Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rustproofing In the 70's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I'm looking at a 76 Laguna 2.0 (at the pic stage right now) and see plugs fore and aft of the door sill. Car appears fairly rust free and lived a pampered life in the dreaded East and Midwest. Do the plugs have to be a bad sign? Could the longs still be in good shape? Maybe the good news is the rustproofing worked and that's why the car has not broken in half!

Paterek rustproofed my old 76 in the 80s, hid any holes, used (I believe) an oil-based ?Bosch product that seemed to work well over the years, still hasn't rusted out to this day. From what I remember, he pulled back the sail vinyl for rustproofing as well.

Other products were some kind of spray foam, no? Where else would 914's commonly have plugs?

Thanks,

Paul
McMark
Those holes don't go into the long. wink.gif My camera battery is dead, so you get crappy cell phone pics.
Brando
If you're talking of the black cap that goes into that square opening... That's a 'beauty plug' to cover your jack point.
jd74914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 27 2007, 11:42 PM) *

Other products were some kind of spray foam, no? Where else would 914's commonly have plugs?

Mine has plugs in both trunks . . . but they are non factory and were drilled to let water out when it rains so I don't think you're talking about those. lol
Twystd1
Look for a Ziebart tag.

Back in the day. Several dealerships in SoCal used to sell an aftermarket rust proofing installation that was used primarily to get the dealership extra bucks for a product that was of little usefulness. (IMHO)

The dealerships would drill holes in the car and put in a sprayed material call Ziebart rustproofing. Then install vinyl/rubber plugs in the drilled holes.
I have seen several 914s and a butt load of Fiats with this treatment.

I believe Ziebart is still in existence today. Try Google for more info.

NOTE: It didn't work very well on SOME of the cars that I have seen.

Cheers,

Clayton
orthobiz
Just so there's no confusion, I'm talking about the black round plugs in front and behind the plastic door sill protector. Could they be for anything but rustproofing? Prior history of the car unknown. Initial pictures don't show plugs anywhere else.

Where else would Ziebart plugs show up?

Thanks,

Paul
Grelber
My car has the Ziebart plugs. The plugs are yellow, about 5/8" in diameter, and have a "Z" in the middle with "Ziebart" around the outside of the "Z". The plugs are in the lower rear of the doors, the door frame (front and rear) and also in the rear inner fender wells.
balljoint
Those are "speed holes". They make the car go faster. smile.gif
Grelber
Yes, but NASCAR impounded my car and suspended my crew chief for them. biggrin.gif
Spoke
Mine was rustproofed also. Growing up in the Pittsburgh area, snow, salt, and non-galvanized metal took its toll on cars. Rustproofing was the only way to protect cars. Having the car rustproofed is a good thing with these cars. My 914 doesn't need it now since I drive only in dry weather.

Spoke

aircooledboy
The "rustiest" of my three parts cars had Ziebart rustproofing. huh.gif The plugs are literally everywhere. These are black in color, and about 1/2" in diameter. The car has plugs into every possible cavity, for instance, there are probably 4 in each door, 4-5 in the ribs of each trunk lid. I have never been under the car, so I don't know if there are any into the longs.

The "rust proofing" is a waxy tar-like crud, insanely heavy, and in now exposed places you can see where it has cracked badly, trapped water, and obviously caused substantial rust on those panels. The only way I have found to remove it from a part is with a wire wheel. barf.gif I would say conservatively, it added 10 to 15 lbs. to each door and trunk lid, and who knows how much to the body. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.