Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audi Engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Just wondering if anyone has seen an Audi engine in a 914. I read about a race car that had a turbocharged Audi engine but it was a tube frame and they basically took the entire driveline from the car (engine, transmission, axels.) I see that Audi has a couple of interesting powerplants - a twin turbo V6 and a 350 hp V8 - but noticed that Kennedy does not list the Audi brand in their list of adapter plates. Anyone know why this is? Are they too heavy? Too large? Too expensive? Just wondering because I think these engines would make decent power and have a natural kinship with the Porsche brand like VW.
JmuRiz
Anyone know why this is? Are they too heavy? Too large? Too expensive?

In a word...YES. They are very wide, and I don't think they'd fit as nicely as a SBC or something. I'd love to find out more about it...but I have an A4 w/ the 2.8 in it, it's a big sucker. Those 5 valve heads make it REALLY wide. I'm sure it COULD work, but it'd be a lot of custome fab work.
TJB/914
I had the same thought!! Why not a SBC mated to the Audi automatic transmission?? Looks like a fit to me. Anyone's thoughts & idea's?? Maybe this is something a call to Kennedy would clarify.
Tom
-P-
Hrmmm my 2.7T biturbo from my new S4 in my 914.....now that would be fun.
andys
I don't have the exact numbers at the moment, but I recall that the 8 cyl. Audi motor weights significantly more than the SBC. I too was rather surprised. Not a good choice.

Lots of 1.8 turbo Audi/Passat motors out there that could be considered for a 914 swap......interesting too, is that you could do so WITH the 5 speed transaxle and get rid of the 901. A cable shifter would be required, as the shift shaft points rearward, and is located on the upper right side of the trans (similar toythe Boxster 5 speed). Also, there's lots of performance goodies for the 1.8T, and LSD available for the 012 5 speed transaxle.

andy
soloracer
There is an S4 V6 turbo on Evil-bay right now that gave me a good case of the what if's. I'm sure it's reserve price will put it in Porsche 6 territory though...I bid on it just to find out wink.gif
Qarl
I know you can stick an Audi truck engine in a front-engined Porsche... ala 944!
Brad Roberts
KEP sells the adapter for the SBC to Audi 5000 Automatic. Somebody in LA had a Automatic V8 914. The Audi box uses Ford C4 clutch packs and brake bands.

B
Mueller
Kennedy does make or has in the past SBC to Audi transaxles (I have an old catalog with this listing)

The V6 is not too wide for the 914 engine compartment, it's the length that is a challange for some motors.

Why no one has done it?

Audi engines are not cheap, no one makes a kit (I'm betting that 90% of the SBC conversions wouldn't be done if one couldn't buy the conversion parts off the shelf)

The early Audi V6 motors are dogs, the newer ones are nice, but for your average person, too complicated with the electronics and all.

Karl, it was the 924 that used a truck motor. The 944 is half an 928 engine (boat motor smile.gif )

Soloracer, the 914/audi hybrid should be legal for the Import Drags if I read the rules correctly MDB2.gif
Scott Carlberg
the AudiVW 1.8t motors would use the VW plate from Kennedy, at least that's what KEP
told me when I asked about putting the 1.8t into my 914.

The Audi 1.8t powered 914.....
Scott Carlberg
speaking of the Audi S4 motor, the 2.7 Twin Turbo 6....

that 500hp motor that Sportline (?) had on display at the German AutoFest looked
really small.

I mean, it just don't look very big, ya know!?!
Dman
At the moment I have both an 2.8 A4 and Biturbo S4 and visually the S4 engine looks smaller the bock is very short. The whole block sits in front of the centerline of the front wheel.

I think the Biturbo would definitely but I think the 1.8 turbo from a TT would be a better solution, chipped with exhaust ~250 HP.

The 2.8 A4 is for sale if any one is interested
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.