Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 58 assdragger thread....now rustgrinding....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Trekkor
Looks like a fun project. Nice score!

Will you keep this one or sell it?

I'd keep this one.

KT
Twystd1
Nice car Mike...

C
mpribanic
Here's a pic of a different color choice. TurquoiseGreen. One year only(2000) BMW Z3 color choice. Looks period correct on my 356. Their are tons of great colors that will stand apart from the silver crowd. It is your car though so...

IPB Image

IPB Image
mpribanic
Here's another uncommon color...But this is an OG color

IPB Image

IPB Image

or this uncommon OG color

IPB Image

IPB Image
i love porsche
nice car mike, i was hoping that guy would go to a good owner. i want to see how this one folds out
Joe Bob
Pretty colors both....but I'm so far from paint right now that I'm considering everything.....yellow and red are out though....

As to what I'm gonna do with it? Well originally my brother wanted it.....but it looks like he's gonna flake. I've actaully had some offers for it as-is, running as-is and finished......don't know yet.....
rhodyguy
in hindsight, i wish i had sold the 914s along with every bit of related trash cluttering up the storage and bought the red car jim chambers had at camp914. 20/20.

k
Porsche Rescue
And I wish I had kept it!
rhodyguy
ouch!!! so complete. the interior was supr nice. ask craig. i uncovered it twice. causally mentioned it to jeanne while she was looking at an Excellence with one pictured. she was all about it. your car was sold. i love the *notch* styling.

k
Porsche Rescue
Hijack: The best part of the story of that car was the incredible luck I had in buying it. Got it on Ebay with a winning bid of $10,101. It was consigned to a dealer by the owner. It was in upstate NY and could have been very rusty. Guy assured me on the phone that it was solid. Arrived on the truck and to my amazement, no rust apparent anywhere! Cost $1800 to ship to Oregon. Sold it for $12,500 after deciding I didn't have the energy to do the resto. Should have.
It is now somewhere in So. CA.
Joe Bob
This one is a contender.....

IPB Image
StratPlayer
Something along these lines would be nice
KaptKaos
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 17 2007, 10:12 AM) *

IPB Image

agree.gif clap56.gif smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif
Joe Bob
OK OK....it has a rear lid now.....

tdgray
What are ya tryin to conform now huh.gif
drewvw

great find mike, i like those uncommon blues from the B period....man i know of two good ones right now but the money they take to restore is just too much.
Joe Bob
Well....cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires.....She's running....smokes when hot due to oil in the muffler but it's dissipating. No oil dripping.....

Waiting on the new dual circuit master cylinder from Zims and then I'll blow out the lines and add fluid.....hopefully the wheel cylinders will hold.......
r_towle
QUOTE(drewvw @ Feb 17 2007, 02:44 PM) *

great find mike, i like those uncommon blues from the B period....man i know of two good ones right now but the money they take to restore is just too much.

Do tell grasshopper...

Rich
drewvw

you already know, one is in your barn biggrin.gif
r_towle
and the other????????????

I figured one I knew...the other one ...is that up near pop?
Rich
snflupigus
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 17 2007, 09:50 AM) *

in hindsight, i wish i had sold the 914s along with every bit of related trash cluttering up the storage and bought the red car jim chambers had at camp914. 20/20.

k

hindsight... lol... if i had a crystal ball I would be able to recreate this picture today...

IPB Image

Look, it does rain in Arizona sometimes!

o well. I do love this truck now too.. sold the topper today mike, 300 bucks to go on an old guys wifes truck, where it truely belongs. LOL.

That lid will actually look pretty good i think.

I love that black coupe but the blue one has all the right stuff too.

fun stuff. aktion035.gif

jimtab
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 15 2007, 04:49 PM) *

drooley.gif I'm so jealous. I don't think I would like driving a 356, but I sure as hell want one. SEXY!

Oh yes you would..... biggrin.gif
mpribanic

IPB Image

Now your talking.

Anything but silver, red or white.
Joe Bob
Thanks....I forgot how much fun a pushrod flat four motor is....I sit there and rev it while it burns off the accumulated oil in the muffler.....

Pushed in the clutch....grind in each gear....crap, looks like a cable adjustment...I hope. Sprayed some PB blaster on the adjustment nuts....hopefully I can get it gear tomorrow with some minor adjustments....

KTF....

Z
Joe Bob
BTW....
I'm probably going to get NLA's 15x5.5 chromies.....what can I fit on them that won't rub on my T2 fender wells? 185-195/60s feasible?
Aaron Cox
185 would be the best size for that rim.
Joe Bob
Cool....looks like 356 guy is interested in the 1958 date stamped wheels...like I care if they are dated......I can sell them, get some wider chromies and have $$ left over for tires.
jd74914
QUOTE(mpribanic @ Feb 17 2007, 08:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Now your talking.

Anything but silver, red or white.

agree.gif That is awesome beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
I've been avoiding this thread for a reason. Specially after seeing all the outlaw cars. Should have never sold my 58 sunroof coupe... dry.gif
MJHanna
good find Mike, I sure enjoyed my 64...
MJHanna
mikey you like outlaws here one for you.

grantsfo
null
So.Cal.914
The Outlaws are badass but I couldn't help but post this one.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 22 2007, 12:52 PM) *

mikey you like outlaws here one for you.

oh that flare is wicked!

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 22 2007, 02:56 PM) *

I say go porky

agree.gif looks cool
r_towle
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 15 2007, 01:12 PM) *

Surprisingly solid for being 50 years old.....was advertised as a 59 but the VIN and engine show a 58 model that was sold in 59....build date in 57.

Hey,
In response to your CW question on the Registry..

The reflectors are not stock, that is where the overrider bar supports go in and bolt to the frame. Look inside, you will see the mounting bolt hole (s) for the bar.

It was popular to remove them, but putting them back has become the latest fad, only if they were stock to begin with...and yours are stock.

Rich
Project 6
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Feb 22 2007, 02:56 PM) *

I say go porky

I don't think that was a compliment. sheeplove.gif
grantsfo
null
Joe Bob
little bit of bling.........
Click to view attachment

A litttle rust????

Click to view attachment

Then ya do the grinder and find this.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
Interesting.. thumb3d.gif Spray Bondo!!!
Joe Bob
Wet vac leaves lines.....I've been going around with a magnet and hitting the areas where it falls off with a heavy wire brush......
Aaron Cox
are 356 door gaps done by leading?
Joe Bob
Leaded edges....That's the rumor....haven't started grinding on the doors as yet. The bottoms seem to be the worst.....the skin on the passenger side looks to be seperating from the door frame.

I contacted a 356 restoration friend and he says that the bottom five inches is a common replacement piece. So, gonna keep looking for cancer and grinding.....finally got all the brake parts and will start on that phase. Just need to get motivated.
r_towle
if you take a look (and you will) at how that fender traps dirt/water, you will see why they ALL rust there.

To do it right.
The door stays on the car, do not remove, or re-hang it after you re-skin the bottom.
So, door is first.
Then you get the gap on the BOTTOM of the door correct by adjusting the hinges.
That is all you can do with the hinges.
From there, you weld in the front and rear sections of the fenders
(front fender rear, rear fender front)
and match the door gaps as best you can by cutting/grinding the replacement piece, again...with the door in place.

All the parts are available at RD, or Zims.
grind away on the fender right behind the door.
Same idea, dirt/water get in there.

There is alot of lead around the doors also...so wear a mask.
I will still buy it if you get frustrated.
Rich
Joe Bob
I wanna at least get it on the road first....see how it drives. Then see what the paint is gonna cost me. That will be decision time.
brer
oh my, i'm having flashbacks.

smile.gif
Joe Bob
Some Italians came by to see the 58.....seems like they are on a buying tour. Says he's gonna make me an offer.....hopefully one I won't have to worry about refusing.....
cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
booo
r_towle
Mike,
From what I have heard, everything was junked back in the 70's and early 80's so they are shopping (the Italians) for project cars to ship back home.

Its where the market is for projects right now, and its where more than a few I have touched have gone.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.