Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter Knob 914 vs. 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swm914
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to 914 ownership. I just bought a 1974 2.0 in Phoenix Red. One of the first easy things I want to do is replace the original shifter knob with another original era knob that has a legible shift pattern on the face under the bubble. I suppose mine deteriorated with age. I've come across some for sale in various places that say the 914's and 911's from that era had the same knob. I'm hoping someone can confirm that for me. Anyone know where I can find one? I see one on Ebay now but the picture isn't any good plus I want to make sure I know what I'm getting is right for the car. Also, did 914's in 1974 have optional knobs with other types of faces, say for example, the Porsche symbol? Any advice greatly appeciated. Thanks Steve
ws91420
First off welcome.png

Second see if you can make contact w/ Mike (dr evil here) he lives in the area there going to med school. A great and very helpful 914 guy when he isnt busy with classes.

Third a bunch of us are trying to meet up at the swap meet in the end of April at Hershey

To answer your question I believe the rubber knob was the only thing available anything else was either put on by a dealer or the PO.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(swm914 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:49 AM) *

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to 914 ownership. I just bought a 1974 2.0 in Phoenix Red. One of the first easy things I want to do is replace the original shifter knob with another original era knob that has a legible shift pattern on the face under the bubble. I suppose mine deteriorated with age. I've come across some for sale in various places that say the 914's and 911's from that era had the same knob. I'm hoping someone can confirm that for me. Anyone know where I can find one? I see one on Ebay now but the picture isn't any good plus I want to make sure I know what I'm getting is right for the car. Also, did 914's in 1974 have optional knobs with other types of faces, say for example, the Porsche symbol? Any advice greatly appeciated. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve. All of the 911 65-71 and the 914 70-76 five speed shift knobs were the same and used a steel tensioning sleeve to secure. The five speed pattern was visable through the clear plastic bubble.
As the factory has discontinued these, and the last of them were very fragile bakelite material and would crack immediately upon installation.
We have had them remade in perfect factory design but in delrin so they will not break at all, and have had the five speed emblem made of billet aluminum with the carved five speed emblem. They look IDENTICAL to the original no longer available factory knob but the 3-d effect is not there because it is billet instead of plastic. From a foot away one cannot tell the difference and several Porsche Club concours events have judged the knobs beautifully acceptable
swm914
Thanks to both replies. I may juast wait till the Hershey meet since it is almost in my backyard to see what i can find.

I did have a follow up question for George. Was it only the later factory productuion that fell part? Are earlier original ones, assuming I can find one, more roust? Your option of the new one in the newer material sounds good if I can't find an original that I like. Thank again

Steve
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(swm914 @ Feb 3 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Thanks to both replies. I may juast wait till the Hershey meet since it is almost in my backyard to see what i can find.

I did have a follow up question for George. Was it only the later factory productuion that fell part? Are earlier original ones, assuming I can find one, more roust? Your option of the new one in the newer material sounds good if I can't find an original that I like. Thank again

Steve

the earlier manufacture are fine and actually longer than the last of the factory fragile production. Our new shift knob without the emblem insert cannot be distinguished from the old factory originals. We are at this time having the original factory plastic emblem remade in India
edwardb33
I bought an Excellent reproduction off Matthew Collier in the UK.

He sells them on ebay and are the best I have seen.

Deep Black knob and excellent shift pattern reproduction.

I think it came with money back if not happy.

ed

swm914
thanks ed

george, so I understand, you're making another knob, different from the billet one you described, that will have the insert and the plastic bubble? what is your lead-time on that?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(swm914 @ Feb 3 2007, 12:12 PM) *

thanks ed

george, so I understand, you're making another knob, different from the billet one you described, that will have the insert and the plastic bubble? what is your lead-time on that?

Yes. Later this year we will have the perfet reproduction knobs complete with the plastic bubble. (the windshield top seals are first though!) (right after the tail light lenses)
type47fan
for reference . . . .

Picture 1, type 901/914 5-speed knob

Picture 2, type 901/902 4-speed knob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.