Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can someone help me please?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey6981
Ok, I'm new to the world of "pancake" motors, and I have a 1.7 with a big bore kit and I want to go bigger. How do I do that? Do I go and get 2.0 or larger cylinders and pistons? Or do I need to get a new motor all together? Now the reason I want to do this is that my current motor has what I belive to be a broken piston ring or sever blow-by, because I have oil in my vacume lines for the F.I. Can someone help me please? confused24.gif

Thanks,
Mike
Joe Bob
I dunno where you heard about your "race cam"....but the D-Jet FI doesn't run well with a radical cam. It came from the factory with a mild cam to pass smog. The FI brain can't be modified and your pretty much stuck with going with either carbs or a modern FI.

As to going bigger on displacement...sure, how much $$ do ya gots?

You can do a google on Massive Type IV...Jake Raby's site and or do a search here.....LOT's of threads on the big fours and the price versus doing a six or a V8 or a Scoobie Roo conversion....the search function can be yer friend.
Andyrew
Jake raby is making 200hp in a 2.3 liter...

FYI you can throw that cam out the window. You have no clue what it is, and the camshaft is the brain of the engine, its the heart, it tells the engine everything. You have to KNOW what is in it, and MATCH the cam perfectly to your built engine.

What is your budget? We'll let you know if its realistic.

oh ya, search is your friend..

Andrew
So.Cal.914
You can use a 2.0 crank, rods and P&C's (you'll need to flycut your heads) and

build a 1971 or use 96 mm and build a 2056, Jake has kits that come with

most everything you'll need. And like the guys said chuck the cam and order

one when you decide what displacement and fuel delivery system and exhaust

you are going to use.
rick 918-S
You can't just cam a type IV. This is not like a chevy. The cooling and life of these engines relies on every part is working together. There is no water jacket to compensate for too high of compression, over rich fuel loads and cam and ignition timing malodies.

But if you do your home work 100 hp can be a thrill. There is way more to a 914 than HP.

Did I just say that? blink.gif
type47
i've never recommended this to anyone: subaru. i read your post and get the feeling that a type IV is bad for your future enjoyment of the 914. the type IV won't get you the performance you desire for the comparable price of a subaru conversion.

i'm a person who has a hang up that there can only be a porsche engine in a porsche, but that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. but that's what i do with my cars because.... well, they're my cars. if i want (when i want...) more HP, it's gonna be a -6.
Mikey6981
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 4 2007, 01:58 PM) *

i've never recommended this to anyone: subaru. i read your post and get the feeling that a type IV is bad for your future enjoyment of the 914. the type IV won't get you the performance you desire for the comparable price of a subaru conversion.

i'm a person who has a hang up that there can only be a porsche engine in a porsche, but that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. but that's what i do with my cars because.... well, they're my cars. if i want (when i want...) more HP, it's gonna be a -6.

Im the same way with the whole "porsche engine in a porsche" But I will squeeze every ounce of power out of my engine. so thank you for opinion but I cant use it.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.