Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to remove stripped rocker studs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
i have 3 stripped rocker studs and they need to come out so the heads can go back on!

just the top part is stripped the part in the head itself is fine.

how about MAPP gas and a big pair of pilers?
MAPP wont mess up the head will it?

thanks
-jim

ps
ill also need to know how to get the new studs in...
Aaron Cox
vise grips.....
shaggy
tried it; just spin...
jd74914
Weld a nut to the top of them, then take off like normal with a wrench.
shaggy
i dont weld or have a welder...
StratPlayer
I used vise grips they didn't spin at all, they broke the stud. Get them on as tight as you can they won't spin.
jd74914
QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 5 2007, 06:48 PM) *

i dont weld or have a welder...

Ok, then follow the way of the stratplayer laugh.gif
shaggy
not workin for me and i just broke a pair or vice grips trying to do it.
the lever that sits against the adjustment screw just bent and now my grips are skewed by about 1/4 inch...

any other ideas?
-jim
Chris Pincetich
I don't have a welder either, but I have JB weld. I wonder if this would be strong enough after an overnight sit? Last time my vice grips sliped, I used a grinder to make flat spots (different hardware though) that gripped better. Good luck! beerchug.gif
brer
try going in 1/4 turn first, then out.
and soak them with aerokroil overnight
jasons
QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 5 2007, 04:54 PM) *

not workin for me and i just broke a pair or vice grips trying to do it.
the lever that sits against the adjustment screw just bent and now my grips are skewed by about 1/4 inch...

any other ideas?
-jim

Jim I have a welder, if you really need a nut welded on I could do it for you.
jasons
One of these sockets is the "right" way to remove and install studs... The more pressure you put on the lever, the more this thing bites down.

This one is just an example, I don't know if its good or not. My friend has a couple that are made by Hazet.

Ebay Stud Socket
Matt Romanowski
Heat the head up and then use a pair of channel locks. That should do it. The angle of the head makes them work better than vice grips. If you have pliers that are shaped like channel locks that don't slide, those work really well.

Or you could just buy a stud remover....
Krieger
Also, take a punch/hammer and tap on it a few times. Soak it with penetrent. This may sound counterintuitive but try to tighten it a little then loosen, tap tap tighten loosen. Carefully heat the head with a torch or put it in the oven @ 250 for 15 minutes. The aluminum expands more than the steel.
SGB
Sounds really really tight. HEAT is the thing I think. Days and days of pb or some penetrant, heat, more wd blaster/wrench, etc. If you are distorting things as much as you say, that can't be good. Is it too late to try to cut new threads on the stud? Smaller than original might be OK. Is there no place for the nut to get any grip? I guess that vice gripping prolly did quite a number on 'em, but it may have moved some metal into previously smoothed areas....
Overall, I'm sorry but I'll bet it can't be done without some pretty major machinery. I'm sure Len Hoffman (Jakes head guru- or is that "head" head guru), could tell ya.
jd74914
Jason has a good idea. If you get the forged craftsman sockets that bite into stripped studs and bolts you will be set. Those and heat take out even the most stubborn things.
spare time toys
This is how I got the exhaust studs out of the 928 head. They were stuck to where a vice grips would slip. One of the old engine guys at work told me about paraphin wax. Heat the head good and hot and rub the wax around the base of the stud. The wax will wick down the threads and it will come out with no trouble. I went to Albertsons got the canning paraphin and melted and formed a stick out of it when it hardened. I took just a plain old beutaine torch heated the head and rubbed the base of the stud. I could watch it draw the wax in. I grabbed it with the vicegrips and it turned out with out a hitch. I did 15 of my 16 studs that way. #16 was broken off BELOW flush. That one is another story for another thread.
-Larry
URY914
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Feb 5 2007, 06:41 PM) *

This is how I got the exhaust studs out of the 928 head. They were stuck to where a vice grips would slip. One of the old engine guys at work told me about paraphin wax. Heat the head good and hot and rub the wax around the base of the stud. The wax will wick down the threads and it will come out with no trouble. I went to Albertsons got the canning paraphin and melted and formed a stick out of it when it hardened. I took just a plain old beutaine torch heated the head and rubbed the base of the stud. I could watch it draw the wax in. I grabbed it with the vicegrips and it turned out with out a hitch. I did 15 of my 16 studs that way. #16 was broken off BELOW flush. That one is another story for another thread.
-Larry

Now that is slick....learn somein' new everyday around here.
PinetreePorsche
Did this on my old split-window van decades ago: use a little cut-off wheel on a Dremmel-type grinder to make a clean screwdriver slot across the stud. Warm the head in the oven,, using penetrating oil before and again when hot (outdoors for this), then go at the screw slot with an impact driver,. with blade not too long for the slot--ground shorter if too long. Build up the blows from not too hard to harder, and, like someone said, reverse the direction of the driver every 3 or 4 blows. It's gotta go. If not, drill in all the way and use easy-outs--not easy, but what else can you do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.