Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
I have a fair amount of money barf.gif in my 73 2.0 on mechanicals . I want to paint it drooley.gif and have stripped off sawzall-smiley.gif all but trunks and interior. Body is great wub.gif with a couple of small dents. No rust issues WTF.gif . I need side marker holes, windshield washer jet holes, antenna hole and padge pin holes welder.gif welded up and would like to get a paint job worthy of the $15K barf.gif I sunk into mechanicals.

I spoke with a well known north bay shop idea.gif popcorn[1].gif familiar with 914's and we discussed $7K-$8K ballparks blink.gif . I respect the right to charge what the market will bear cool_shades.gif but what I am looking for is a $4K-$5K paint job aktion035.gif or less boldblue.gif if possible. I will put all the seals/trim back on myself smash.gif . The trunks and jambs are fine thumb3d.gif .

unsure.gif Am I nuts mad.gif ?

Who in the SF bay area can do the job RIGHT smilie_pokal.gif ? This is not a concourse pray.gif job. Will they
be able to match my existing paint? What paint should I specify? #of coats? Clear coat?

I would appreciate suggestions and referrals.

Thanks,
patrick
Joe Bob
The Los Panchos guy would certainly be the cheapest....but driving ALL the way to Freaking Mexico sucks....then having to go back.

I have a guy local...actually two that can probably do it for that lower price you mentioned....Santa Barbara is closer than TJ.....
neo914-6
From 'neo914" experience I'd recommend McMark (Original Customs) for the welding.

SF Bay Area paint labor costs are typically 5-8k.

Yeaman was reasonable for paint if ready to shoot. Don't ask me about body work that was "supposed" to have been done on my car before it went the Yeamans. That was cost me twice... headbang.gif

Some members had good luck with this SJ shop: Councours Autobody
biosurfer1
wow, thats a lot of smilies for one post:)

are you in a rush? have you ever thought about taking a paint/refinish class through a local community college? I'm taking one right now and it has been great. only one night a week, the teacher is a body/paint guy with 20+ years of experience who doesnt "talk" much, only about the basics. he feels the best way to learn is get you a respirator, throw a gun in your hand and get going!

i have been having a blast. In two classes, we are already shooting primer, learning to spot defects, blocking, and prep.

i doubt it will lead to any career, but its great info on what it takes to do a paint job correctly, or help you do your own if you want to go that route.
rick 918-S
Sorry, Too far away to help. confused24.gif
STL914
Too bad you're not in the Mid-West, you could have Shelby give your car a show quality paint job worthy of your $15k. Oh, she welds too welder.gif

nomore9one4
QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 09:58 AM) *

Too bad you're not in the Mid-West, you could have Shelby give your car a show quality paint job worthy of your $15k. Oh, she welds too welder.gif

and she looks good too wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.