Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 engine code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
Okay I've looked all around my 2.7L CIS motor and I can't find the engine code that identifies if it is an "s" motor or not... Does anyone know an easy way to Identify if it is an s motor, The sticker on top says 1974 911T/911S.

ArtechnikA
the engine Type code (911/xx) is found on the horizontal surface of the case to the immediate right of the fan housing. behind the chain housing - the chain housing is not the case... they are never stamped very deep and are usually obscured by years of crud that must be scraped/wiped away first.

The Type Code is the fastest way of telling you what the engine was when the factory built it. What it is now depends as much as anything on the budget and reputation of the builder..
Justinp71
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 8 2007, 03:32 AM) *

the engine Type code (911/xx) is found on the horizontal surface of the case to the immediate right of the fan housing. behind the chain housing - the chain housing is not the case... they are never stamped very deep and are usually obscured by years of crud that must be scraped/wiped away first.

The Type Code is the fastest way of telling you what the engine was when the factory built it. What it is now depends as much as anything on the budget and reputation of the builder..

Is this on the top side of the motor? Is it visible with a fully assembled motor in the car (or even worse the tight engine compartment of a 914)? I guess I'll find out when I get home for the day.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Is this on the top side of the motor?
yes

Is it visible with a fully assembled motor in the car (or even worse the tight engine compartment of a 914)?
I believe so; probably no more difficult than a 911...

Follow the red pen... it points directly to my 911/43 Type Code.
Justinp71
Man I looked at that area last night... I'll look again closer. I also heard that if you have a green shroud that means that you have an 's' motor... according to rennshift... not sure if that is true.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2007, 06:23 PM) *

I also heard that if you have a green shroud that means that you have an 's' motor... according to rennshift... not sure if that is true.

shroud colors changed a bit through the years, but I don't think green was ever 'S'. (But I have pretty low confidence in that statement, so if it's wrong, you're welcome to post all the right stuff of all the colors from 1965 on - but don't rub it in my face :-) )

Not for nothing is red Krylon called "S-motor in a can" ...
Joe Bob
It's real FAINT......
Trust me it's there....
sixnotfour
Is there a number on the vertical surface to the left of the oil pressure sender, in the picture ?
It is possible it is an unumbered replacement case.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 8 2007, 07:05 PM) *

It is possible it is an unumbered replacement case.

that's the cheapest way yet to make an 'S' engine!
un-numbered replacement case and some Krylon for the fan shroud and the engine can be whatever you want !
Trekkor
yawn.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

KT
Justinp71
Found it... its a 911/44, which according to wayne's book that is a 911s/c Which i am assuming a 911s motor for california. Which still has the 8.5:1 pistons but I guess it was smogged down to 160hp.

Joe Bob
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2007, 06:17 PM) *

Found it... its a 911/44, which according to wayne's book that is a 911s/c Which i am assuming a 911s motor for california. Which still has the 8.5:1 pistons but I guess it was smogged down to 160hp.

911 but not an SC....SC started in 78 and used the 930 engine block....
ArtechnikA
not "911SC"

911S - California.

My 911/43 is a '75 S - 49-State.

5 HP difference - woo hoo.
Justinp71
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 8 2007, 06:25 PM) *

not "911SC"

911S - California.

My 911/43 is a '75 S - 49-State.

5 HP difference - woo hoo.

Correct, but with my wierd straight pipe exhaust who knows....

Does that oil pressure switch which next to the engine code run the factory "Druck pressure" gauge, I tried to hook it up my the gauge defaulted to max press.
SLITS
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2007, 07:45 PM) *

Does that oil pressure switch which next to the engine code run the factory "Druck pressure" gauge, I tried to hook it up my the gauge defaulted to max press.

Druck = pressure

If your guage pegged, the wire between the guage and sender is grounded or the sender is bad.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 8 2007, 10:45 PM) *

yes, that's the pressure sensor for the gauge.
we need to know more about what you mean by "the" factory gauge, tho, since 914.6 didn't have one, and 911's had at least two kinds. early cars get a 10 Bar gauge, later cars get a 5 Bar gauge, and the senders are different and don't play together.
But as Slits has pointed out, fullscale typically means the gauge is not wired properly (they need +12V, good ground, and the gauge signal, all on the correct terminals) or that something is not connected correctly - fullscale is where Bosch/VDO gauges go when the G(uage) line is open.

it's also what I'd expect if the gauge is actually connected to the pressure switch for the oil pressure light...

Since 914's (4 or 6) had no gauge originally, if your car has one, someone has been creative with the wiring, so that's the first thing to check. You also need to research to make sure you have the right sender to go with the right gauge.
Justinp71
Click to view attachmentMy gauge looks like the one in the pic. It says '81 on the back and I believe that my sending unit is an original '75 911 sending unit, Which is a different one than the gauge. But I also tried to hook up an aftermarket vdo gauge and I got the same result...
Justinp71
Also.. let me clarify... the gauge has not been installed yet, I would like to install it.

I also have to figure out what to do for a fuel gauge. Will an aftermarket VDO fuel gauge work (0-90 ohms)?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 9 2007, 01:47 PM) *

Also.. let me clarify... the gauge has not been installed yet, I would like to install it.

yes - that's the 5-Bar gauge.

the sender is a variable resistance that pulls gauge +12 down to an indicated value. if the wire to the sender is open, the gauge reads full scale. (and if the wire is shorted to ground, the instrument will be pegged at minimum.

I also have to figure out what to do for a fuel gauge. Will an aftermarket VDO fuel gauge work (0-90 ohms)?

I believe you'll find (i don't recall exactly...) the Porsche sender is ~0-200 Ohms.
There should be no lack of Porsche fuel gauges tho, and they're all about the same. you can replace just the fuel gauge part...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.