Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting idea... larger speaker plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif wink.gif
redshift
Hey, it's easy to paint on plastic. You just scuff it up, and prime it. (Krylon)

It bites nice, and then you shoot the cheap paint Brad objects to using.

smile.gif

You could cover them with whatever.

M
Qarl
Aaaron.. there are pics.
skline
They are smooth painted, they are not plastic either. They are painted flat black with some type of paint. Smelled funny when I pulled them out of the box like they were put in wet with the paint. It is more like a primer than any paint I know of. Try the krinkle paint and see how it comes out. Couldnt hurt. I am not doing anything with them till I get my speaker holes cut in it and then I will experiment with paint or even carpet covering. These are made out of fiberglass, not plastic.
seanery
I was thinking about covering in leather also. Getting the teener's interior redone this winter or spring. All of it in nice tan leather.
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 3 2003, 09:58 PM)
All of it in nice tan leather.

Tan?

Pre-op?

laugh.gif

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(kellzey @ Dec 3 2003, 06:54 PM)
Aaaron.. there are pics.

i meant of the "krinkled" finish. but thanks Qarl.
Qarl
Yes, unfortunately I do not have any more cans of the VHT Wrinkle Plus in black.

You can get it at Caswell plating and a half dozen other stores on the net. Just type in VHT Wrinkle Paint on Google.

It's a high temp wrinkle paint. It really bonds well to metal.

You alter the amount of wrinkle by applying heat or placing in the sun when wet. The more heat or sunlight exposure, the more intensely the paint retracts creating a more or less intenst wrinkle effect. A hair dryer or heat gun can be used to alter effect.
nein14
aktion035.gif I just installed a set of the plates with the 61/2" speakers that came with them they sound GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Real nice product.
East coaster
Just got mine and trial fit them. They look pretty good installed. I don't think there will be any problems with hitting them with your leg. They're a little rough in the fibreglass dept, but with a little fininsh work they'll look great. A good idea that's been over due. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to install 6.5's. I would stuff the backside with polyfill when you install them, it helps since they aren't really sealed.
seanery
My doors have been cut for 6.5's. I'm wondering about using the stock location with these mounts for some 6" subs, 1 one each side (I know, I know, you only need one, but I like symetry). Any comments?
McMark
I really wouldn't expect wonderful sound from subs mounted in these housings. With the amount of action from a subwoofer (long throw) you're going to get those housing flexing all over the place. I'm not even sure you can fit a 6" sub into the space behind the pod. I bet they're too long. It would make some noise, but it definitely wouldn't be anywhere near where it could be. I would put the subs in the doors before I put them in the pods.
seanery
i don't like the doors, cause it'll make all that 30 year old shit inside rattle. And that'll really drive me nuts!
nein14
I have the 6.5 plates with the blaupunkt speakers and a set of bass shakers under the seats ,also a set of cerwin vega 4 x 6 plates in the back end of the door panels and the system cooks!!!
morph
For a small extra fee i can increase the thickness or add a bidirectional to the pods to make the very ridgid .

Also the first molds we intended for only 30 parts they where pretty rough.
I ended up making allmost 75 parts off those molds .I have smoothed the new molds out so that a light sanding is all they need, so that the quality of the parts after 12/9 will be improved clap56.gif
redshift
If you don't need the glovebox, that can be replaced with a really big sub aiming into the floor.

You could remove the steering wheel, and cut one in on the driver's side.

M
seanery
What if I replaced the steering wheel with a 14" sub with a leather wrapped rim!?
redshift
Time alignment would be out the window, but hey..

M
morph
is that you john? nien14 cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
what depth speakers do these allow? if my speakers are too deep, I could always bend/reshape the aluminum heater tube behind them right?

will 2" fit?
Aaron Cox
want a super deal? i ordered these SWEET jbl threeways for basically half off the normal low price.

go to crutchfield and type

JBL gto 365

69.99 for a 3 way! on sale from 119 (2nd most expensive 6.5 inch in catalog)
Gint
Did you mean JBL gto 635?

JBL GTO635 link
iamchappy
Ok guys this is how I handled it. They fill the cabin with plenty of sound, there not going to beat out the guy with a trunk full of subs vibrating house windows all the way down the street, but they sound plenty good to me. Besides with that 3.0 winding up behind me forget about audio file sound. The nice part about the subs is there not in the way and by putting them into the backpad behind the seats you can easly fit 12"ers. Stainless steel mixing bowels are the enclosures and the subs do thump.thump thump thump, thump, thump thump, thump thump thump.........

pics follow
iamchappy
speakers
iamchappy
engine firewall enclosers
Gint
Looks good. The mixing bowls must be pushing the backpad out some eh?

Nevermind. I replied right after I saw only the first pic.
rhodyguy
i just noticed the new ad in the classifieds. sub unit now and speaker options. the cd deck is very competively priced, compared to cartoys. some body in oregon needs to go listen to a complete setup.

kevin
Aaron Cox
i just got my speaker enclosures! they look great...since they are f/g...i think the textured paint stuff will stick to them...i may give them a try.

and yes the GTO 635's, they rock!
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Dec 9 2003, 12:20 AM)
engine firewall enclosers

I love it! Great flipping idea. Don't mind if I copycat do you ?
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 7 2003, 10:15 AM)
i don't like the doors, cause it'll make all that 30 year old shit inside rattle. And that'll really drive me nuts!

Mine don't rattle. The speakers that were in there buzz'd at high volume so some 4" Blaupunkt's took their place.
I just need more power to make all the speakers sound goood w/o distorsion......

.............b
Rockaria
Hello All,

I just got a set of those cool aftermarket speakers that replace the originals. I must say, WOW! The improvement is really good while I don't think it takes up any more space really. They go in really well and are out of the way. I don't notice any difference when I get in and out of the car. ANd the sound is so much better.

Take a look:

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

COOL!
Aaron Cox
i have a texture solution. i went and found some rust oleum "stone accents" stuff. it makes it look like black stone and has an OEM finish to it. i am then going to put a coat of gloss black on it wink.gif

its gonna look primo.
DuckRyder
I've painted several sub boxes with that stuff.

It works good, but has very little resitance to abrasion.
Rockaria
A few people wanted to know the backspacing to fit speakers. I measured on these and it is 2" stock. 2.5-3" if you crush the heater tube a bit, and about 4 or so without a heater tube. As well the heater tub is towards the side so its possible to get more with a flattened tube a bit.

I hope this helps
morph
I finished the installation on my sound system today. Everyone is welcome to come and listen. IT ROCKS.
morph
two 240 watt legacy premiums in the front trunk
914ghost
I bought a set of carpet from him and the center sub-woofer box several months ago before he came out with those speaker panels.
I have a set of 4x6"s in the fatcory panels and with his subwoofer and a nice stereo I almost dont need the bigger side speakers, but I'll buy a set because he's pretty old school about cars.
I talked with him for about an hour and he told me about all his VW's...a good guy to support with a small business. He told me about several other projects he's working on.
Anyways, good deal if you ask me!
Robert O
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.