Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear hub mods?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MartyYeoman
To all:

I'm currently in the process of renewing both rear axles replacing all CV joints, boots, and bearings.
I'm at the point where I have the the hubs (four bolt) out and want to know what I can do to them to provide myself 5 bolt options in the future. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Drill and tap five bolt pattern into hub flange. This seems weak to me. Not enough wheel bolt engagement on the five bolt pattern.

2) Drill five bolt pattern, spotface rear of hub and install threaded boss to add thread depth to match four bolt pattern. Probably press fit with keeper keys to prevent rotation.

3) Forget about options and reinstall existing hubs unchanged.

Personally I like idea two the best.

What do you think??
914nerd
Look up Eric Shea in the member vendors section
He sells 5-lug converted hubs that look to be quite well done and he has a good reputation around here
Mueller
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jan 19 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Look up Eric Shea in the member vendors section
He sells 5-lug converted hubs that look to be quite well done and he has a good reputation around here

Marty is a professional designer/machinest, I know he is capable of doing the mods smile.gif

Marty, I'd opt for #2 or #3...the problem with #2 is whether or not you'll have enough room to access on the farside to install the studs when the assembly is complete. I think Andy mentioned he once installed studs into his hubs while they were on the trailing arms. Another problem with #2 is ensuring that you get the studs perfectly perp. with the hub to wheel mounting surface. I think I'll be able to drop off the CV's this sat.

914nerd
Well, given that piece of information, #2 if you reallly want the 5-lug and #3 if you don't really want them
MartyYeoman
I just took a look at Eric's converted hub's. He has studs installed and I was thinking of only adding additional threaded holes to allow either four or five bolt wheels to bolt up. Are lug bolts an issue with five bolt wheels? Is there a reason to only use studs?
Mueller
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Jan 19 2007, 12:53 PM) *

I just took a look at Eric's converted hub's. He has studs installed and I was thinking of only adding additional threaded holes to allow either four or five bolt wheels to bolt up. Are lug bolts an issue with five bolt wheels? Is there a reason to only use studs?

new Porsches use bolts, my 3300 pound Volvo uses bolts....one threaded hole will remain common between the 4 lug and 5 lug, but there will be one that is pretty close (do a layout with your CAD system using 14mm holes and you'll see how close)
Aaron Cox
eric spot faces and uses 7mm bosses... tacked onto the hub.

press the stud into the boss and blammo... same engagement depth as 911 hubs and 914/6 and early 914 hubs....

AA
John
I like the studded hubs.

A. they hold the wheel up while you start the firs lug nut
B. they allow you to visually know how many threads are engaged with the nut (if using the steel nuts)

C. they can be replaced if one gets boogered (threaded holes are harder to replace)
D. it's just the right thing to do.

I like eric's hubs. I just prefer 911 hubs. (I still never recieved those, damn Post Office)
plas76targa
Hi Marty! hijacked.gif

ditto what Aaron said. he put it better words than I could.

Eric had a nice post on the drilling the hubs and the welded additions. Forgive for not looking it up to add here.

All's fair on the east coast.

Matt
McMark
Huh.... Universal hubs would be interesting. Unbolt the four lug, bolt up a five lug. idea.gif

I have some boxster five lug wheels you can borrow indefinitely. You'll need to find spacers to run them, but they'll fit stock fenders.
914werke
confused24.gif waste of time .

Ill sell you a set that are already drilled and include the alloy bolts smile.gif
Aaron Cox
they cant be universal...

youhave to press a stud thru one of the originalholes.... that means you have to ream out those threads.....
Eric_Shea
Mike I've sent a couple e-mails. Are you available? I don't have my database with your phone number. Can you let me know CV status?

Aa, I think they're talking about 4-5 "threaded" hubs... cool idea. Rotor would have to be drilled to match.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 19 2007, 05:37 PM) *

Mike I've sent a couple e-mails. Are you available? I don't have my database with your phone number. Can you let me know CV status?

Aa, I think they're talking about 4-5 "threaded" hubs... cool idea. Rotor would have to be drilled to match.

OHHHH!!!

why? LOL

btw... why not use /6 rotors?
Eric_Shea
well... in that example you wouldn't be able to go back to 4-lug. wink.gif

(switch back and forth)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 19 2007, 05:44 PM) *

well... in that example you wouldn't be able to go back to 4-lug. wink.gif

(switch back and forth)

you are a closet transvestite arent you....
(switch back and forth)
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 19 2007, 03:07 PM) *

I have some boxster five lug wheels you can borrow indefinitely. You'll need to find spacers to run them, but they'll fit stock fenders.

Thanks for the offer Mark. I will definitely keep it in mind. clap56.gif
MartyYeoman
Just finished these. Now I can go either way. (Four or Five lug that is.)Click to view attachment
John
Well for that to work out for you, you will still need to custom drill every rear rotor that you buy for the car. With a shared hole, you could have used a standard 914-6 or 911 vented rear brake rotor (the screw holes would line up).

It would still be cool to be able to use 4-lug OR 5-lug wheels without changing setups. It could mess with some heads until they see your secret.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.