Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: +1 and +2 Wheel Options for a Stock Fendered/Suspended 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
I'm finally getting around to working on the '73 2.0 that I bought in April of last year... Being a '73 2.0 in very-much stock form, it still has the 15x5.5 Appearance Package 2.0 FUCHS, which I want to preserve for shows/etc...

I want to get a second set of wheels and tires for daily/fun driving, but of course am finding limited options in 4x130. I've done a bunch of searches here and found the threads that discuss various wheels that can be historically found on 914s, but I'm trying to find ones that I can still buy today...

I'd really like to get something in a 16" or 17" by maybe 7" so that I can get some wider tread and shorter sidewalls... biggrin.gif In either case, I'm expecting to be going with ~205s, as I have no desire to roll fenders and would rather not run spacers, etc...

From my searches here, I've found:
16" Superlites from Pack Racing (as documented by Nick Mironov)

17" Revolutions (as Documented by Mueller)

Can anybody provide options I may not be aware of (and if you can post a link to a source, that would be GREAT)?

In the absence of options, can anybody help me narrow-down what I should looking for in a 16x7 or 17x7 for offset and/or backspacing on a stock fendered/suspended '73 2.0?

Thanks!
Dave
2-OH!
I am just completing my 73 tub off restoration...Only I ran out of money before I got to the wheels...So, I went cheapo until I can rob enough 7-11's to change over to five lug set-up, hopefully next year...

There are several VW shops here in So Cal that I called out of their advertisements in "HOT VW's" magazine...

Ultimately, I bought a set of EMPI knock off's to get by for the year or so until I can convert to five lug...$69 bucks a piece + $4 for a center cap...They are 4 1/2 backspacing and the biggest tire I could get on them was 185R65-15's...Got almost a finger width between the fender and the tire...

This car is a daily driver so I do not plan to race it...

Yes, I was scared about quality and would they balance...But they did and ride very smooth...A cheap investment for part time or short time investment...

2-OH!
Krieger
Hey,
I have a set of custom Fitipaldi (I think, they have the letters FP on the centercap) wheels from a car I recently purchased. They are 15x7 and fit under the stock fenders of this 914. They are the standard 4 bolt pattern and have a 140mm offset, with 205/50 tires. send me your email and I will reurn pixs. I want $500 for them.
Andy
Heckler
Bumping to see if anybody has any additional suggestions for 16" or 17" in 4x130 before I pull the trigger (slowly, given the 2-3 month lead time for Charcoal) on the 16x7, 4x130, +35 Superlites from Pack Racing...? The 17" revolutions are bigger wheels than I think I want to run, and not my stylistic choice...

Thanks!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Heckler @ Feb 20 2007, 12:34 PM) *

I'm finally getting around to working on the '73 2.0 that I bought in April of last year... Being a '73 2.0 in very-much stock form, it still has the 15x5.5 Appearance Package 2.0 FUCHS, which I want to preserve for shows/etc...

I want to get a second set of wheels and tires for daily/fun driving, but of course am finding limited options in 4x130. I've done a bunch of searches here and found the threads that discuss various wheels that can be historically found on 914s, but I'm trying to find ones that I can still buy today...

I'd really like to get something in a 16" or 17" by maybe 7" so that I can get some wider tread and shorter sidewalls... biggrin.gif In either case, I'm expecting to be going with ~205s, as I have no desire to roll fenders and would rather not run spacers, etc...

From my searches here, I've found:
16" Superlites from Pack Racing (as documented by Nick Mironov)

17" Revolutions (as Documented by Mueller)

Can anybody provide options I may not be aware of (and if you can post a link to a source, that would be GREAT)?

In the absence of options, can anybody help me narrow-down what I should looking for in a 16x7 or 17x7 for offset and/or backspacing on a stock fendered/suspended '73 2.0?

Thanks!
Dave

These are the earlier Revolutions... Lighter...
Joe Bob
www.jbugs.com will make a 4x130 steel wheel, chrome or painted, in any offsett needed. You have to call, it's not on the website.
Heckler
Going to go with the Pack Racking Superlites:
Size: 16x7
Bolt pattern: 4 x 130
Offset: +35 mm
Color: Charcoal w/Machined Lip

Going to put 205/55ZR16 Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 on them (still wish I could get another set for my M3 which came with them) as they have the smallest cross-section (8.1" vs 8.6" for Nick Mironov's BFGoodrich g-Force Sports once adjusted for 7" wide rims, according to TireRack's website)... Nick's are quite a bit less expensive though $81/ea vs $139/ea, but I'm accustomed to M3 tire prices, $139/ea is like a 40% discount to me!!!

Thanks!
914helo
Those should look nice. Please post pics when you get them.
Silver Surfer
As a newbie trying to figure out this whole wheel/tire thing with stock fenders and 4-bolts this has been a helpful post! I'm interested to see how the superlights look on your car, please post pictures when done! clap56.gif

marks914
Here is my car.
17x7 Boxter S alloys, 24,5mm spacers , 20mm spacer on the left rear.

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.