Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic speedometer pickup in the side cover of a 915
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I'm building a 915 tranny in my spare time and just got the machining done for the R&P flop.

The speedometer pickup will have to be machined into the side of the side cover. Unfortunately, it will not be nearly as close to the magnetic ring as original.

Anyone done this with success?
GeorgeRud
We did machine a pickup point on the side cover of my 915 by dremeling away part of a stiffening rib, and flattening the cover to mount the pickup. We safety wired the pickup onto the adjacent ribs, and it's worked fine. You do have to have a pretty strong signal through the case to pick up the magnetic pulses, but it's been working fine. I used the quarter sized pickup, I believe the later ones are smaller.

I believe it would be easier to get an aftermarket billet side cover that would be easier to machine, but mine works nicely.
PRS914-6
Thanks George. Really don't want to buy a billet cover. The thrust is in the opposite direction and I feel the billet is a waste of money.

What I was thinking was to filll a small area around the fins with Devcon metal filler. Then set it up in the milling machine and machine an area just like original.

However, the distance will be about twice as far to the magnets as the original side. It sounds like it still works though and that is good news.
dflesburg
pictures!!! pictures!!! pictures!!!
dekman
Just did a 915Wevo with billet side cover with speedo mount(wimped out...cover was about $300). Will try to load pic's........good luck! clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
dekman,

did you have to add the extensions on your muffler to clear the wevo?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Feb 11 2007, 09:09 AM) *

I'm building a 915 tranny in my spare time and just got the machining done for the R&P flop.

The speedometer pickup will have to be machined into the side of the side cover. Unfortunately, it will not be nearly as close to the magnetic ring as original.

Anyone done this with success?

As one who was just helped break one off during a 911 instal....can't you use the stock 915 drive and then hang an adapter off the end?

BTW...do you are Dekman have an extra 915 nose cone that you want to sell?
PRS914-6
Mike, don't understand your question. Are you talking mechanical speedo?
Here is a pic of the ring gear swapped and a stock cover. Note the thrust is now towards the solid part of the case unlike using it in a 911.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
i think mike meant... why not use the mechanical sender to provide an electronic signal? still need some sensor/adapter thing..
PRS914-6
And here is how the speedo pickup is recessed in the case (stock)
Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 11 2007, 04:40 PM) *

i think mike meant... why not use the mechanical sender to provide an electronic signal? still need some sensor/adapter thing..

WEVO setup does not accommodate the mechanical speedo. I wish it did.....
East coaster
I still need to do this to my car.

It would be nice to have a speedo (not the marble sack type).
dekman
Aaron = yes. "Z" = yes.
John
Do you have any pics showing what had to be done to the case to flip the ring gear.

I'm interested to see what exactly needed to be done.

Thanks.
PRS914-6
OK, I machined my side cover and pressed in a cup to receive the sensor. It was a lot of work but free....The sensor is now exactly the correct distance from the magnets.

Here are a few pics....
In the lathe
Click to view attachment
Cup made with .004 press fit.
Click to view attachment
The finished product
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
Awesome solution! w00t.gif thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.