Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I have the parts which should I build?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2teeners
<_<
Cost is an object, I don't want to spend big $$$ but a few hundred is Ok. Looking to build a good street driver. If I could find some 1.8 heads I'd use those, so far no luck.
I plan on enlarging the exhaust ports on the 1.7 to be more like a 2.0 head,

I've never driven a carb'd car, or one without a stock cam. I like low end torque, but an engine that "comes on the cam" a little more than stock would be nice.

So what do you guys think?
Brad Roberts
Go with the 1911 carbed. They rock. Very smooth engine that like to RPM (short stroke) but has good power up high.

I personally would use 2.0 heads on it... but 1.7 heads with 2.0 sized valves would work almost as well.

B
Gint
I had a 1.8 w 96 mm P/C's (1911), 40IDF's and a hydraulic lifters (unknown origin and don't know if it still had stock FI cam). LOVED that car. The low end torque was fantastic, but it was still fairly linear to 5500rpm. Should be one of the cheapest options as well.
Mueller
Ginter,

Did you have that set up in the yellow car that I drove in Texas?

That car did scoot along very nicely, even with both of our big ass's in it smile.gif

Mueller
2teeners
A mild surprise so far. I thought the 2.0l would be everyone's choice. A rev'r would be fun, and the carbs look so damn cool on it.
Brad Roberts
You said "few hundred"... I dont know of ANY 2.0s that can be had for a few hundred dollars. I would never pick anything but the 2.0... then I would make it a 2056 with the larger 96mm P+C's.

Humm. I know where a good running 2.0 is locally.. carbed for 800$

B
Gint
Mueller

Yup, that's the one. Hinkle owns it now.
2teeners
what i meant was I would spend a few hundred more beyond the parts i have to build the motor.

Brad, can you point me to some 71x96 pistons? I've got barrels I can bore if needed. and any deals on 1.8 or 2.0 heads to top it off?

laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
Brand new 96's for the 71 crank are something like 350$ or under 300$. Just buy new ones.. dont jack around with cutting 94's to make them 96's. (I know this is what Raby does)

I ran across several sets of 2.0 heads yesterday in my stash. Problem is: I get 400-500$ for them depending on how complete they are. I dont keep cracked ones..

B
r_towle
read and remember
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.