Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting idea... larger speaker plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rhodyguy
interesting item. perfect for replacement for broken stock ones. i would like to handle one to see how it feels.

kevin
seanery
I'd like to see how it looks mounted to make sure it doesn't get in the way of your feet.
Kargeek
That's one of those..."why didn't I think of that? Lookes like vacuum formed plastic and the quality looks good. DH
Qarl
Anyone know who this is? Is this a 914clubber? I've seen his stuff for a while on evil-bay.
redshift
They look nice, still not the best size.

M
boxstr
I have purchased cars and parts from the seller. He is out in Amity Oregon, I have been there a few times. I will call and get a pair from him and see if any discount to the club. Not sure if he is on the site, nice guy, has a few other interesting items.
CCLINAMITYVILLEHORROR
scottb
i saw those too... it was one of those "damn, i shoulda...." moments. headbang.gif

find out about a club discount and i am in for a pair...... beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
he's the guy who sells carpet kits smile.gif
914rick
I just bought a set these morning on Ebay. I will let you know what I think of them when I receive them next week. I thought that they were a good idea.
Rick
East coaster
I just bought a set too! I was going to make my own but for 60 bucks it's not worth sniffing styrene and vinyl and polyester resin! When I receive them I'll report back, hopefully they're not JUNK aktion035.gif
Engman
I have been working on a replacement set made out of metal. Told Sean about this at the fall foilage run. Getting ready to order some speakers for this design - Expected cost should be around $100 per set.

Speaker options anyone? Looking at 5x7 and 6x9 but I do not want to protrude into the cockpiy any more than necessary. I used to work at CBS records and my better half was a supervisor in audio QC. She is my check for these as the currrent set I have in there sounds like crap.

M
marc_hines
I have a carpet kit from these same folks. They have many 914's and really love them. I, too, saw these and said 'What a good idea!'. I will be swapping out the junky tape/radio that came with my 914 to a good blupunk with CD and MP3 player - and these have a much cleaner look to them than the factory speaker grills.

I am looking forward to hearing the reviews from the members that have already ordered them.
Engman
What = no interested parties? I need feedback on speaker sixes if even remotely intersted. And or speaker preferenced.

M
Brad Roberts
Is this the guy who showed up to Jamie Rusts' event in the yellow 914 ?? Not CraigL.

B
skline
I bought a set yesterday also. I am a little closer to them so I will probably get mine on Tuesday or Wednesday. I will let you all know what they are like. It never hurts to have multiple opinions.
rick 918-S
Man, I hunted and hunted for speakers that fit into the stock grilles. I ended up with a nice pair of Boston acustics. I didn't want to take the time to make up a new enclosure or cut the doors. I like those. aktion035.gif Why isn't this guy on the board? He is obviously hooked on the teener.
seanery
Mark, I think a round speaker is the best at reproducing bass, so a 6 or 6.5 would probably be best.
My car has 6's I think and sounds quite tasty. I just don't like the doors cut up.
scottb
bump....

anyone gotten their set of these yet?

comments?
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Engman @ Nov 22 2003, 10:59 PM)
Speaker options anyone? Looking at 5x7 and 6x9 but I do not want to protrude into the cockpiy any more than necessary. I used to work at CBS records and my better half was a supervisor in audio QC. She is my check for these as the currrent set I have in there sounds like crap.

M

generally a round speaker will sound better than an oval one, the bigger the better bass it will do.

There are many fine speakers out there Infinity and BA come immediately to mind, Rockford, Pioneer and Sony also make nice stuff.
maf914
Anybody know what speaker depth these enclosures allow? That's one of those typical "oh sh!t" dimensions! blink.gif Next thing you know, out comes the BFH! smash.gif

Mike
mike_the_man
I think round speakers make a better sound also. I really like MB Quarts (and they're German), or Focals. Both sound really good, in my opinion. But they aren't cheap. Go to a few stereo shops and have a listen to as many speakers as you can, then pick the ones that sound best to you. I was planning on buying an expensive set of speakers for the teener, but I have re-thought that. Considering that I will have the top of most of the time, and how loud the car is, even a good set of speakers aren't going to sound that good, so I'm going to just get something loud. Just my $.02.
seanery
mike,
rethink your rethinking. cool.gif
I've got a set of 6.5 MB Quarts with an alpine head unit and amp.
Even with the top off and the SSIs, Webers & Triad at full song, there is plenty of power available.
With the top on, it sounds really nice!
boxstr
Is this the guy who showed up to Jamie Rusts' event in the yellow 914 ?? Not CraigL.

Yes this is the guy ( Nathan) who showed up in the yellow with blue stripes 914 at Jamies.
CCLINAMITYVILLEHORROR
Brad Roberts
Thanks Craig. I thought it was.

B
ninefourteener
ADVICE to all stereo buffs. Since you can't squeeze a real subwoofer in a teener, do a search in e-bay for:

"COMPONENT SPEAKERS"

Comes with a 5 or 6 inch speaker (or close, whatever) and usually a 1 inch tweeter. Also comes with crossovers to separate the frequencies between the speakers, and the sounds is INCREDIBLE... trust me. In stores they'll run you $300 or more....e-bay has a prety good selection for under $100.

This is the PERFECT item for those. I've already written the owner to see if he has more. I MUST hear for the first person who has them installed...NEED FEEDBACK ON THIS ITEM!!
scottb
ninefourteener,

i too am looking at a component system fo the teener. those kind folk in amity happy11.gif have a center console with a subwoofer so you could potentially have a really sweet system. now here's the question: where would one place the tweeter without carving up the interior?

i too am waiting for some "eye witness news live on location" feedback on the speaker enclosures......
jwade
Replace the useless coathooks with the tweeters.
You can route the wires underneath and have a clean looking
install.
I'd send a picture if my camera was working.

john
StratPlayer
heres my install on the tweeters
ppickerell
The amity guy is also selling a "system" with 2 speakers and a woofer in his aftermarket console.
morph
I posted these on this website for all members for $60 plus $11.00 shipping, I have a higher price listed on ebay. We also upgraded the speakers to 150 watt blaupunkt 6.5" speakers for an extra $45, installed in the ports. I only have a limited ammout available every week so please contact me before you pay for them. hjhl@worldnet.att.net (503)551-6191. We will eventually have some of our other products posted on here with deals for members.
seanery
Do you have a good pic with the speakers installed in the car?
skline
I got mine yesterday from Amity, They look and feel like pretty good quality items. Way better than the factory plastic ones that break if you touch them. I have not had a chance to install them just yet. They look like they will do a very nice job holding some 6.5 inch speakers in the factory location and look like they are supposed to be there. Great job and design. I like them a lot.
AZ914
Skline,

Any luck installing those puppies? I've curious to see what they look like when installed...

beer.gif
skline
I have not got the speakers yet for them but I test fitted them in the Chalon. They fit great and line up just like the factory units. I used to install car stereo's and alarms back in the 80's and these are as nice as any custom unit I have ever seen. I think I will be needing another set for my yellow car. I made a panel to hold 6X9's in the yellow car but these look like they will fit way better and probably produce better sound. My new speakers should be here next week sometime. I will install them and see how they sound.
fiid
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
skline
Ok, here is what they look like test fitted into the Chalon. Not much to look at without the speakers and screwed in.
Brad Roberts
Hum.. so they dont even remotely look like the stock ones. I thought maybe he would dupe the actual texture and feel of the OE part.

B
Qarl
I bet you could get some textured crinkle paint from VHT.
seanery
my thought exactly Qarl.
AZ914
Thanks for the pic. I agree on the 'crinckle paint'.

Any chance of putting a foot into them? Getting close to the fuse panel and I know my foot lands there occasionally. headbang.gif
Aaron Cox
ill get my set next week. ordered some fatty 6.5 inch jbl 3 way's from crutchfield. am so looking forward to sound! laugh.gif crinkle paint? will that stick to plastic? i usually thought that spraypainted plastic looks like crap....someone prove me wrong please.
Brad
It always looks like crap (hows that ?)

I was surprised Karl even brought it up.

Leave Crinkle paint to the trunks of old muscle cars.

B
Aaron Cox
ooh! the super secret admin brad! laugh.gif
Qarl
The crinkle paint I recently used looks exactly like the crinkly finish on the side of the stock 914 speaker housings.

That's why I brought it up.

Is it THAT surprising?

But again, I doubt it will work on plastic.
Aaron Cox
So, gentlemen....

we have a need to krinkle the finish, but krinkle spray paint is out.

Answers?
Brad Roberts
Karl,

I just never figured you would use the stuff. (its cheap and appears cheap to me).

B
Qarl
I did a few engine components. It is VHT paint. I chose to do a really fine wrinkle finish. When looking at the speaker grills, it was a dead ringer for the wrinkly finish on the side of the OEM speaker grills.

I was inspired by the engine build of Jack McAllister

http://brentwoodrocketscience.com/r2/r2.htm

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Yep. It looks good on his engine.. but he says he baked it.. I wonder if it lasted ??

I also wonder where he bought the carbon shroud. We bought one and it took over 6 hours to prep/drill/trim the damn thing.

B
Bruce Allert
I've used Hammerite on plastic and put it on with a roller. It looked real crinkled... turned out ok

........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.