Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SF Bay group buy on 914 R/C body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave_Darling
From the sound of it (see this thread), shipping is going to be a reasonably major expense for the 914 R/C body group buy.

Is anyone interested in getting a SF Bay Area deal going on this? It could cut down on the shipping quite a bit. (Even more, if the car bodies stack or "nest" nicely!) One person would buy N of them from Ed, and the locals would stop in and get them in person... This would also cut down on the "hassle factor" for Ed, so it could be a win/win.

I could be the guy "in the barrel", but it would probably be better if someone who actually had a Pay Pal account were to bo the guy.

And, of course, this is all at the sufferance of Ed, who is being nice enough to do the whole distributorship thing for us.

--DD
Mueller
Well,

I've already sent him payment via Paypal for two bodies...so I'm sure something could be worked out to save a few bucks.

Mike
Demick
I was thinking about this also. There are probably at least a dozen people within 10 miles of Dave that could easily just pick up the bodies from him (Sunnyvale, CA). I think the way to do this is to still have all of the money go directly to Ed. Everything would still work the same, but each person who wants to do this would specify that their body is being shipped to Dave (or whoever wants to volunteer to distribute the bodies). Cost per body should be in the $22 to $24 range (Ed to specify). When the bodies arrive, Ed sends a single shipment to Dave, and each person who has bought one of them must arrange to pick it up from Dave. This would cut down on costs, and cut down on the amount of shipping that Ed has to do, so it should be a win-win situation for everyone.

If Dave doesn't want to distribute, I will volunteer to distribute (I work about 2 minutes from Dave).

Ed - what do you think? And can you come up with a total cost per body assuming a dozen or so bodies would be group-shipped?

Of course, the only way this works is if enought people are interested, so if you would be interested and willing to pick up your body in Sunnyvale (or a roadglue 914 breakfast), reply to this thread and we'll see if there is enough interest.

Demick
ChrisReale
What the hell are these RC bodies?
Mueller
Chris:

IPB Image

Unpainted and with no other parts than a clear shell.
PorschePony
I think it is a great idea to group them and save cost. THat was in my first email was that the major cost was th eshipping. THe costs are based on size not weight.

THe bodies are coming straight frm Germany to me (ohio). I just talked to him, and he decides that it was easier for him to put in th eorder, I wire them the money on his behalf, and they are shipped straight to me. The cost is basically the same, but saves about a week in handling.

SO back to the group, go for it! We can adjust anybody who has submitted money for a single shipment, or add to it and ship all to them! The final price per unit has to be in the $22-$24 range. It would take about 12 or more to see that cost break, but that is a realistic number in your area.

Let me know, so we can get the order started, because it is about 3 weeks to get them after money is received.
PorschePony
I just calulated the cost for 12, and it looks like $23 each would do it. I am calculating that they fit nicely in 2 boxes.
Dave_Darling
Excellent! boldblue.gif

As I said, I think it would probably be better for someone who had a Pay Pal account to be the contact. It would be a bit obnoxious to make Ed wait for a check to clear, and some of us are Luddites enough not to do the Pay Pal thing. (Yet. Hey, I finally have a cell phone, so anything is possible... wink.gif )

--DD
PorschePony
Don't tell Mueller I mentioned this, but you should talk him into doing it. He already has the account, a real go-getter, etc.!

THat is between you and me but Mueller seems the perfect fit.

We have 20 without your order, so in another day we should be ready to order.

20+ your 12 =32 and I was ordering 40. If we beat the 40 I'll order more, but 40 was my minimum.
djm914-6
Ed, I'll buy any extras if need be. As a mater of fact, bring a few extra with you to Hershey and leave them at my area. I'll bet more than a few will sell even unpainted.

All, If anyone wants me to paint theirs, Ed may be able to deliver them to me at the Hershey event next month. This will also save on any extra shipping. If you want to paint your own, but have questions, I'll be glad to help out.
PorschePony
Great idea!

This subgrouping is helping save some shipping cost. Anybody wanting to buy them and pick up at Hersey show, can get them for $23 each, since the shipping is $0 and pay me a $2 for gas. WOW I'll be rich!

In fact I'll overbuy by about 5-10 (if we are short of min.) to set you up and we can sell them for $25-$30 at the show to anyone not initially submitting to our plan.

How does that sound?
Aaron Cox
I am in CA, but not the bay are sad.gif .....can one of you bay area-ers (sp) ship it to me from there? would this still save me some shipping dough? TIA cool.gif
Carrera916
Hey,

I'm at the bay area and have the paypal account. I would mind help out since I want to buy two of the RC bodies.

Yes, I may be new to you but I've kept track of this wild (at times) BBS and feel comfortable to help out shipping for local CA areas if needed. Of course, it's cheaper for you to chip in the local shipping instead of Ohio or Germany.

Let me know,

jerry beerchug.gif
PorschePony
Hey Bay people, we are at 25 confirmed/billed bodies.

Get your designated person in order and lets get this stuff ordered.! It sounds like a couple of you are perfect to be the designated guy (breathing, buying, paypal)

I can deliver to Hersey swap meet, so contact me about ordering and picking up there. But we need to place the order now to ensure I get them in time!
Demick
Well, unless people have been contacting Dave directly, there doesn't seem to be much interest in the SF Bay group buy. Only Dave, myself, and Jerry have shown interest.

So if you are interested in participating in the SF group buy, reply to this thread with the number of bodies you want. Otherwise, I guess we'll drop it (actually, whoever is still interested, we can still do the group buy, but the price per body may be higher than $23 if we don't get enough people).

Demick
Mueller
Ed,

You can send the Bay Area ones to me if the buyers send you an e-mail specifing it...I have no problem getting them to whoever is on the list locally.

Mike Mueller
Dave_Darling
I'm in for one.

--DD
PorschePony
Sure Mike Mueller, that's no problem, now I just need a count so I can tell you how much it is total.

Basically I can Charge everbody else $23, and you hit up for $1-$2 to cover your additional shipping. So the more people you deliver to, the less per person.

I think Monday AM is a good point to draw a line, and tally and order. We need time to get then in before everything changes.

Sound realistic?
PorschePony
Oh by the way, are you going to handle the money for the couple of people who don't have Paypal, and collect it from them with the car?
Mueller
Hey Ed,

I'll handle the money for those slackers that have not stepped into the new world and have not used PayPal wink.gif

Mike
Carrera916
Okay.....let's channel the order & money to Muller!

I'm ready to pay for two....I suppose this email address is the one to use on PayPal?

Thanks for taking over!

jerry beer.gif
PorschePony
Now are moving! Just email me with your email, qty, and if I bill you or him.

I'll place the order on Monday.
Mueller
Jerry, send my your contact info.....

Demick is also having his r/c bodies sent to me

anyone else?? Dave??
Dave_Darling
Yes, Dave. Actually, Mike--put me down for four. What the heck. I'm guessing that we might be able to sell extras (for cost) if we have 'em.

--DD
Mueller
Sell 'em at cost?? heck no....eBay all the way for the extras......start 'em at 30 bucks...
Chris914n6
Hey, count me in for two.
Will need them shipped to Las Vegas since it doesn't look like I'll be going anywhere soon.
Got Paypal...

Chris
914n6
http://nissan6.914resources.com
wavey.gif
PorschePony
Ok guys, here we are.....

I just ordered 40 914 shells, and 2 356 shells. The decals might come with it. He is talking to the factory tonight to confirm. I told him if thery were extra, to order 6 sheets for anyone who wants them.

I decided to order them myself, and cover the cost, to get this started. I wanted to make sure they were on there way here ASAP.

So Tues-Wed. I will get the preship proforma, and I will wire them the money.

Sounds like 40 is about the right amount. We will have the only known 40 shell in the US.

His company (Royal Hobby Distributors tm, Multiplex USA) has a RC race track in Southern CA, and was going to put on a race/car show there in June. He was intrigued by all of our getting the 914 bodies in, and was considering using the 914 for the marque car. He would have a real car show, then have 1/10 RC racing, requiring all participants to be using 914 shells.

Wow would that be interesting.
Aaron Cox
I am still down for (1) one, will need it shipped to sothern CA or can probably pick it up at the D G swap...or i can just pony up and pay the shipping! who do i send money to? and adjusted shipping? huh.gif
PorschePony
Your choices are: Get with Mueller above and make arrangements to get from him as part of his shipment

or Get directly from me and I ship to your house,

Or you pickup at the Hersey Swap meet

or you fly to Germany, get all of them and save us all shipping money...

THe instructions are on 1st post, use link, or contact Mueller if you are close to him.
PorschePony
Name Qty Status

Gary Stellmach 2 Paid
netMercury 2 Paid
David McLaughlin 5 Paid
Kelly Thorson 2/2 Paid
Ed Secrest 2 Paid
mike rose 1 Paid
Justin Fischer 2 Paid
Geoffrey Bartelmes 2 Paid
Roy Galan 2 Billed
Rick Harris 2 Billed
Robin Haas 1 Paid
Vaughan Williams 2 Billed
Kerry Herr 1 Paid
Marc-André Morin 2 Paid
Demick Boyden 2 Paid

This is my list. If it is not correct, email me. I have every Paypal transaction for each.

We have 31 already, so if you want to add, modify your order, now is the time. I have 40 on order as of a couple of hours ago. Not knowing the world next week, I choose to get them started!

If we exceed 40 over the weekend, I can call and up to amount but to get delivery intime for upcoming events, I went ahead and ordered.
PorschePony
2 more have been added, bringin the total to 33 paid/billed

Rick Ollah 1 Billed
Greg Panik 1 Paid

REMEMBER, IF YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE LIST, YOU NEED TO EMAIL ME TO GET IT THERE!
Dave_Darling
Where's Mueller? I thought he was already on the list??

Like I said, put me down for four, to be shipped to Mueller. I will get him the $$ next time I see him. (Maybe the Roadglue breakfast, Mike?)

--DD
PorschePony
Don't panic! netMercury is Mike Mueller.
And your qty comes over to me now from Mike. So you are fine for 4!
PorschePony
Based on the 40 car order, we have the following:

Paid

Gary Stellmach 2
Mike Mueller 2
David McLaughlin 5
Kelly Thorson 2
Ed Secrest 2
mike rose 1
Justin Fischer 2
Geoffrey Bartelmes 2
Dave Darling 4
Robin Haas 1
Kerry Herr 1
Marc-André Morin 2
Demick Boyden 2
Rick Ollah 1
Greg Panik 1
Bruce Napier 2

32 bodies locked up

Billed No response:

Roy Galan 2 Billed: 3/11/2003
Rick Harris 2 Billed: 3/12/2003
Vaughan Williams 2 Billed: 3/13/2003
Aaron Cox 1 Billed: 3/14/2003

7 bodies tied up, no response

After 3/17, Noon (Ohio Time), any of the above are dropped from the list who has not responded to the billing.

Next up in order:

Chris (Chris914n6) qty 2
Jerry (Carrera916) qty 2
Craig C. Laughlin qty 1/1
PLus an new ones just requestd today.

We are on a 40 body working sheet, not knowing if he can add 10 to the order. SO I am taking money for th e1st 40, listings for the next 10.
PorschePony
Ready to go:
Gary Stellmach, Mike Mueller, David McLaughlin, Kelly Thorson, Ed Secrest, mike rose, Justin Fischer, Geoffrey Bartelmes, Roy Galan, Dave Darling, Robin Haas, Vaughan Williams, Kerry Herr, Marc-André Morin, Demick Boyden, Greg Panik, Jerry McCarthy, Chris Prim

IN Process:
Rick Ollah, Aaron Cox, Bruce Napier, Craig C. Laughlin, Steve Iverson

Lost in Space:
Rick Harris

Yes Dave D, you are in the 'ready to go' list...

We are getting the first order ready to bring in, but we need to keep getting the word out to keep the sales coming. I ordered a larger qty. to help the distributor. Tell your friends about getting David L. to paint the body to match their car. He is going to have extras for painting to match car setup. Email him for pricing...
PorschePony
Latest Update

THe distributor told me the bodies are in line to be made. I guess the bodies were out of stock, so he had to order 500 to get the order through.

We should have confirmation on the delivery this week coming up. Sorry for the delay, but we will have the freshest R/C shells in the country!

I hope they come soon, as I have spent $500+ waiting for them to come. Why did I ever get into this!!! I started with nothing, now I have 3 race cars and 3 4x4 trucks. I bought a 4x4 USA-1 to tow it, a trailer to put the 914 on, a 4wd chassis for the 914 body, plus racing motors, controls, tires, etc. Then I got hooked up with the 'Magnificent Dave', and got a custom truck body for the 4x4, and he is painting the trailer to match it. Boy I think I have a little obsession problem.

See the truck pic below, it's beautiful...
seanery
I'd like to see the trailer.
djm914-6
I'd like to see the trailer too... before I really forget how I painted the Suburban... Oops. too late.

No 914, but at least it's a Porsche. Painted in a color flip paint...
PorschePony
Finally I got word from the distributor that he got the proforma from Carson for the shipment. That means the Germans finally made the bodies.

So I send the money next, and we get the parts soon!

Sorry for the delay, but we were at the mercey of Carson making/delivering them.

Ed
PorschePony
The distributor said they should start hitting the larger orders or CA guys today. He said he wasn't very happy with Carson, in the time it took and the look of the car isn't quite as nice as the pic..

The 356's didn't come over, so he will either send you a 914, or refund the money.

Please email me as you receive them and your thoughts.

Thanks again for your patience... I hope it was all worth it.
Mueller
I hope they show up this week !!!

I'm going to be out of state for two weeks and the group buy guys that I am supposed to distribute to will be pissed off smile.gif
Scott Carlberg
Just a REMINDER....

As I was too late to get in on the original order,
and
I've told Dave Darling that IF he has one extra, I'd take it.

But if that doesn't work out either, and the 'seller' here has one
extra, please see ME!!!

Scott
werksracer@yahoo.com
mikester
I'd love to get one too, what scale are they?

1/10th or 1/12th?
djm914-6
These are 1/10th scale and fit Tamiya's M0#L chassis'. I know that the importer has a 'few' extras as should PorschePony. I will also have some to sell if you want one custom painted.
Dave_Darling
I think I'll have at least one or two more extras after Scott gets his.

--DD
PorschePony
OK, Here is where we are at.

I asked why we didn't get them. He stopped shipment, because the parts were not good looking. When he said that it wasn't quite as nice as the pic, he looked again and said that he didn't even want to ship because they would all be shipped back. He sent me a part. It is a cross between a 914 and a Pacer. Very rounded, must have been blown out of mold to quick?

Carson apologized and is sending replacements. He said he will send out from there (CA in 2 weeks when Carson makes good on their promise).

If anyone wants out, email me and I'll refund your money, and try to get it back from the distributor. I'm going to stick it out, since I have waited this long, its becoming the "Harry Potter Book " in the form of the R/C Body. Its not a lot of money individually, but overall it adds up.

So I'll email again in 2 weeks when I hear from our Guy. I'm trying to keep on top of this and will do whatever it takes to finish it.

Thanks again for your patience... I hope it was all worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.