Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is my engine toast?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
runfaster
i bought a 2.0 and i took my 1.7 out to see what kind of running shape the 2 liter was in....it had some issues, so i went to put the 1.7 back in and when i cranked it up i was getting this crazy bearing squeal that sounded like it was comming from the alternater or around that area followed by a huge knocking and clunking sound from head on the driver side.

i dropped the engine and swapped out with a spare alternator and when put it back in and cranked it i still had the same noises. i dropped it again and checked the starter and new clutch kit. they look fine.

i did notice that when i spin the flywheel, #3 and #4 rockers seem to be moving in and out properly, but #1 and #2 i only get #2 exhaust moving and nothing else....

does this make any sense? if not i can try to explain differently....
So.Cal.914
If I am reading you right...it dosen't sound good. Pull rocker assembly

and head off and inspect. Pics.
runfaster
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 3 2007, 09:59 PM) *

that was what i was thinking.....what should i see if there are problems?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(runfaster @ Feb 3 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Bent metal, broken parts...you'll know. I hope I am wrong.
jim_hoyland
Your description of the sound/noise reminds me of when the cam in my 1.8 cam undone.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:56 AM) *

QUOTE(runfaster @ Feb 3 2007, 10:02 PM) *

Bent metal, broken parts...you'll know. I hope I am wrong.

runfaster
well, i guess i am about to further my knowledge of the type 4. what was i thinking when i bought this pos.......never ending......

oh by the way for all you that helped me out with my rear main seal issues- i thank you......

i used gear oil around the seal before installing the flywheel....it seemed to stop leaking before my engine internals crapped out on me......

thanks......
911quest
did you bend a push rod tube? it's possible the push rod poped out of the lifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.