Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this really a 915 Transaxle...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Click to view attachment

Hi...

Is this really a 915 transaxle....Wanna get one for a V8 Conversion....not sure how to identify one and tell the difference between a 915 and the 901 that comes in these cars....?

michelko
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 11 2007, 03:14 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi...

Is this really a 915 transaxle....Wanna get one for a V8 Conversion....not sure how to identify one and tell the difference between a 915 and the 901 that comes in these cars....?

Hi,
this is surely no 901 Transmission. Completely different throw out arm. The 901 has a "fork" like a streched Y.

Maybe this is a 915 or g50 trans confused24.gif

smilie_flagge6.gif
914Sixer
The case halfs should have stampings on the side starting with 915.---.---. Also clean the ridge on the bottom of trans and get the production number it will tell you. I may be wrong but the 70-71 911 trans were called 915 trans also but they have a different clutch arrangement.
URY914
VW
propricer
915 is not well suited to V8's due to gearing and, when you consider the expense of regearing, etc., it's almost cheaper to go with a 930 box which, after all is said and done, will still run you $6-$10K.

If you are going to do a high hp 350 type and you want to drive it aggressively, you will have no choice as the 901 will not stand up to that kind of torque.

If you stay with a 327, 302 or 283, the 901 will work just fine, especially if you do NOT use 1st and, if you do a fair amount of highway driving, you do an H gear swap.

You might consider getting my book ... available in the resource section for $60, it will save you a LOT of time, money and grief.

Good luck ... Ed

wbergtho
915 is not well suited to V8's due to gearing and, when you consider the expense of regearing, etc., it's almost cheaper to go with a 930 box which, after all is said and done, will still run you $6-$10K.

If you are going to do a high hp 350 type and you want to drive it aggressively, you will have no choice as the 901 will not stand up to that kind of torque.

If you stay with a 327, 302 or 283, the 901 will work just fine, especially if you do NOT use 1st and, if you do a fair amount of highway driving, you do an H gear swap.

You might consider getting my book ... available in the resource section for $60, it will save you a LOT of time, money and grief.

Good luck ... Ed

All true...I blew the 2nd gear right off the pinion shaft on my first 915 (on a high hp V-8 car)...then I upgraded to a 930 box.
wbergtho
915 attached to LS6
wbergtho
wbergtho
Steve,

Here's a couple pics of my car.

Bill
Eric_Shea
I may be wrong but the 70-71 911 trans were called 915 trans also but they have a different clutch arrangement.

It's actually called a 911, but that gets so confusing in itself.

That picture at the start of the thread may be an early 915. It's hard to tell. Look at the strengthening ribs on the 915 and 930 that Bill posted. Also, what's it sitting in? If it's a 72 or later (up to 87) 911... it's a 915.

I believe BK911 has a 915 for sale in the classifeds. Start there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.