Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dr.914 quiz, 700 good things to know
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
So.Cal.914
Continued from Cooltimes thread (Thanks Mike) How about it Doc?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 31 2007, 12:34 PM) *

The key is extremely hard to turn in the lock cylinder and locking and unlocking is virtually impossible! I know that is the right key though! What can I do??
John
You could try squirting some penetrating oil into the lock cylinder to loosen up the hardened factory applied grease.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 03:51 PM) *

The key is extremely hard to turn in the lock cylinder and locking and unlocking is virtually impossible! I know that is the right key though! What can I do??

I don't know the answer, but sure would like to. I have this problem with both doors to an extent.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 12:59 PM) *

You could try squirting some penetrating oil into the lock cylinder to loosen up the hardened factory applied grease.

nope won't help
r_towle

Give me the keys for the 916, I will fix the lock.
Its cause you spend way way way to much time looking at those cars, and not enought time driving them...

Really, I can help.

Rich
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:04 PM) *

nope won't help

which lock?

if it's a door lock, to make the key lock/unlock nicely, it is common to clean and re-lubricate the lock mech inside the door. They get sticky over time.

Note:
This would not apply to trunk locks, glove box locks, front trunk locks, or ignition locks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 31 2007, 01:04 PM) *

Give me the keys for the 916, I will fix the lock.
Its cause you spend way way way to much time looking at those cars, and not enought time driving them...

Really, I can help.

Rich

sort of like my xke convt. The best way to enjoy that car is to look at it. Enjoyment is CERTAINLY NOT in the driving!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
IPB Image

Before we go any further I will have to admit that I am CHEATING!!!!!! I am looking in this book for all of the questions!!!!!!!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:04 PM) *

nope won't help

which lock?

if it's a door lock, to make the key lock/unlock nicely, it is common to clean and re-lubricate the lock mech inside the door. They get sticky over time.

Note:
This would not apply to trunk locks, glove box locks, front trunk locks, or ignition locks.

close enough! The latching mechanism inside the door has a slider on it that moves up and down to lock and unlock, the small door latch cam on the end of the cylinder moving it up and down. It gets dirty and takes way too much force to move finally resulting in the end of the cylinder rounding off in the cam. To make the car lock and unlock easily simply remove the door panel remove the latching mechanism, clean with brake clean and lube with penetrant that turns to grease, working the sliding mechanism (looks like a c) until smooth. You will not believe the difference!
Rand
I really love this trivia thread. Great stuff. The only thing that snags me a little about it is..... There are a ton of real-world actual problems in the garage that could use this much attention.

Don't get me wrong, and please keep this up.... But also, how 'bout we put this much effort into helping our buds solve their current/real problems?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2007, 01:18 PM) *

I really love this trivia thread. Great stuff. The only thing that snags me a little about it is..... There are a ton of real-world actual problems in the garage that could use this much attention.

Don't get me wrong, and please keep this up.... But also, how 'bout we put this much effort into helping our buds solve their current/real problems?

good point. However As I have stated several times before I am available 24 hours a day for detailed tech advice. My number here is 770 427 2844 ext 16 My home number is 770 971 4960 and my cell number is 404 308 5652. If I do not have the 914 answer i will refer you. Please do not hesitate to call at any hour. (obviously I have to sleep but if it is important to you, call me)

Good enough??
John
That's ok George, I'm using one of these:

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 01:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

thank you. disgusting picture though!!!!!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Suddenly everytime I drive my 2.0 it eventually dies and I coast to the side of the road. I do not hear the familier whir of the fuel pump for a second or two and the fuse on the relay board is blown. I put a new one in and it works for a few days and the then the whole thing starts over again! I know that I am not using the heater these days and the fuel pump "tests out" What the heck could be causing this problem. I now hesitate to drive my 914 because it is unreliable
Phoenix914
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 04:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I'll take mine with fava beans and a nice chianti.
TheCabinetmaker
wire on aar is shorting on the block.
Rand
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:26 PM) *

I have stated several times before I am available 24 hours a day for detailed tech advice. My number here is 770 427 2844 ext 16 My home number is 770 971 4960 and my cell number is 404 308 5652. If I do not have the 914 answer i will refer you. Please do not hesitate to call at any hour.
Good enough??

No, where's the satellite hookup? Why aren't you on Discovery Channel?? laugh.gif

Just kidding George. Please don't misinterpret my comments. Clearly you are going way beyond the call to be available for tech support. Quite amazing actually. Thank you!!!

This thread rocks. As I said, keep it up!!!

All I was saying was, it would be cool to see this much posting time/effort put into answering the unanswered actual problems posted in this forum.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 31 2007, 01:37 PM) *

very very close, and good enough! The valve itself is shorting internally. The aux air valve the heater fan and the fuel pump are on the same fuse!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 31 2007, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:26 PM) *

I have stated several times before I am available 24 hours a day for detailed tech advice. My number here is 770 427 2844 ext 16 My home number is 770 971 4960 and my cell number is 404 308 5652. If I do not have the 914 answer i will refer you. Please do not hesitate to call at any hour.
Good enough??

No, where's the satellite hookup? Why aren't you on Discovery Channel?? laugh.gif

Just kidding George. Please don't misinterpret my comments. Clearly you are going way beyond the call to be available for tech support. Quite amazing actually. Thank you!!!

This thread rocks. As I said, keep it up!!!

All I was saying was, it would be cool to see this much posting time/effort put into answering the actual problems posted in this forum.

being who I am there are just certain things I cannot and will not answer...like: What is the best muffler for my v-8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I of course try to answer the appropriate questions!! (someone has to tote the line!!)
dr914@autoatlanta.com
My 1.8 suddenly starts to run on three cylinders so I replace the points check the valve adjust replace the plug wire the plug and even switch the injector and just cannot figure it out! What could be the problem???
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 31 2007, 01:37 PM) *

very very close, and good enough! The valve itself is shorting internally. The aux air valve the heater fan and the fuel pump are on the same fuse!

i learned that lesson the hard way. biggrin.gif
Rand

being who I am there are just certain things I cannot and will not answer...like: What is the best muffler for my v-8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I of course try to answer the appropriate questions!! (someone has to tote the line!!)

I respect that. I wasn't referring the Chevy questions. I just mean let's put the real 914 questions in this forum above the hypothetical trivia. I just don't want to see the former getting buried by the latter.

I'm glad you're here. Thanks for toting the line. Sorry for the hijack.
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:51 PM) *

My 1.8 suddenly starts to run on three cylinders so I replace the points check the valve adjust replace the plug wire the plug and even switch the injector and just cannot figure it out! What could be the problem???

Check for spark and check for fuel. To narrow down the problem.

If no fuel (or pulses to injector), check the connector, the resistor pack or even the dual relay.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 01:51 PM) *

Check for spark and check for fuel. To narrow down the problem.

If no fuel (or pulses to injector), check the connector, the resistor pack or even the dual relay.

You are close there is a very specific problem here
John
I used to just have those connectors pop right out of the injectors.
r_towle
Injector relay pack.
Injector Ground wire
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 02:13 PM) *

I used to just have those connectors pop right out of the injectors.

They do but usually the 1.8 have a tension wire clip to prevent that. however that is not my problem
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 31 2007, 02:18 PM) *

Injector relay pack.
Injector Ground wire

nope the relay would strand them all and the ground is specific side to side. I just cannot figure this one out. It is just one cylinder that is not working!!!! Help me
Allan
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 01:26 PM) *

A deformed testicle? huh.gif
John
Is it fuel or spark?

Which cylinder?
John
A deformed testicle?

You are a what?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(John @ Jan 31 2007, 02:32 PM) *

Is it fuel or spark?

Which cylinder?

911quest
Which cylinder?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
What has happened is that one white wire on the resistor block has broken from its crimp knocking out a cylinder. Simply remove the block (mounted on the side of the battery stand, looks like four cigarettes in an aluminum holder) and open the crimp and recrimp. (soldering never holds well enough)
I'm back on the road again!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I finally arrive home one night after dropping off my babe. ( I like to hit and run) I pull into the garage in my 914-6 and turn the head lights of but instead of parking they continue to cycle up and down for a minute or so. Suspecting a short I remove the positive battery cable. Yet the next night they do the same thing. Please what has happened here??
Twystd1
Ate too much acid???

C
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 31 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Ate too much acid???

C

yeah that is why I have dedicated my life to the 914 happened right after I left Woodstock.
sean_v8_914
dirty headlight motor fuse
cooltimes
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 05:32 PM) *

I finally arrive home one night after dropping off my babe. ( I like to hit and run) I pull into the garage in my 914-6 and turn the head lights of but instead of parking they continue to cycle up and down for a minute or so. Suspecting a short I remove the positive battery cable. Yet the next night they do the same thing. Please what has happened here??

Headlight switch circuit has to make a contact inside the relay to signal the headlight motor to retract. I would then say the switch is bad since it feeds the relay.
URY914
Check your ground wire that is on the headlight harness.
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 02:55 PM) *

What has happened is that one white wire on the resistor block has broken from its crimp knocking out a cylinder. Simply remove the block (mounted on the side of the battery stand, looks like four cigarettes in an aluminum holder) and open the crimp and recrimp. (soldering never holds well enough)
I'm back on the road again!

In my first reply, I mentioned to check the resistor pack.
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 03:32 PM) *

bad diode(s) or problem with motor circuit
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 31 2007, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 31 2007, 03:49 PM) *

Ate too much acid???

C

yeah that is why I have dedicated my life to the 914 happened right after I left Woodstock.

Oh yeah - Woodstock. Would loved to have been there, but Uncle Sugar thought I should be elsewhere! What the hell, i would have just gotten screwed up & ..... wait a minute, I did that anyway!

Just kidding! Two years later a 914 entered my life & has never left.

Still, wish I'd had the chance for Woodstock! The mud, the diarehea, the drugs, the babes, the cops, the music, the mud - wait, I'm repeating myself. Are you sure I wasn't there?

sean_v8_914
OK doc...whats the answer. my car was doing this but it healed itself
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It seems to be a problem only with the 70 and 71 models
michel richard

You should'nt remove the positive battery cable without first removing the ground battery cable. Now, we all know you are a careful mechanic, so what you did, of course, is completely disconnect the battery. This being said, I dunno what the problem is . . . : - ) poke.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(michel richard @ Feb 1 2007, 08:25 AM) *

You should'nt remove the positive battery cable without first removing the ground battery cable. Now, we all know you are a careful mechanic, so what you did, of course, is completely disconnect the battery. This being said, I dunno what the problem is . . . : - ) poke.gif

The scenerio here is that I am a knucklehead and need advice (and that may or may not be true!!!!!!) thank you for that tip!!!!!
nomore9one4
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 1 2007, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(michel richard @ Feb 1 2007, 08:25 AM) *

The scenerio here is that I am a knucklehead and need advice (and that may or may not be true!!!!!!) thank you for that tip!!!!!

I say,you are not a knucklehead and you get back in the 914-6, you go back to see the girlfriend and give her a good sheeplove.gif and worry about the headlights in the morning! confused24.gif
nomore9one4
So Doc, Tell me what i've won! cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.