Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping engines for Dummies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
1. I should know the answer to this...but I don't.

Pulling my 1.8 FI motor which only has 300 miles on a new 6 spring clutch and resurfaced flywheel.

I have a 2ltr going in. Can I use the 1.8 flywheel (on the my 2ltr transplant as is (I know the clutches are the same)?

Wasn't too sure if the flywheels are balanced to the motor.

2. There is a coil thermostat that bolts on the underside of the motor near where the clutch cable wheel resides. Both of my engines, the coil cable has frayed and broken and the cable is just dangling. Where does the end of the cable suppose to connect to? I can find where it once connected. How necessary is this? If it is, can you just add a little cable and connect it to whereever?

Thanks,
SLITS
1.) If you change flywheels, you should check crank endplay. You could chance it and just swap it. Make sure the shims on the crank behind it are in place.

Edit ... You will also need to mark your flywheel for 27 degrees BTDC. The 1.8 should have a mark at 7.5 degrees BTDC. Measure 55.5 mm to the right of TDC .... that's 27 degrees.

2.) The cable connects to the impeller housing cooling flaps, driver's side. Black rod across top of impeller housing. Operational ... warms up engine faster.
John
Why would you mark the flywheel at 27 degrees? Don't you mean the fan? Has Gumby been sharing?

I typically mark the flywheel at TDC and at 180 degrees (for valve adjustment from under the car).
computers4kids
confused24.gif confused24.gif
So.Cal.914
Yes flywheel will fit, you need to make sure you check the end play on the

crank and add or subtract shims as needed. Replace the crank seal, output

felt and use new bolts for piece of mind.
John
Geez,

I'm sorry.

On topic:

1. Yes the 1.8 Flywheel and clutch are the same as the 2.0 parts. You can balance the flywheel with the crank, but typically they are balanced alone.

When shimming the flywheel, there are ALWAYS a total of 3 shims. Never less and never more.

2. The thermostat cable wraps around the thermostat pulley and is routed straight up to the flappers that reside inside the cooling tin. The flappers are under spring tension, so if the cable is broken they should be in the "hot" position. The thermostat expands (lengthens) when it gets hot and allows the flappers to move to the "hot" position.

When the flappers are in the "hot" position, it diverts more air to the oil cooler.

If you grab the flapper crossbar, it should rotate and you should see the frayed end of the cable extending down toward the engine tin. There is a hole which aligns with the thermostat pulley.

I would recommend replacing the broken cable.

Good luck with that.
computers4kids
Thanks for all the advice. Found quite a bit of old threads on the workings of the cooling flaps--these motors just continue to amaze me.

Thanks again
SLITS
Didn't read what I typed .... mark the impeller fan for 27 degrees.

I've got Kalifornia shit ..... it's better than Jutaaah shit ....... smoke.gif .... brain fade.
So.Cal.914
Ya know what I learned in school today? Sharrrring.
StratPlayer
So where does this spacer (#3) fit into things. I never see anyone mentioning this spacer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.