Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 guys - anyone running carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I'm looking at possibly getting a 3.0 but it has no F.I. So I would just run it with webbers.

Does anyone out there have this set up now? Are You running the CIS cam or was it changed out to a early T,E or S?

Bruce Andersons book says it's an easy 200HP with Webbers (set correctly) and headers, and the stock CIS cam.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Mike D.
Joe Bob
The CIS cam is fine....the 964 cam is better. If I recall, most anything else requires head work.
Brando
906 cams!

Not very streetable but fun.

Actually I'm with mike on the 964 cams.
JWest
The problem is that valves will hit the pistons with the more aggressive cam grinds.

So change pistons and cams if you want something like S or Solex profiles, or go with 964s for the easy (but milder) setup.
LvSteveH
Keep in mind that the 964 cams will work better with the higher compression of the later 3.0L (80-83). They really aren't the ideal choice with the 78-79 lower compression motors. If you are planning to eventually upgrade the pistons anyway, it probably makes sense to do the cam at the same time. You'd want something more aggressive than the 964's when you upgrade the pistions.
Allan
QUOTE(James Adams @ Feb 7 2007, 01:15 PM) *

The problem is that valves will hit the pistons with the more aggressive cam grinds.

So change pistons and cams if you want something like S or Solex profiles

Like these... biggrin.gif
TimT
I have webcam 20/21's in my 3.2 six.. stock CR and no issues with clearance. I suspect the 3.0 is a similar animal.
kconway
Uhhh, Mike, whatya going to do with your 6?
Kevin

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Feb 7 2007, 12:06 PM) *

I'm looking at possibly getting a 3.0 but it has no F.I. So I would just run it with webbers.

Does anyone out there have this set up now? Are You running the CIS cam or was it changed out to a early T,E or S?

Bruce Andersons book says it's an easy 200HP with Webbers (set correctly) and headers, and the stock CIS cam.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
Mike D.

bwilless
The 'E' Cams are the hot setup for a 3.0 with Webers. Ton's of Tourqe down low. I get 200 HP with as much torque to the rear wheels. The valve clearance is close, I think it still has the CIS pistons.

Here's the dyno at the wheels:

Click to view attachment
dekman
I agree...my engine builder used "E" cams and cosworth pistons. Topped my 3.0L off with some 46 webers. Love it.................. biggrin.gif
Mike D.
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 7 2007, 05:47 PM) *

Uhhh, Mike, whatya going to do with your 6?
Kevin

Check the Classifieds soon smile.gif - One of my issues with doing this is that my 2.0 six runs so good and I pretty much know everything about it.

Thanks for the input. The engine I'm looking at is a '78 so the 964 cams are out.

Allen, I couldn't remember what size six you had, but I thought you said you were running the CIS cams?
dgw
My six had a stock 82 3.0 with the Webber's off the original six, with lots of changes to the jets and K&N air filters.

my 83 SC has the 964 cams in it. Both engines are terrific.
Allan
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Feb 7 2007, 08:44 PM) *

Allen, I couldn't remember what size six you had, but I thought you said you were running the CIS cams?

That was before I had the motor torn down the second time to fix some oil leaks. Mechanic said he had a couple solex cams that he wanted to get rid of and I said that since the motors apart go ahead and throw them in...

Wurks gud. burnout.gif
914Timo
I have ยด79 3.0 with Solex cams and Webers. Pistons needed valve pockets. Runs fine and strong, but fuel consumpion is baaaaaaaaaad. As soon as I have time I will chance to programmable FI.
Racing916
I run a 2.7L w/Carbs and I also use "E" cams that replaced the "S" Cams. E Cams will give you more Tourque. The motor has around 240 HP and about 240 ft. lbs. of Tourque. Compression is 10.9 to 1. I did have to replace the pistons, and now they are correctly domed. I would say the "E" cams are the way to go. The motor with S cams before was not as much fun to drive.
Eric_Shea
The 'E' Cams are the hot setup for a 3.0 with Webers. Ton's of Tourqe down low. I get 200 HP with as much torque to the rear wheels. The valve clearance is close, I think it still has the CIS pistons.

Nope.

I agree E-cams and Webers but you'll need new pistons. That is a VERY nice street engine.

This is where the problem begins with these motors (I have one). If you have Bruces' book, I would recommend what he recommends to start with. I think he basically states "put the Webers on there and backdate the exhaust." (which is what you would have to do with a 914 anyway). He also mentioned advancing the cams 6deg.

Think about it... it's a 180hp motor as is. With the Webers and the headers you should easily be at 200 and reading 180 at the rear wheels. Tons of torque and very streetable.

As the motor tires and/or you ambitions increase, start stock piling parts like cams and pistons. Making a 3.0 a ripping high performance engine is doable but, as you can see it doesn't come that cheap. Excellent block to start with IMHO.
Mike D.
Thanks all...

Eric, that is the exactly what I was going for. I can get it in the car for summer and start stock piling parts for a future rebuild. I probably only put around 3k miles per year on the 914 anyway so it should get me through a couple of years.

BTW, I committed to buy the engine this morning, so...

2.0 E spec six for sale biggrin.gif very low miles, very fun, come drive before you buy...

sorry, I'll take to the classifieds...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.