Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Good Chili
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
I don't think I've ever had bologne sauce... do they trim the plastic rings off the slices before they make it? biggrin.gif

Tell ya what - join the convoy from Texas to the Rocket City Ramble, and I'll make you a batch of my own chili. If, after tasting it, you honestly say you don't like it - I'll personally pay your registration fee. smile.gif

-Rusty chowtime.gif
KaptKaos
This thread started me thinking about chili.

I make my own, with a recipe I have had for years. However, I have always used store bought chili powder and other dried spices. I can't help but think that I might get a more unique or flavorful chili if I made my own chili powder or chili paste. I don't know which chilis to use or in what proportions, so if any of you do this, please let me know.

My recipe uses pork. I have also seen recipes that use pork butt or rib meat. Does anyone else do this? If so, what are the ratios and what's the process?

Yes, I like beans too. Mostly red kidney beans, but I am open to suggestions.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 1 2008, 01:31 PM) *

I don't think I've ever had bologne sauce... do they trim the plastic rings off the slices before they make it? biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've never heard of bologne sauce, so can't help you with that. We make our bolognese sauce in the Italian style, lots of meat, pork and veal, lots of garlic, very little tomato sauce, butter instead of cream, and no damned fagioli!

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 1 2008, 01:31 PM) *

Tell ya what - join the convoy from Texas to the Rocket City Ramble, and I'll make you a batch of my own chili. If, after tasting it, you honestly say you don't like it - I'll personally pay your registration fee. smile.gif

I trust your chili beans are good, Rusty, so I'm sure that's a generous offer. Unfortunately I'll be on the west coast that week, so maybe some other time?
Rusty
I can't count the times I've come back here for my recipe. Tonight is another one of those times. :-)
Rusty
Back again for my recipe.

This weekend is gonna be perfect for chili. chowtime.gif

-R
maf914
I've been thinking about making a pot of chili as well. I usually use ground beef as opposed to diced beef. And yes, I add beans, either pintos or red kidneys. Both ingredients are considered to be no-no's in chili cook-off practice. rolleyes.gif

Speaking of canned chili, I do like Hormel Chili without Beans on my chili dogs. Has that nasty chili dog taste you get from hot dog stands. laugh.gif
Coondog
Ok admin do your job and move this to the proper forum.........Oh my bad it’s the same admin who started this post in 2007 and now reposted this non 914 content again in 2019... WTF.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 31 2019, 09:52 AM) *

Back again for my recipe.

This weekend is gonna be perfect for chili. chowtime.gif

-R

Wendy's "Chili" aka "Grill scrapings" has beans in it.

Putting beans in chili is like putting an elevator in an outhouse.... it don't belong, and only leads to stromberg.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Ok admin do your job and move this to the proper forum.........Oh my bad it’s the same admin who started this post in 2007 and now reposted this non 914 content again in 2019... WTF.gif

This thread is clearly marked OT to allow people like you to ignore it ...
shades.gif

Rusty
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 09:51 AM) *

IPB Image
Coondog
QUOTE(Rusty @ Oct 31 2019, 09:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 09:51 AM) *

IPB Image

Your right, your a admin on this site so follow the same rules you apply to everyone else.
Rusty
Reading and spelling aren't your strengths, are they?

This thread existed 8 years before you joined the site. Chill and switch to decaf.

-Rusty

P.S. Chili without beans is spicy spaghetti sauce. Just saying, @clayperrine .
ClayPerrine
Subject: Texas Chili Cook Off

> If you can read this whole story without laughing then there's no hope
>
> for you. I was crying by the end. Note: Please take time to read this
slowly.
>
> I've read this probably 5 times and it never fails to reduce me to
>
> tears of laughter). Hope it does the same for you!!! beer3.gif
>
>
>
> If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of the third
>
> judge is even better. For those of you who have lived in Texas, you
>
> know how true this is.
>
>
>
> They actually have a Chili Cook Off about the time Halloween comes
around.
>
>
>
> It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the San Antonio City
Park. Judge #3
>
> was an inexperienced Chili Taster named Frank, who was visiting from
Springfield, IL.
>
>
>
> Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili
>
> cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I
>
> happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for
>
> directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was
>
> assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't
>
> be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer
>
> during the tasting, so I accepted."
>
>
>
> Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
>
> *****************************************************
>
> CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI...
>
> Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
>
> Judge # 2 - Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
>
> Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried
> paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the
> worst one. These Texans are crazy.
>
>
> CHILI # 2 - AUSTIN'S AFTERBURNER CHILI...
>
> Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.
>
> Judge #2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
>
> Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed
> to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich
> maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
>
>
> CHILI # 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI...
>
> Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
>
> Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
>
> Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been
> snorting Draino. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite.
> Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm
> getting shit-faced from all of the beer.
>
>
> CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC...
>
> Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
>
> Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild
> foods not much of a chili.
>
> Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is
> it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beermaid, was standing behind me with
> fresh refills. That 300-LB woman is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear waste
> I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?
>
>
> CHILI # 5 LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
>
> Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable
> kick. Very impressive.
>
> Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne
> peppers make a strong statement.
>
> Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer
> focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant
> seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my
> tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm
> burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop
> screaming. Screw those rednecks.
>
>
> CHILI # 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
>
> Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and
> peppers.
>
> Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
>
> Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric
> flames. I shit on myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No
> one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I
> need to wipe my ass with a snow cone.
>
>
> CHILI # 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI...
>
> Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
>
> Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at
> the last moment. **I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be
> in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
>
> Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a
> thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water.
> My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full
> of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've
> decided to stop breathing it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway.
> If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
>
>
> CHILI # 8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI...
>
> Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy
> enough to declare its existence.
>
> Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to
> see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the
> chili pot down on top of himself.
>
> Not sure if he's going to make it. poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really
> hot chili?
>
> Judge # 3 - No Report
Coondog
On second thought I do like chili

[ADMIN Edit: Image removed. Again, no politics please]
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 09:30 AM) *
Your right, your a admin on this site so follow the same rules you apply to everyone else.

There's a difference between off-topic posts and political discussions.
You tried to bring real world politics into a thread (again), which is against the rules.

Talking about Chili (if clearly marked OT) is not.
shades.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 10:49 AM) *

On second thought I do like chili

If you ever get out this way, I'll make you some. chowtime.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2019, 09:50 AM) *

You tried to bring real world politics into a thread (again), which is against the rules.

shades.gif

Just trying to see if you admin play by your same rules !!
Apparently Not.

Off topic discussions about chili don’t belong in the Garage.

Unobtanium-inc
I once traded a 914 motor for some chili, it was good chili! Thanks Brett!

Since I was able to work a 914 into a sentence with chili, does this now make it ON Topic?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 09:56 AM) *

shades.gif

Apparently Not.

Again, off topic discussions in the garage are *not* against the rules (if they are clearly marked OT).

You, on the other hand, are trying really hard to sneak political content into discussions, which *is* against the rules.

No matter how butthurt you are that your political posts have been removed, politics and general OT comments are *not* the same thing.
rolleyes.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2019, 10:09 AM) *
Again, off topic discussions in the garage are *not* against the rules (if they are clearly marked OT).

You, on the other hand, are trying really hard to sneak political content into discussions, which *is* against the rules.

No matter how butthurt you are that your political posts have been removed, politics and general OT comments are *not* the same thing.
rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65693

• Racism doesn't have a place at 914World.
  • Don't call anyone names. Treat other members like your mother taught you - If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. No personal attacks.
  • We like everyone to be able to have their voice, so we won't edit, delete or lock a thread or post unless it's just gotta be done. Keep yer dirty pictures in the Sandbox, too. We'll do our best to send you a PM before we clean up yer messes.
  • We hope you use our classifieds, but the 914World team can't be responsible for the actions of buyers and sellers. Remember the latin "Caveat Emptor"... (translation: let the buyer beware.)
  • Please, let's not talk about Politics & Religion. Wars have been fought for years and years because of Politics and Religion, so let's keep 'em out of 914World.
  • Remember keep yer dirty pictures in the Sandbox. Yes, this includes avatars and pictures in signatures.
  • We welcome your off topic posts, but please label your post so it's obvious (begin your topic with "OT:").
Coondog
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 31 2019, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 09:56 AM) *

shades.gif

Apparently Not.

rolleyes.gif

I don’t give a rats ass about those post being deleted, those who know me know I couldn’t give a shit about that. But hey if you want to turn 914world.com into a cooking site then go for it. Tomorrow I will post about the bacon and eggs I made for breakfast.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 31 2019, 12:18 PM) *

I don’t give a rats ass about those post being deleted, those who know me know I couldn’t give a shit about that. But hey if you want to turn 914world.com into a cooking site then go for it. Tomorrow I will post about the bacon and eggs I made for breakfast.

As long as you clearly mark the thread with "OT" so everyone knows it is off topic, there will be no repercussions. But, if you add political commentary, pictures, or political references of any sort, then the thread will be deleted and you will get a timeout.

Don't believe me... Try me.
SteveL
I'm making the neighborhood smell GREAT.
2 racks of thick babybacks, smoked over hickory and cherry.
About 2 hours to go. Gotta get started on that cornbread...
chowtime.gif
Click to view attachment
Coondog
Just ate at the Spaghetti Factory in Redlands. I sure like this thread......... grouphug.gif
Rusty
Needed this recipe to start chili for tomorrow... gonna be a rainy day so perfect for something warm. smile.gif
rhodyguy
Look for the ‘Carol Shelby chili fixin’s’ at the store. It Never disappoints. Use caution with the included cyan pepper. I throw the corn massa (it thickens the chili) flour away.
KELTY360
"I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone."

Now that's a testimonial to some serious chili.
porschetub
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 9 2023, 10:32 AM) *

"I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone."

Now that's a testimonial to some serious chili.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.