares. I wanted the 11" when I did mine but could not find them at the time. I am presently considering a change to "steel" so I may change the 9" to 11" if I can find someone who can make them. driving.gif
Aaron Cox
i think they show how it was done on armando's GT site... (widening flares that is)
Luke
Wow ..... I was hoping that they wouldn't look so good !.. then steel "7 & "9's would be a no brainer ...

Boxstr - No wonder you need that much tire ... biggrin.gif

I know I had seen someone who widen the steel flair, but couldn't remember were on the web that was .. Thx .. Thought about that option too ....

What size tire and wheel are you guys running ?... Yes back to the ol' Tire size thing.. Ha ... couldn't find anything in the archives for these flares ....
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 4 2007, 08:48 AM) *

i think they show how it was done on armando's GT site... (widening flares that is)

here is the link http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/gt_steel_fende...stall_rear_left
RON S.
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jan 4 2007, 07:41 AM) *

Craig and Ron...Those cars look killer with those flares. I wanted the 11" when I did mine but could not find them at the time. I am presently considering a change to "steel" so I may change the 9" to 11" if I can find someone who can make them. driving.gif

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 4 2007, 08:48 AM) *

The do-it-yourself method is the only thing that's gonna work in this case.

I'll be widening my own rears when the time comes.

That's what they make mig welders and grinders for. welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Ron
John
Are the front flares wider too? We have been running 9" wheels onour flared car (front and back) for many many years. Why do people keep calling them 7" flares in the front?

One can fit a 7" rim under the stock fender in the front with little difficulty. We even have a 930 front suspension (about 2" wider) in ours and the 9" rims still fit.

Were the wider rear flares ever really available? Are they all custom widened 2" by sectioning in additional steel (how I thought the steel ones were made)?

I'm just curious. I don't need or want those.
Aaron Cox
hm... i always thought the limits for front flares were 8's ...

goot to know.

SirAndy mentioned he came across PN for the wider flares.....
John Kelly
The way Armando did it is a good way to go. You could simply weld in strips of metal, and then add some shape using a ballpeen hammer and sand bag then hammer and dolly and shrinking disc to get good flow with little or no filler.

You can also stretch a lot more than you might think. Looking at the pictures, it might be possible to stretch the tops of the flares enough to get two more inches without cutting or welding at all. Thinning the metal a small amount over a fairly large area makes big changes without compromising strength. You would stretch lumps into the top of the flare, smooth and flatten them down, and repeat many times to get the metal to grow, somewhat like the effect of using a rolling pin on pie dough. Easier than it sounds, but plenty of work.

A simple way to see how much metal can "grow" is to take a 1/4" wide strip and hit it with a hammer over a flat steel surface until it is 1/3 again it's original width. Then measure the difference in thickness. Then imagine doing this over an area 5"-6" wide. There are some very fast methods for doing this that I have posted before. I will be add more soon.

In Craig's case, yellow is faster...

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
RON S.
[quote name='John' date='Jan 4 2007, 10:46 AM' post='842477']
Are the front flares wider too? We have been running 9" wheels onour flared car (front and back) for many many years. Why do people keep calling them 7" flares in the front?

The fronts on my car are the same size as any other front flare.However,mine are a full fender cap.

They overlay the fender,from the bumper to the windshield post.

The wheels are 8"wide,and do not rub.

In a few weeks,I'll be upgrading the front brakes to '78 930 full floating units.the hubs have an extra 1" spacer on'em.That'll push the wheels out an extra inch a piece.

It does look from a side look that the fenders'll take it.I'll know for sure when I start bolting all the hardware on.I believe 9" rims will work under the front standard flares.

Ron
SirAndy
QUOTE(Luke @ Jan 3 2007, 06:28 PM) *

Anybody running them ? ... photos ? ...

soon. i have a set that yet have to be mounted. bought the wheels first but they were waaaay too wide for the standard GT flares.
so i bought a set of the wide ones ...

i'm sure McMark will post pictures once we get to the mounting ...
smile.gif Andy
Luke
Great info ...

Ron.. have the glass flares been that bad ?..

I wonder if there would be any benefit of expanding a steel fair on the bench with a buck or would that allow for too much twisting ... Hate to weld in a flair, then screw it up ...

Also have been thinking about " the chicken or the egg " ... Match the wheels to the flares or flares to the wheels ... especially with expanding the steel ones ...
boxstr
The fronts on JLO are 9" and the rears are 11". I would say that, you are doing the same amount of work glass or metal, I would mount metal flares. It may cost a little more in the beginning, but you make it up in the end when you sell the car.
CCLINFLAREDINTHEEND
slothness
Doesnt fiberglass wobble at high speeds though, especially that wide? Or do you brace the flare with some steel? Or am I just smoke.gif
PORobinSCHE
I like the extra wide look, that's the way i want to go with my car. beerchug.gif
dekman
Yes, I have 9" front and 11" in the rear. In the rear, 2" steel added to GT flares by previous owner. Love "Big Butts"! (on 914's only). bye1.gif
RON S.
QUOTE(Luke @ Jan 4 2007, 04:33 PM) *

Great info ...

Ron.. have the glass flares been that bad ?..

Also have been thinking about " the chicken or the egg " ... Match the wheels to the flares or flares to the wheels ... especially with expanding the steel ones ...

In a word Luke,yes the glass flares were that bad.

They came from AIR,and one side fit perfectly.The other side had a terrible "droop" to it when hung on the car.It took a lot of cutting and re-glassing on one side to make them look acceptable.

With the steel,I'll put a 15"wheel on to get the line-up and weld'm in.The I'll cut them similar to Armando's site,and re-install the 18's re-fit the sheetmetal and re-weld up each side.Won't be a problem

Ron
Mugs914
Hi Ron,

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but where did you find the extended SE spoiler with an oil cooler cut out? Did you have to do it yourself or is someone making them that way?

BTW- I used to have an '88 Merkur, loved it. Wouldn't mind to build another one of these days...
Luke
dekman,
Almost forgot to post and tell you .." Damn, that looks Nasty "

Thanks all, for the photos and info .... guess i'll be widening some steel ... welder.gif
PORobinSCHE
Dekman, what size wheels/tires are you using on the rear??

R
dekman
Rear: 11x16 Al "Fuchs type" 3 piece rims. Toyo RA1 255-50ZR 16 tires.(sticky street tires - love them!) beerchug.gif
matthepcat
Bumping this thread smash.gif

I have 9" front and 11" rear flares

I am trying to find a front valance that mates up to 9" front flares.

Anyone know of a vendor that supplies rather than custom?

Thank You! driving.gif

Matt

IPB Image
scotty b
We will need more pictures of your car before we can answer that question.
Andyrew
Those wheels are killer!! What are they?
TurboWalt
Who can make me a set of JLO flares in steel? I know I'm gonna need some serious tire behind my LS.
matthepcat
Here is a slightly old picture before I fixed my headlights, But that give a front view.

IPB Image

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 31 2010, 05:02 PM) *

We will need more pictures of your car before we can answer that question.

matthepcat
Thanx for the compliment.

Actually the car is running a Chevy bolt pattern, and these are old school hotrod "slot" mags that I am running with the wheels flipped around. ( Obviously I painted them black and made a center plate out of aluminum for the Porsche emblem.

Here is an example:
IPB Image

I am looking to sell eventually when I go to a 16 or 17 wheel.

It's getting tough to find selection in 15" tires in wide sizes.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 31 2010, 10:04 PM) *

Those wheels are killer!! What are they?

matthepcat
Bumping this up.
Sleepin
Gorgeous car and awesome idea on the wheels! At least you know that you will never see another set! biggrin.gif
matthepcat
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Sep 2 2010, 10:15 AM) *

Gorgeous car and awesome idea on the wheels! At least you know that you will never see another set! biggrin.gif

Thanx Sleepin for the compliments.

Yes the Porsche gods would scoff, but it give me more wheel flexibility.

Matt
Andyrew
See thats what they looked like! Then I said, Naw those cant be flipped chevy mags...
Really look killer!
matthepcat
Cheers beerchug.gif

Not to change the subject back to the original topic, but anyone have front valence suggestions for 9" front flairs?

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 2 2010, 09:46 PM) *

See thats what they looked like! Then I said, Naw those cant be flipped chevy mags...
Really look killer!
matthepcat
Bump it up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.