Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash-to-windshield foam/vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I'm going to install the foam and vinyl on the top of the dash, between the dash top and the windshield. I've read several of the previous posts, with several recommendations of using 1/8" foam. Should I cut the foam to the exact dimension of the dash or should I trim it 1/4"? I understand that I'm suppose to glue the foam down, and only glue the edges of the vinyl to the metal frame, not to the foam.

Any other suggestions?

-- Rob
Allan
icon_bump.gif

I'm going to be doing this as well. smile.gif
Brando
YMMV but I glued my dash top material straight to the metal.

Sad to say, but I think it will actually last longer than the rest of the car...
davesprinkle
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 8 2007, 05:25 PM) *

I'm going to install the foam and vinyl on the top of the dash, between the dash top and the windshield. I've read several of the previous posts, with several recommendations of using 1/8" foam. Should I cut the foam to the exact dimension of the dash or should I trim it 1/4"? I understand that I'm suppose to glue the foam down, and only glue the edges of the vinyl to the metal frame, not to the foam.

Any other suggestions?

-- Rob

Get 1/8" CLOSED-CELL foam. Not the standard open-cell stuff. Open-cell foam will absorb the spray adhesive into its pores and will completely and permanently collapse. Sorta like not having foam at all. Cut the foam to exactly the size of the dash. I used some sandpaper to round the edges of the foam -- adding a subtle little fillet prevents a sharp cut edge from showing through the vinyl on top. Cut the vinyl slightly oversize.

I can't comment on your edge-gluing process. I glued the entire surface of the foam and struggled to get the vinyl stretched and stuck down evenly. Maybe gluing only the edges would make it easier?
PRS914-6
I glued a large piece of foam on and trimed it at a slight angle with a single edge razor along the edges. Then glued the vinyl on.
Click to view attachment
watsonrx13
Thanks for the responses and the pics....

Now, is the dash/windshield rubber seal still available, if not, what is the alternative?

-- Rob
PRS914-6
NLA. AA or others has a substitute....
Brando
Contact Glenn at Pelican Parts for a "replacement" dash top seal. Turns out one of his door seals snugly fits right in (and looks good too).
KenH
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Mar 8 2007, 05:25 PM) *

Any other suggestions?

-- Rob

Autos International has the foam & Vinyl.

Ken
watsonrx13
Besides ordering the closed cell foam, is there any generic store I could get it locally from, ie. Walmart, Lowes, etc?

-- Rob
dflesburg
I got mine from

Sunshine Foam
Cincinnati Ohio
513 681-7300

I bought a roll and used it under my headliner too. They mailed it and it wasnt very expensive. I still have lots left.

Can sell you enough to do the dash top if thats all you need.

Send me an IM or call Sunshine Foam.
tyler
It's available but I bought one of the cheap ones and it wouldn't lay down and fit right so I returned it. I bought the good one which was about $100 and it fits great. I have an extra one (I think it's a good one) I'll give you a deal on if you're interested.
I put the vinyl on and left the old foam and just glued the edges of the new vinyl after templating it from the old piece. It would have been better to put new foam on in the exact same places as stock. One thing to watch out for is where the vinyl goes under the dash cover in back of the instruments. If there's not enough foam there it will leave a gap because the vinyl will lay too flat. So I think it's very important to place the dash onto the vinyl for a test fit when you're installing the vinyl or you could be in for a surprise later on (happened to me) when you re-install the dash.

Now, is the dash/windshield rubber seal still available, if not, what is the alternative?

-- Rob
[/quote]
HeavyHeavy
I covered mine too. It didn't seem to matter that much about leaving the foam piece bigger. I made a template with paper first and cut it out to be as close to exact as possible. It would have been nice to have the whole dash out, but I was able to do it with just the windshield out. I used some super strong spray adhesive to hold everything down and I sprayed it on the entire surface - not just the perimeter. It seems pretty good and it's been in the sun and in the cold.

I used some left over foam and vinyl to cover a console that I made, so that matches too.

I got my supplies here:

http://www.newmexicofabricsandfoam.com/
watsonrx13
I ordered the foam from the Foam Factory in MI.... Expect to receive it later this week...

-- Rob
tyler
I found the one I have it's brand new. The original has metal in it but this one is all rubber. If anyone wants it let me know. I'll try to find the receipt and send you a pic and a copy of the receipt for a deal.
=======================
watsonrx13
I received the closed-cell foam and installed the foam and vinyl today....

I first made a template..

Click to view attachment

Next, I taped everything off to keep the glue from spreading...

Click to view attachment

Then I cut the foam to the exact size of the template and glued it in place...

Click to view attachment
blitZ
Where did you get the vinyl?
watsonrx13
Then I glued the front section down. As suggested, I only glued the edges, nothing in the middle of the foam.... I used a screwdriver to push the leading edge of the vinyl down around the windshield... I used popsicle sticks to hold the edges down..

Click to view attachment

I let the front section dry a little, then I glued the back section. After making certain the vinyl was completely down and smooth, I placed the dash top on it to hold everything down....

I'll check tomorrow to make sure it stays in place...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
QUOTE(blitZ @ Mar 26 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Where did you get the vinyl?

Fabric store locally... smile.gif
Fyrmdk914
Is it nescessary to remove the windshield for this operation, or can this be done with the windshield in place?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Fyrmdk914 @ Mar 26 2007, 07:35 PM) *

Is it nescessary to remove the windshield for this operation, or can this be done with the windshield in place?

Most have replaced with the windshield out and since this is the first time for me it was convient with the windshield out...
Supposedly you can replace with the windshield in, but it would be more difficult, but not impossible...

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.