Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What else are you into?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 14 2007, 10:34 PM) *

Artist, stone carving, girl watching and naval lint harvesting.

I would have mentioned shooting but after that thread on NARP... It didn't seem nesessary

"naval"? Thin you meant nevel. Haven't seen a speck of lint on a carrier. Assuming you meant "navel" how to you store it?

Shooting? What do you shoot? I like weapons....sorta makes me think of napalm "in the morning". Loved that smell!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 15 2007, 03:26 AM) *

Leching,
cars,
and more cars..
shooting IDP and 600 meter long rifle,
tooling on anything that i can,
teaching,
in summer BODY SURFING!!!!!!!!!
Cooking big ass meals for non profits...... And blow em away with care and quality. Outdoors only... BBQ style.

Oh... In case I forget... cars....

Other than that... I am lame as hell..............

C

No you're not! Not at all. You're one of the good guys!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 15 2007, 06:14 AM) *

I don't have time (or am in the wrong place for many of my hobbies), but they include diving, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, woodworking, and aquariums. I also enjoy collecting fountain pens.

I really don't get into marksmanship or camping - I've done enough of that at work.

I catch your drift! And THANKS!!!!!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(army dude @ Feb 15 2007, 12:26 PM) *

Well, I used to play darts on leagues and went to tournaments alot but being here has stopped that for now. Other interests are,

- medical field specializing in trauma, been in it since 84
-sports medic for a few rodeo cricuits in the south east
-work fire/rescue/medical at race tracks like Road Atlanta and Atlanta Speedway
-safety diver for power boat tour races
-shooting many many guns which I own quite a few
-body sculpting, not body building, big difference going for symetry
-80's music
-and last but not least.....women!!

Ian in Iraq...Again

Ian!!! THANK YOU! From someone who has too many years to join you. Thanks for keeping us a little bit safer! Do your job & get home for a while!

Was there in the 60's - but it wasn't the same. You are a hero!!!!!!!!
Pat Garvey
WOW! When I posted this I thought everything would be Porsche stuff. Maybe an occasional "I do bikes" or "mountain climbing". So far, the reponses have been heavilly oriented towards waterspots,etc.
Good for you guys.

But....what about the over 55group? We don't all have the knees for rock climbing, etc. AND - others, I'm not putting anyone down here - wish I could snowboard, sail, ski, etc - can't anymore.

So.....does anyone do something totally unrelated to 914's, that doesn't require the eye-hand coordination of a 25 year-old, or extreme physical conditioning for mountain climbing. You know - old fart stuff!

I, for example get a hoot out of restoring 914 mechanical parts. I'm also into model railroading. Thing I like about model railroading is that it' s clean & has become VERY high tech, and makes me grin. Thing I love about restoring old parts is that it's messy, makes me sneeze & makes me grin - sorta like sex, except for the sneezing.
But, then, I'm pushing 60. And, if you make me say it, I'll deny it. The mind is still in '72. Body isn't bad, but it's into the late 80's.
degreeoff
Lets see?

-Sailing, just bought a 19ft day sailor....needs a lil TLC but the Annapolis is a hop skip jump away

-Flying, just got my PPL Dec 22nd....after the six is done and I work a bit to pay for it I'll get a 172 or 182....good for trips to Ocean City or Atlantic city with 2-3 friends.

-Motorcycling, got my license a year ago and bought a 2004 1100 Vstar, I put 3500 miles on that last year.

-Furniture design and building..... http://www.daybydayco.com to see a few of my pics I have a sweet 3D program to compliment my autocad called 3D studio VIS...COST more than my mac daddy puter.

For work I am a general contractor...good job that gives me as much time off as I like though as I grow my company I have so much less of that...:-( go figure....Really brings the SUCK out in success.

-Boat building or I should say A SINGLE boat built. Some jack ass said I could not build a Remote control powered people moving boat....well you know I HAD to do it so I wasted 3 months and about $4k to do it...ALL remote (fly by wire) running milspec water tight electrical connectors breaks down into 3 pieces for easy one man transport, powered by 2 mini jet drives and 2 25cc HIGH performance RC boat engines with water cooled heads and tuned pipes....I got about 15 mph out of her...she still sits waiting to go from 14 ft to 8 ft and from a catamaran to a mono hull and to get rid of the jet drives and go with props (lose 33 % due to the pumps) at which point I will build some hydro foils and WALA!! I'll have a 40+ mph boat that wiegh's 100lbs...... ONE DAY confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
Corporal Beef
I play drums (badly) and do some home recording. My wife and I owned a small record label in CA and had a recording studio. I'm in grad school right now, earning my teaching certificate, so I currently don't have a lot of time for much else. My new hobby will be working on my Porsche!
Rand
QUOTE(Corporal Beef @ Feb 15 2007, 09:14 PM) *

I play drums (badly) and do some home recording. My wife and I owned a small record label in CA and had a recording studio. I'm in grad school right now, earning my teaching certificate, so I currently don't have a lot of time for much else. My new hobby will be working on my Porsche!

Dude! Local drum jam is in order! Come on over. Drive your teener, we'll talk 914, and share some chops!
Corporal Beef
Dude! Local drum jam is in order! Come on over. Drive your teener, we'll talk 914, and share some chops!
[/quote]

Brilliant! I'm such a 914 newbie, so I'd love to learn as much as I can. Do you have a drum kit set up? Here's mine...bad resolution

drunk.gif
JB 914
I spend alot of time with my wife and kids. I'm blessed to be self employed and able to go to all the school functions and activites.

I like to go fishing,but, don't get to go much since my girls have not taken to the water very well. icon8.gif barf.gif Got a boat last year. lot's of slip surfing due to the barf.gif factor. will be easing the girls back into it this summer along with lots of soothing ginger candy. biggrin.gif

I hang out on a few boating and fishing forums too.

I like to play poker. I'm not very good. I just surround myself with players that are much worse than me. Living in California is like going to heaven for a poker player. always good games. chowtime.gif

Of course there are the 914's that i never drive, cuz, they are in various stages of disassembly. i think 2007 will be a year i'll actually get one finished. Richard (aka Type 4 Unleashed) has been very helpful in getting the entire stromberg mess of an engine worked out. I think we have been able to salvage the dip stick from that engine.

I like to read a good book.

Rand
QUOTE(Corporal Beef @ Feb 15 2007, 09:34 PM) *

Do you have a drum kit set up? Here's mine...bad resolution
drunk.gif

Absolutely, drums always set up and ready for poundage! (Or rudimental finesse...)

Thanks for sharing a pic.... You may soon regret it though, as I'll flick you shit about the electronic stuff! All acoustic here baby! laugh.gif Actually, we will enjoy chatting about all that... I've been through it all... Had a recording studio in Oregon, invented/marketed some electronic drums/triggers, built some acoustic kits.... yada yada.
hi ho silber
My son (16) and I race go karts on a 1/2 mile road course. Last year shared the kart in different classes, this year added another kart and running against each other
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

Ouch! Don't damage the equipment!! headbang.gif headbang.gif

Cheers!
hi4head
I manage to get flyfishing in the NC mountains once in a while. Kinda hard with terrible knees (and I'm not in the 55+ crowd yet.)

I'm also in to 2-channel audio (also known as stereo; some of you may remember this format).

Making jewelry occupies significant time when I'm not at my day job. I should probably spend more time with my website. www.naturallycast.com

Chris
drgchapman
This made me think about my life and what I'm doing with it...........
Shit I'm just here to have as much fun as possible.
As I'm approaching the older group, I find I have traded in some activities for others, such as motocross racing for a/x and track days in the Porsche.
Here goes my list:
Traveling, my wife and I are on a mission to see the world, we have been on every continent except Antartica, and it is on the list.

Water skiing and snowskiing, great speed thrills

Guns. I love guns, especially automatic weapons. I hunt birds, shoot trap and skeet I and collect WWII guns and infantry equipment.

Scuba diving, we travel and dive, a great combination. It's a rush to be in the food chain from time to time.

Fly fishing, as I get older this makes more sense to me. I enjoy fooling the fish.

My kids are pretty much grown and gone, except for the inevitable boomarang thing that I'm told will happen after they graduate from college. Family is the light of my life, I love spending time with my kids and wife and the inlaws and outlaws.

Golf. I love golf, I wish it loved me back.

Home improvement, cabinet making, just plain building things, from pouring concrete to dock building to finish carpentry. I enjoy standing back and looking at the finished product.

We still love to party. Too much fun having a bunch of folks over for good vittles and great music.

Work gets in the way of playing sometimes, but not much.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Rand
Gary, nice post! I got a kick out of your words... And some inspiration. And cool photos! Wow, that water was GLASS! Where were you snorkeling when you found that plane???
Corporal Beef
Absolutely, drums always set up and ready for poundage! (Or rudimental finesse...)

Thanks for sharing a pic.... You may soon regret it though, as I'll flick you shit about the electronic stuff! All acoustic here baby! laugh.gif Actually, we will enjoy chatting about all that... I've been through it all... Had a recording studio in Oregon, invented/marketed some electronic drums/triggers, built some acoustic kits.... yada yada.
[/quote]

Ha! I know what you mean; I was a purest myself, but I've been pulled to the dark side. Email me and we'll set up a time. I'm a little slammed with school, but it will free up soon.
aktion035.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 16 2007, 09:55 AM) *

Gary, nice post! I got a kick out of your words... And some inspiration. And cool photos! Wow, that water was GLASS! Where were you snorkeling when you found that plane???

The WWII F4U Corsair went down sometime around the invasion of Guadal Canal and was snorkled near the island of Efete in Vanuatu (The New Heberdes Islands in the middle of the South Pacific). We also dove the Coolidge, a 600+ foot luxury liner converted to troop carrier in ~200 feet of water. Very cool trip, great diving, WWII history, and primative culture.

The skiing is in my back yard, on the Willamette river here in the Portland area. I ski ~150 days/year.
goose2
Cool to see so many sailors here.....sailboat racing is my main diversion most of the year. Also traveling, skiing, snorkeling, fly-fishing....a little guitar and keyboard playing. When there's nothing else going on, I build stuff out of wood. All this works well for my nearly 60 body. Here's a pic of me at the helm of "goose".
i love porsche
snowboarding, backpacking, started getting into mountainbiking, and im gonna start surfing this summer
slothness
Brazilian woman.... wub.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(JB 914 @ Feb 15 2007, 09:41 PM) *

I like to go fishing,but, don't get to go much since my girls have not taken to the water very well. icon8.gif barf.gif Got a boat last year. lot's of slip surfing due to the barf.gif factor. will be easing the girls back into it this summer along with lots of soothing ginger candy. biggrin.gif

I have the same problem. Unfortunately my dad seems to think I'm some sort of good luck charm. But I think it's just because I feed the fish. barf.gif

Load the girls up on Bonine. One before bed, and one more the morning of. Works really well. And you're not sleepy like Dramamine. I got thru 4/5 of a snorkling trip on Maui, which is much better than how I normally do.

Jen
PatW
got one of these a few months ago.. Into working out in Aikido.
Coy
I don't like Old German Motorcycles as much as I like old German Sportscars, but I almost do (although me and my wife don't do as much of this as we did before we had kids...)

Click to view attachment

Now I have a beautiful family and I spend almost all my time with them.

Here's a link to a few projects we did when when it was raining or we didn't have anything else going on...

http://all-digital.net/kids.htm

Oh, and we also do Martial Arts, and camping and bicycling and all that stuff too.

r_towle
nada...
for me..

All my time is spent on the kids...

Rich
faster48
I ride/race motocross pretty much every weekend from April to November aktion035.gif . I spend too much $$ on MX to really do what I want with the 914 huh.gif
turboman808
Nice to see what everyone is up to.

I guess we all go thru phases where we focus on different things. Right now it's photography and video for me. Friend is helping me with cars(filming) and in return I help him film women. So we got a pretty cool thing going on now. Wish I had cool stuff to show you right now but I don't.

Also I have jumped back into party promotion. Absolutely no money in it at all but it's fun to create your idea of a club night and see people get pumped off your vision. Have a party coming up the first week of April.
DerekKim
Well I'm in music theory. Music is the other part of my life I guess.
I play the bass, piano, guitar, and I use to play/working on the viola.

Here's me with my EpiphoneViola bass and my new rig!

Click to view attachment

I also do Tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do.

I try new things all the time.
zymurgist
I guess I'm an "honorary" 914 guy because I keep Babydoll alive. Her owner was so grateful, she bestowed the moniker "Ace Mechanic" on me. Hey, I figure, let her believe it if she wants. dry.gif

I do enjoy old cars; my garage space is shared by an American classic and a German classic. That's my guard dog Althea next to them. You'd better watch out or she'll lick the whiskers clean off your face.
zymurgist
I'm getting back into homebrewing after a 6 year hiatus. One thing about living in the Mid-Atlantic is the proliferation of fine local beers. For a long time, I felt like I couldn't brew better beer than what I could buy. Plus, sanitizing and filling 50 bottles one at a time is much more of a chore than emptying those 50 bottles one at a time. I'm still not totally convinced that I can brew better beer than what the local craft brewers make, but since I got a sweet deal on some Coca-Cola kegs and a Cajun cooker, I decided to get back into the brewing scene. beerchug.gif
jim912928
I play the drums (Mapex and Roland electronic), home repair, dirt bike (KTM 400)...and enjoy hitting the country roads on this:

mrgreenjeans
----AND all of us LOVE Teeners ! Man You guys make me feel inadequate. Great interests all !!!! What great reading------

My love interest --0f 30 years, ( Pam ) and I :

--Enjoy Porsche competition/ socializing with a '74 - 914/2.0, and an 84 -944- M030. Show both, DE with the M030, some SCCA solo, some PCA events

--Motorsports - competition and viewing

--Collect vintage motorcycles, vintage cars, vintage pickups- ( nothing new here in this house, the newest Driver is 9 years old ! )

--Ride an S-2 Buell, Sportster 1200, Triumph 900 T-bird Sport triple, and Triumph 1200 SP Limited Edition-4

--Hunt critters in the Fall, Big game- 4 legged, and Small game - birds

--Collect guns; all- Long, shot, and hand

--Travel as much as time will allow

--Lighthouse Photography

--Birdwatching

--Restoring a hundred year old house on our Farm

--Art Pottery collecting

--Spending time with our Schnauzer: Penrose, and our Tomcat :Gus
grantsfo
Going for hikes in mountains around my house. Taking my dog for walks on the beach. Traveling to interesting places. Crewing on offshore races. ...And playing my didgeridoo in my Captains hat.

ejm
Two houses, two kids, three grandchildren and four daily drivers take up most of my free time...

Interests in the past include biking, guns, astronomy

Currently spend free time collecting old postcards and paper from the towns where I grew up and where I'm living now, reading (history mostly) and keeping honeybees.. about 1/4 million of them during the summer..

steveaz

My job, I'm an Aerospace Enginerd and I get to build rockets.

Working on my rough but running 912, collecting parts for the non running 914. The 914 was my daily driver in the late 80's-early 90's and I will never get rid of it.

Teaming up with my wife to keep our 2 and 6 year old kids from running amok. Actually, this one accounts for about 90% of my free time.

Road cycling (mountain bike has been collecting dust for some reason), running, skateboarding (falling hurts more at 37, ouch).

Listening to music, working on our house (we gutted it 3 years ago, It's mostly done now, NEVER AGAIN).

Brian Mifsud
Singin' Sea Chanties...Sailing....
IPB Image

Building/Fixin'/Restoring Wooden Boats and associated metal lumps...
Here's my 45 year old fuel tank I'm retrofitting with manhole and fuel injection feed pump....

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
I compose music. You can listen and download a few tracks here ...

http://johannes.fr

My mini studio ...

IPB Image
JPB
I have used up my winters productively in deep self exploration and transmentalmeditation to stimulate as many out of body experiences as possible. To on lookers they just think I'm vegetating. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.