Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need bigger brake rotors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimAZ
I have a 914-6 six with stock size front rotors and four piston Brake Tec calipers. Does anyone know of a larger diameter rotor that will fit these calipers and still fit inside a 16" wheel? You can email me at thannum@cox.net Thank you for any help.
Aaron Cox
look at 944 turbo rotors?

how wide can you go?

a carerra rotor bolts up and is 4mm thicker, same OD i think....

been a while since i have seen a brake tec caliper.

post some pics.
Matt Romanowski
Wide do you need the larger diameter?
TravisNeff
Here's a set of custom hats for coleman rotors - I'd be the sky is the limit on rotor choices at that point. Cheap too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=332966
Mueller
QUOTE(TimAZ @ Mar 5 2007, 09:11 AM) *

I have a 914-6 six with stock size front rotors and four piston Brake Tec calipers. Does anyone know of a larger diameter rotor that will fit these calipers and still fit inside a 16" wheel? You can email me at thannum@cox.net Thank you for any help.

stock diameter should be 11" , the next common diameter is 12.19", so can you remove a wheel, and measure to see if you have .595" of space between the OD of the current rotor and the caliper??

I kinda doubt you'd have that much room, but who knows....

if no room, your next option would be to space the caliper to clear a larger diameter rotor, or depending on the caliper, split the caliper, add a spacer and run "wider" rotors (this what the factory did more or less for the '85 and newer 911's, same OD, but thicker rotor which will absorb more heat)

As for those those adapters on Pelican, they look pretty darn used and they are a consumable if abused too much.

FYI, 12.19" diameter rotors won't fit unless you change the offset of the rotor towards the outside of the vehicle, if you bolt a rotor that large to your stock hubs, it will hit the a-arm.

Below is a setup I put together using Wilwood parts. In order to fit the rotor (so it does not hit the a-arm, it needs to be flipped around (looks odd, but Wilwood does it on thier Mitsubishi EVO or Suby STi big brake kits)...TimT mentioned that you can also move the entire hub outboard by about .25" if you have a spacer behind the inboard wheel bearing.

These will be going up for sale pretty soon, probebly going to ask $200 for the hats, 2 new rotors and the bolts that attach the rotor to the hats. Replacment rotors are $37 each

IPB Image
Matt Romanowski
Mike, nice setup. Do you have the part numbers for the Wilwood stuff?

Mueller
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Mar 5 2007, 04:06 PM) *

Mike, nice setup. Do you have the part numbers for the Wilwood stuff?

rotor = 160-0277
hat = 171-7671 (undrilled, needs thru holes for the 5 bolts drilled as well as the opening up to fit the hub)
914werke
Mike whats the hat made of ...Alum? It looks fixed while some (Performance Frictions) claim to be floating?
Mueller
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 5 2007, 05:11 PM) *

Mike whats the hat made of ...Alum? It looks fixed while some (Performance Frictions) claim to be floating?

it is fixed design.....Wilwood does have floating hats/rotors, but I really don't know much about them and couldn't justify the extra cost at the time.
rfuerst911sc
Mueller what are the width and diameter of that rotor? Were you happy with the performance? What did you run on the rear of the car? Any balance issues? Did you use a adjustable pressure regulator? What size master cylinder? Thanks
Mueller
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 6 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Mueller what are the width and diameter of that rotor? Were you happy with the performance? What did you run on the rear of the car? Any balance issues? Did you use a adjustable pressure regulator? What size master cylinder? Thanks

12.19" x .810"

sold the car to which these were supposed to go onto....they are just collecting dust in my tool box sad.gif

originally Mazda RX7 Turbo calipers had been planned to be used with them and I would have tackled the other issues as I got to them.

Only real differance between these rotors and pre-84 911 rotors (besides being lighter) is the OD is a little over an inch larger on these
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.