Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Avon Slicks. Input please?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Dominic L
Just got my -6 and trying to figure out what slicks to run in autocross. I'll be in a PCA modified class with race cars running goodyear and hoosier slicks. I've been autocrossing for 2 years now and i think i'm ready to step up. The only reason I'm considering slicks is because I don't want to bring a knife to a gunfight ! Being in the Northeast, I do understand that r compounds will work better in the colder temps, so I'll probably have a set of A6's on hand too.

That said, what compound Avon tire is comparable to the goodyear 250 compound slick? Reason for avon is they are available in a lot more sizes (width mainly) then the Goodyear and Hoosier slicks. My car has streched rear quarters with 225 50 tires on it and the front fenders are stock with 205 50 tires so I'm not sure I'll be able to fit the 8 or 9 in cantilever slicks under my fenders and quarters. Some pics of my car here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=66527

Any help is appreciated.
nebreitling
you probably won't fit the canti's unless you don't mind doing some more pulling.

Avon Tech Ra is a Dot-R comparable to a hoosier/hancook. easy to get in the states.

Avon also makes a bias ply and a radial slick tire (non-dot-r) in a 195 and 205 width (non-cantilevered; those sizes are remarkable conservative; the 205 is easily a 225 and calls for a 8" wide rim). these are used and designed primarily for formula cars, but in talking with the guys at AIM, they told me that they have mounted them on lightweight door-slammers to great success. compounds are limited in sizes that would fit a 914. bring some money for shipping from the uk, no one i've found in the states keeps a sizable stock of these.

i know what you mean about "bringing a knife to a gunfight", but if i were you, i would just go with hoosiers, 710s, hancook's (softest compound), or tech Ra's in the sizes you listed above. as you know, they will all perform marvelously. either that, or go ahead and pull out the fenders some more. 15" production slicks or 16" GT-class slicks will get you some incredible stick if you can heat them up.

btw: your car is beautiful!!
dinomium
I drove DH Hunt's car with Avons at the WCC06, it stayed pretty well stuck, ping him... he ran them last year...
Dominic L
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to start off with the A6's. I'll just have to drive the wheels off the car!

There's one club, MSNE, that i can compete in unlimited class. Street driven cars with mucho mod's but r compound tires. Should do ok there. Just have to drive my best at the Porsche club events!

BTW, Nathan, I had eyes for you're car a few months back. Wrong time, wrong coast for me! Thanks for the compliment!! Good luck in your shifter cart racing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.