Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: couple quick CHT gauge questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
So I received my Dakota Digital CHT gauge today mueba.gif Looks great

Anyways, I have some questions and I want some answers cool_shades.gif

1 - The gauge sender washer/loop/ring end is just a hair too small to slide/thread onto the spark plug. I did order the correct size, 14mm, but it seems still just a tad too small. Is it ok to open the hole up just a little tiny bit more? It seems highly doubtful it'd be a problem, but just checking.

2 - Does the sender ring replace the spark plug washer? If not, does it go in front of the washer, or in between the washer and plug?

3 - The gauge has a night dimming feature so that when the headlights are turned on, it dims the output of the gauge (it's a digital display). I notice there are some unhooked male spade connectors in the center tunnel wiring harness, behind the shifter. They have a plastic protector box around them. What are they for? I think I've read that they're for center console gauge lights, correct?

Thanks for any help
Dave_Darling
#3 -- The wires are for all of the center console stuff. Look for a grey wire or a black wire with a blue stripe--those are the instrument light circuit.

--DD
Aaron Cox
bump for hammy to get some answers on CHT
McMark
1- Yep, I've seen people grind them. I can't say for sure if it affects the readings, but I doubt it does.

2- I leave the crush washer on.

3- Those wires sound like the right ones. Use a voltmeter to check if they come on when you turn the headlights on. wink.gif
Rand
File the inside with a round file just enough so you can thread it on. When it gets past the threads there is a groove it will fit freely in. It won't hurt anything.
SLITS
Just thread the ring on like you were screwing the sparkplug into it's hole. It'll work.
Hammy
Thanks AA for the bump

I tried to thread it onto the plug like it was a washer but it wouldn't tighten down without bending and breaking the sender loop. I ended up opening the loop a tiny bit with with a fat drill bit and it slid on smile.gif

the wires in the center tunnel worked perfectly.... I've got switched 12v, ground and power from the lights for the dimming feature clap56.gif Works great

So far head temps only hit about 310 around town under heavy load. The real test comes when I hit the freeway and some hills... :gulp:

Thanks all - Z.
spunone
Hammy which gauge did you buy and how long where the wires did you dash mount or in the center consule
Hammy
QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 16 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Hammy which gauge did you buy and how long where the wires did you dash mount or in the center consule

I got the black Odyssey Series II gauge, you can see it here.
I mounted it in my center console. I can get pics if you want.
it's pretty expensive compared to the VDO CHT gauges but this one is temperature compensated and spot on, really easy to read numbers too. The reaction time of it is really quick too... I feel it was well worth it.

I had to order an 18 foot length wire (part # SEN-11-8) because that apparently was the only one with a 14mm sender thats needed for our plugs. You have to find that sender in their online catalog separately and add it to your cart separately because it's not listed on the drop down choices on the gauge pages...
spunone
Wonder if you can put on a switch and use another sender and do both sides ??
Rand
QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 16 2007, 04:22 PM) *

Absolutely.
Hammy
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 16 2007, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 16 2007, 04:22 PM) *

Absolutely.

Just don't cut the sender wires smile.gif
spunone
Talked to the fellas at Dakota Dig nope can't use a switch unless its a special type around 200.00 gulp I'll say thats special so no on the switch >I also told them they should make a shorter sending unit for the 14mm plug like say 10 foot since it would be cheaper with less wire and there are millons of guys with Short cars LOL
Hammy
QUOTE(spunone @ Jan 30 2007, 12:40 PM) *

Talked to the fellas at Dakota Dig nope can't use a switch unless its a special type around 200.00 gulp I'll say thats special so no on the switch >I also told them they should make a shorter sending unit for the 14mm plug like say 10 foot since it would be cheaper with less wire and there are millons of guys with Short cars LOL

Bummer.

Yeah I couldn't figure out why the 14mm was only available in 18 feet. pretty long. all coiled up under my console.
spunone
They say you can cut it just can't add to it at least thats what they told me
Rand
My info said not to cut it at all... Don't shorten it, just coil up the excess. Like Hammy, I also have an extra bundle of wire behind my center console. laugh.gif

But then again, mine is an analog VDO. Perhaps this digital unit is different. confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
resistance changes with wire length right? so if they are designed to be accurate with 18 feet of wire... you leave it at 18 smile.gif
spunone
Ok so why did 1 sales scum then a tech guy say you may cut the wire.This is Dakota dig that I spoke to????
spunone
Oh yeah I think they made the sender for a vw bus
eeyore
If you get the 12mm sender, you get a choice between 10, 14, & 18, or something like that.

They tell to to NOT cut the wire, but the interesting thing is the sender is 2 pieces. A short (1 foot) lead on the sender ring itself, then the remain length of wire. All bolted together with itty-bitty bolts and nuts. The gauge has adjustments for sender temp ranges, but not sender wire lengths.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.