Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Good Chili
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rusty
I made some chili a couple of weeks ago. It just didn't turn out right. It wasn't bad... but it could have come out of a can. dry.gif

I tried again... and OMG... this stuff is just deadly. aktion035.gif

I can always tell when I skimp on chili or decide to make it on a whim. Good chili takes DAYS to make. Soaking beans for two days. 15-18 hours simmering in a crock pot. Don't rush. Don't try to sneak in and taste it. Don't get seduced by the scent wafting through the house and peeling paint off the walls. w00t2.gif

I had chili for breakfast this morning. chowtime.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Grelber
BEANS in CHILI???????
pete-stevers
yup........i should do that this week.......
Rusty
Two different kinds of beans, even. chowtime.gif

(I know, I know, you Texasn... Get a rope...)
Grelber
There was a "newbie" that put beans in his chile at a cook off. They made him pick each one out before they'd even taste it.

FYI: Beans were initially put in chili to "extend" it, so it'd feed more guys out on the range. You could keep dried beans a long time.
neo914-6
Ok Lawrence, where's the recipe? I've been thinking about making some...

What's chili without the beans, hot meat sauce? laugh.gif
Grelber
biggrin.gif
Rusty
1/2 lb red beans
1/2 lb pinto beans
5 medium tomatoes,chopped

2 large onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
1 stalk fresh chopped celery (optional)

1 lb ground pork sausage, regular Jimmy Dean works well

3 tbs butter
2 lbs ground chuck, sub finely chopped steak for a different texture

2 T salt
1 1/2 t pepper
1 1/2 t cumin seeds

1/3 c fresh chili's (or sub chili powder)
12 oz can of tomato sauce

1. Soak beans in water for two days. Drain. Place beans in pot, cover with water and cook on high until boiling begins. Take off heat. Drain. Place into crockpot. Add fresh water to cover beans.
2. Chop tomatos coarsely. Add to crock pot.
3. Brown pork sausage until crumbly. Drain fat and set to the side.
4. Melt butter and add chuck. Brown until crumbly.
5. In a 4-qt pot, saute green peppers in pork sausage fat until tender, add onions (and optional celery) and cook until tender. Stir frequently. Add garlic and parsley. Stir for 5 minutes.
6. Add pork and chuck to onion mixture. Mix well. Add to crock pot.
7. Season with salt, pepper, cumin seeds as desired. Cook covered 8 hours on high. Open crock pot, can of tomato sauce and chilis (or powder).
8. Mix and cook covered on low for 6-8 hours.
9. Skim fat from top.

I've been experimenting with adding chocolate to the mixture... but I'm going slow. Not sure what the right quantity is yet.
nycchef
the key to good chili is a chili sauce,used as a base for the flavor and heat.
try this, amounts vary so you have to try hit and miss untill you find what you like

2 parts dried gujillo chilies whole
2 parts ancho chilies whole
1 part chili de arbol dried whole

toast seperatly under a broiler until brown (do not let turn black)
soak in hot water together until soft
remove stems and seeds
puree in blender with water (you can use some of the chili water if you like but it will be very spicy) mixture should be fairly thick
chop a large white onion and saute till soft (3-4 minutes)
add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic
add tomato sauce (whole peeled in the can are fine maybe one and a half cups) add chili paste cook until mixture gets darker about 20 minutes leave out any chili powder in your recipe, you can still use cumin,mexican oregano, sugar and salt
i make the best chili in the world, so does every other chef i have ever met. good chili is what you like.

a word for you texas guys
i am opening a texas style bbq restaraunt in nyc. anyone have any ideas for side dishes that are traditional to your area.grandpa's and grandma's recipes preferered. thanks you'all ...sorry rich
Dr Evil
Armadillo muffins av-943.gif
nebreitling

a word for you texas guys
i am opening a texas style bbq restaraunt in nyc. anyone have any ideas for side dishes that are traditional to your area.grandpa's and grandma's recipes preferered. thanks you'all ...sorry rich

born/raised in texas, and i'll tell you one thing -- i haven't found good cornmeal-fried okra outside of texas or oklahoma.

good thread. stirthepot.gif

edit: rattlesnake and rocky mountain oysters, too -- but that might be a bit too exotic.
Grelber
I've only lived here (Texas) for 21+ years, so you'd have to talk to a "real" Texan for the recipes. But:

Hush Puppies
Black Eyed Peas
Potato Salad
Macaroni and Cheese
Green Salad
Bannana peppers
Relish

And all the Dr. Pepper you can drink. clap56.gif
nycchef
born/raised in texas, and i'll tell you one thing -- i haven't found good cornmeal-fried okra outside of texas or oklahoma.

how do you do the okra. i have an idea, any special spices? right about the snake and the oysters, this is still the north east. got the dr. pepper,big red and texas longnecks. even bringing in the butterkrust bread. keep it coming.

p.s dr. evil you've already had my bbq, but if you want armadillo, see if anyone has a running 914 in texas, have him roadkill us up one, and i'll cook it for you.

where's leo? idea.gif
nebreitling
just looked and i can't find the recipe (grandma would kill me anyway), but i can assure you that it's about what you'd think it is. no secrets, just the right 'touch'. and fresh okra right out of the garden, of course. most restaurants deep fry it with no cornmeal -- it comes out totally different then what i grew up with.

she would also do some mean fried-green tomatos. slice 'em, milk and egg bath, equal parts corn meal/flour, drop 'em in hot grease. salt and pepper.
Brew
Now I'm hungry!!! chowtime.gif

Any of you Texans ever had Chili Verde? My buddy from SanAntonio had never even heard of it till he moved here, now he cant get enough of it! stirthepot.gif
Grelber
My Mom did the fried w/ cornmeal okra, but most okra around here is deep fried.

If you're going to have beer, make sure you have Corona and Dos Equis. The Texas-made beer tastes like crap.

For dessert, you need cobbler (probably peach and/or berry with a soft serve machine next to it.

nebreitling
ditto agree.gif

while shiner bock is drinkable, lone star is f-ing sick. thank god for mexican beer.
cooltimes
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jan 20 2007, 02:34 PM) *

how do you do the okra. i have an idea, any special spices? right about the snake and the oysters, this is still the north east. got the dr. pepper,big red and texas longnecks. even bringing in the butterkrust bread. keep it coming.

p.s dr. evil you've already had my bbq, but if you want armadillo, see if anyone has a running 914 in texas, have him roadkill us up one, and i'll cook it for you.

where's leo? idea.gif

I took a photo capture shot of a MealMaster recipe on my computer. Is in public domain files. I have over 5000 Meal Master recipes on my computer.

Click to view attachment
Grelber
The fried okra you get at the BBQ places is just the okra, deep fried in a batter. No tomatoes, peppers garlic or onions (unless it's in the batter).

Your recipe does sound good, but not what you'd get here in Texas.

Thoward914
I agree with Grelber list of sides.

fried okra is a must, I never pass it up if it's on the menu drooley.gif

and also cole slaw
nycchef
QUOTE(Thoward914 @ Jan 20 2007, 02:31 PM) *

I agree with Grelber list of sides.

fried okra is a must, I never pass it up if it's on the menu drooley.gif

and also cole slaw

guess i should start working on the okra. got the slaw , corn bread,know the chili verde well ,will be doing on fry bread, traditional southwest style.
thanks for the help, as usual non-club members have the answers, keep it coming. hope to get help like this when i do my engine.
Grelber
Just remember the cobbler and the soft serve. biggrin.gif
Crazyhippy
Only drove through Texas. so dont consider this gospel, but i will never forget getting a steak bigger than the plate served to me by a topless girl who's..... uhhhh "personalities" were bigger than my head biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Damn good steak too...

BJH
bernbomb914
NYCChief is right on about the chile mix but the chocolate is a must to smooth it out, plus I add beer for the liquid, and I use ground cumin instead of seeds.
Bernie
Rusty
I season with tequila sometimes, as well. I just don't happen to have any right now.
JB 914
if you want it to be a "true" Texas BBQ place you will have:

picnic tables
rolls of paper towels
butcher paper covering the tables
pickles, onions, jalapenos
white bread
assorted homeade BBQ Sauce

serve: Sausage, Brisket (sliced and chopped) Chicken

sides: beans, slaw, potato salad, fried okra, blah, blah......you got the list!!

I dunno how you can replicate some of that stuff. you can have the recipe, but, it's hard to duplicate the freshness of the local okra.

I think of strawberrys here in California. they are so fresh and sweet. i have never had strawberrys that tasted better than in California. they may come close, but, they are just not as good.

good luck in your venture!!
JB 914
BTW here is the latest Chili Recipe i've used. This is quite possible the easiest and best chili recipe i've come across. I personally tested it and approve it for club use biggrin.gif stirthepot.gif thumb3d.gif

2-3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 pounds ground beef
1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce

Batch one:
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules

Batch two:
5 tablespoons red chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar

Batch three:
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

In a large heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and drain off the excess grease. Add the tomato sauce and the beef broth and simmer for 1 hour. Add all of the ingredients from Batch one, stir and simmer for 35 more minutes. Add Batch two to the pot and cook for another 20 minutes, stirring often. Add Batch three and cook for 10 more minutes. Let cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

you can add this to a can of Rotel diced tomatos w/ chilis and some velveta for awesome chili con carne dip!! chowtime.gif
Aaron Cox
WTF is okra?
JB 914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 20 2007, 09:56 PM) *

WTF is okra?

Dude, its a little vegtable that tastes like fuchin slimy green glue if not prepared correctly.

it's best fried or used in gumbo. i like it pickled too!! drooley.gif

go to Lucilles BBQ and they have it on the menu. although, i thougth it wasn't that good.

Johnny Rebs on Bellflower has it too.
cooltimes
Chili, Texas style okra and a list of Texas style recipes at this link.

http://cooking.netrelief.com/recipes/
swood

WTF is okra?

A Veggie. Just picked some. Here's a pic.

From Ethiopia.

Grown here in the South US.

Fryemupyum.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 20 2007, 11:56 PM) *

WTF is okra?

If you come to Texas, I will take you to a REAL BBQ joint. There you can find out what real Fried Okra is.

chowtime.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Jan 20 2007, 10:00 PM) *

WTF is okra?

Dude, its a little vegtable that tastes like fuchin slimy green glue if not prepared correctly.

it's best fried or used in gumbo. i like it pickled too!! drooley.gif

go to Lucilles BBQ and they have it on the menu. although, i thougth it wasn't that good.

Johnny Rebs on Bellflower has it too.

been to rebs before... got the chilli....

joe... ima have to come over and sample some fine texas cookin' LOL
JPB
There is no way one can make a pallet pleasing chili without a well aged odocioleus virginianus carcass. My friend makes a killer spagetti sauce with this stuff and it makes you wanna eat until ya blowsup!

That would be the common north american deer. beer.gif
stepuptotheMike
nothing like some chili on gameday. and for the record, I like beans in my chili.

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif

Mike
Dr Evil
Dont forget the frito pie.
cooltimes
Everyone seems to like their chili hot and other related foods HOT.
Sounds like Pepperfool.com might be useful to all the 914 chefs.
The world's best BBQ is cooked at MEMPHIS IN MAY, world's BBQ capital.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/bbq_idx.html
Grelber
Memphis BBQ is primarily pork, Texas is primarily beef.
SharonG
I used to make "Sharon's Special 4 Bean Chili" but it was heck on my men's digestive systems. icon8.gif
Pat Garvey
Allright - i've had almost every variation of chili that's out there. I prefer the stuff that makes my eyes scream & my throat beg for mercy. But, there is one iteration of chili here that's not been addressed & is only available in one area - Cincinnati chili. Don't dump on me - I said I like southwest "hotternhell" chili the best, just take this into advisement.

Grew up in the Cincinnati area. Until I learned to cook Tex-Mex I thought Cincy chili was the only chili. Then I gravitated away from it to anything that would burn a hole in my gut. I also moved away from my roots & missed the Cincy chilli that only rotted my gut when I put a quart of Tobasco on it ( sorry Cincy folks, I just happen to like things really hot).

During the last 10 years I've learned to make the Greek/Cincy style of chili. Every guest I've had from the west/east coast thought it sounded stupid to serve chili on pasta. When every one of them tasted it, they changed their opinions.

Cincy chili has a very different, select bunch of seasonings. It is NOT competition for chili with heat. But, I've met only one person who thought it wasn't good & unique.

Recipe is not for the faint hearted & dramatically different from any other chili, but I guarantee you'll love it. Anyone interested the recipe - contact me. Remember, the recipe is unique - you'll never see it anywhere else. No, it doesn't use roadkill, though........
Pat
sww914
My favorite chili ever is Chasen's Chili. It's not very Texasy, it has beans, and grated carrots, parsley, butter, ground pork and beef. It's a lot better than the weird ingredients make it sound.
Chasen's was a super expensive restaurant in Los Angeles, my Stepdad said that in the 70's the chili was $18.00 a bowl!
I'll try to find the recipe.
Rusty
icon_bump.gif

this weekend is PERFECT for chili making!

-Rusty chowtime.gif
DBCooper
If it has beans in it you need to be calling it bean stew or something. It might be tasty but it's sure as hell not chili. Pasta? Oh my Lord. And if you learned about what chili is "supposed" to be like from that Crap in a Can all I can tell you is that's that's like learning about sex from TV. Not even a little like the real thing.
zymurgist
A D.C. area local chain (Hard Times Cafe) makes a "Texas" chili that uses ground beef and spices. It contains no tomatoes. When you order it, you can order it "wet" a/k/a extra grease. You soak it up with cornbread. This is the perfect restaurant to dine at if you do the Atkins diet. One helping of this chili (without cornbread) will kick you over the edge into ketosis if your body is wavering.

They offer beans, but the beans are cooked separately from the chili. (I never get beans.)
nycchef
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 1 2008, 07:11 AM) *

A D.C. area local chain (Hard Times Cafe) makes a "Texas" chili that uses ground beef and spices. It contains no tomatoes. When you order it, you can order it "wet" a/k/a extra grease. You soak it up with cornbread. This is the perfect restaurant to dine at if you do the Atkins diet. One helping of this chili (without cornbread) will kick you over the edge into ketosis if your body is wavering.

They offer beans, but the beans are cooked separately from the chili. (I never get beans.)

i hate to chime in on food stuff but i,m up and bored so here it goes.
chili w/ beans is mexican
chili w/o beans is texas
i do this for a living and here is the final word on chili
the best chili is the one you like the best poke.gif
VaccaRabite
Just had to throw this out there.

I was born and grew up in Texas, and my Dad and grandparents are still there.

I never had beanless chili until I moved East.

When I was growing up, chili was just chili. The "Texas mystique" of beanless chili seems to be a recent thing. Dare I say, snobbery?

As to Hard Times Cafe. I have only been twice, and was sick for a day each time. Way too greasy.

When I make mine, it gets beans and beef at 1 to 1 ratios. I also usually put in corn, unsweetened chocolate, tequila, Cholula, and anything else I happen to have on hand that might taste good. I've never had a recipe, and it never tastes like it came out of a can.

Zach
DBCooper
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 1 2008, 08:23 AM) *

the best chili is the one you like the best poke.gif

Which at the end of the day is the truth... as long as it doesn't have any damned beans in it, because if it has beans in it it isn't chili. Maybe "chili beans", but not "chili".

Chili is from Texas and is a traditional Texas dish. Here are about a hundred recipes for genuine Texas chili, including state fair winners from thirty years ago, and there's not one bean in the bunch: http://www.g6csy.net/chile/recp-texas.html

You know I have to take that back, "Matt's Yankee Chili" on that list has beans in it...
Todd Enlund
Here's my Lonely Neuron Carnitas Chili Verde recipe, from the last batch that I made. It's probably nowhere near authentic, but it has won cookoffs here in Oregon. It's just a hint of heat... mild, but still too spicy for my wife. Add more peppers to make it hotter.

I don't measure while I cook, so this is just a WAG.

9 lbs Pork Shoulder
Olive oil
1 box (32oz) Pacific brand beef stock
1 box (32oz) Pacific brand chicken stock
Cumin, probably about 1 tbsp
Oregano, probably about 1 tbsp
Garlic, ~3 cloves, minced
Fresh ground black pepper, about 1 tsp
Salt to taste, probably about 1 tsp
Smoked Paprika, about 1 tsp
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 whole Habanero pepper, minced
1 whole yellow chili pepper, minced
1 Anaheim pepper, roasted, then diced.
1 can Las Palmas green enchilada sauce
1 jar La Victoria salsa verde
Corn Masa
Fresh cilantro

Cut the pork into bite size pieces, trimming most of the fat. Brown the pork in olive oil, then braise in beef and chicken stockā€¦ I used all of the beef and most of the chicken stock.

If there is any fond left in the pan, deglaze with some of the stock. Add the onion, garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, paprika and peppers. Bring to a low boil and simmer until meat is tender and falls apart easily, about two hours. If you cook longer, you'll get a pulled pork texture.

Add the enchilada sauce and salsa verde, bring back to a simmer and adjust thickness with corn masa. Chop the cilantro and add just before serving.

A warning about cooking with hot peppers, especially habaneros: wash your hands, otherwise the capsaicin will stay on your hands, and get in your eyes or irritate other sensitive areas...
Rusty
The Texans feel as passionately (and irrationally) about their chili as the Taliban feels about Mohammed.

Apparently, no Italians ever settled in Texas. Chili without beans is spicy spaghetti sauce. rolleyes.gif

-Rusty chowtime.gif
DBCooper
Hey, no need to go insulting Italians... but turn that around and you make my point. When you put beans in your bolognese sauce (gak!) is it still bolognese?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.