Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sklines new V8 project car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
skline
Here it starts, I spent about 5 years working on the last project car and it sold on Saturday and I took delivery of the new one the same day. It was someone elses project that had been sitting for years untouched. Here is what I know about the car so far.

One PO started building a Renegade V8 conversion on a 1975 914. Not sure why but he did a slant nose conversion on it, in steel of course and bought a Renegade conversion kit to do a V8. Apparently he never finished it as the last PO bought it and tried to find someone to finish it for him with no luck. The car has pretty much not changed since the first owner. As far as I know, the last PO had it for 3 years. Now I have it.

The car is missing a lot of small parts. Read that as so many I dont know where to begin. Door strikers, door handles, the only interior are destroyed white seats. No lower dash, top dash no good at all, no dash face, no pedal cluster, or shifter, no cables or partial cables, wiring pulled out most everywhere and not connected to anything. The engine and trans are mounted and a very old original RH radiator is sitting in front not really mounted. The gas tank just sitting there not connected to anything, no rockers or rubber. It's pretty much just a shell with an unknown engine and trans.

So here is where it begins:
Today, I sourced a 327 from a 68 Camaro engine casting number #3914678 which I will rebuild with a known configuration that I have used before. Thomas came by earlier and picked up my billet IM plate and HB gearset to install in the transmission. He left before the trans and engine were pulled. Jared was here helping me most of the day. We cleaned everything out of the car and then dropped the engine and trans and removed the radiator and hoses. The radiator looks brand new and never used. The engine and trans looked really clean underneath. The top looked like it was parked outside for the last 3 years, which is probably the case. Anyway, I wanted to find out what clutch and flywheel were used and what I was going to have to upgrade to meet my needs. I measured it and it is the 9" clutch and PP. I can use that for now. I am going to install the new RH radiator and fan setup and new marine exhaust hoses. Tomorrow I will finish removing the rest of removeable parts from the car and move forward with body work.

Did I mention there is no RUST in this car? However, I did find that both rear fenders were replaced at one time, the one on the drivers side rear was originally Yellow and the one on the passenger side rear was bronze I think. The front has taken a hit at one time too and the body work is not as good as the rear. I have my work cut out for me. With any luck, and time, I could get it close to running by the end of summer?

Here are some pictures of the car and what I did today.

skline
Did I mention, NO RUST?
Rusty
aktion035.gif
army dude
Great score!! No rust??? No, really, NO rust?? And being outside for so long???? KEWL!!
What will the engine configuration and internals be with what output??

Ian in Iraq...Again
17 days till end of second tour
skline
QUOTE(army dude @ Mar 12 2007, 01:42 AM) *

Great score!! No rust??? No, really, NO rust?? And being outside for so long???? KEWL!!
What will the engine configuration and internals be with what output??

Ian in Iraq...Again
17 days till end of second tour

I have built an engine before with the exact same configuration and it was dyno'd at 380. I may go with a roller cam this time though so I am not sure what it will do as the same cam specs are not available. Close but not exact. We will see.

The compression should be around 10.5:1 so I can run pump gas from anywhere. I will know more as I source the parts for the build. I am picking up the engine on Wednesday and it is going to be torn down and taken to the machine shop by the first of next week to check the block for everything. I will know more when I get that done.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif assimilate.gif
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif glad it worked out Scott biggrin.gif
Solana-Bob
I have a late model lower dash and some pedal sets if you still need them.
nomore9one4
Looks like you got the best of both worlds with that deal. It will be great to see you posting again and sharing your knowledge with the rest of us clap56.gif
tyler
Just a few thoughts.............
Looks like a real "project". I'm just finishing mine up and it was similar to yours to start with except I also had to weld a roll bar back in. You probably have it planned out ok, but if I had to do it over I think I'd buy a nice complete 914 and install the v8 stuff. All those little parts really add up, then there's the dash and all the very, very, very expensive rubber.
Also mine was a primer rat rod when I finally got it running. Now I just finished painting it and I regret it. With a good paint job, not only is taking it out more of a worry, but all the small stuff (like the rubber) that didn't matter before, now have to be right to go with the new paint.
skline
I know what you mean Tyler, but I think some of the fun about these projects is the actual working on the car to get what you want. If I bought one complete, it would probably not be exactly as I want it and I would spend almost as much making it what I want. If that makes any sense. I wont be installing a roll bar but the entire stiffening kit inside and out will have to be welded in. The nicest thing about starting like this is that when I am done, I know the car inside and out. I will be painting it myself so it is not as much of an issue opposed to paying 5k for a paint job by someone else. The first thing I will do to the car is get the body and paint done including the stiffening kits.
skline
I am off to get the new engine today so I will take some pictures of it and post them up. I will also document the build as I go too, should be interesting.
nomore9one4
Scott, Did you decide on a color yet? Is there another sunshine yellow in your future?
turbo914v8
Good day, I have a pedal cluster PM me if your interested. Pic's are available.
markb
Nice to see you're jumping right back into things, Scott.
This should be an interesting build, so please post lots of updates for those of us who are less ambitious.

skline
Well, I just got home from picking up the engine I commited to on Sunday, I have no place to put it yet so I took it to a friend of mine who has a shop about 3000 yards from where I got it. While at my friends he asks what I am doing. I told him and he said he has a 327 that is up in his rafters that I could have for free. So I climbed up in his rafters and got the numbers off it and sure enough, 1968 327. So now I have 2 of them smile.gif

Life is getting better all the time. Pictures when I get the engines home to my house.
skline
Oh, Bob, yes, it will be yellow and we all know why!! smile.gif
Aaron Cox
because we would razz you about painting it pink?
skline
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 13 2007, 11:31 AM) *

because we would razz you about painting it pink?

Never happen, what do you think my name starts with Aa? smile.gif
Aaron Cox
chairfall.gif

So.Cal.914
I think what you ment to say was...Salmon.
SLITS
SOLD
New Project

Your name wouldn't be Glenn "Master of the Unfinished Project" Sager would it?

wavey.gif
skline
Why I really wanted the 327 as a base starting point.

The 327 in (5.4 L) V8, introduced in 1962, was bored and stroked to 4 in (102 mm) by 3.25 in. Power ranged from 250 hp to 375 hp (186 kW to 280 kW) depending on the choice of carburetor or fuel injection. In 1962, the Duntov solid lifter cam versions produced 340 hp (254 kW), 344 ft·lbf (466 N·m) with single Carter 4-brl, and 360 hp (268 kW), 352 ft·lbf (477 N·m) with Rochester mechanical fuel injection. In 1964, horsepower increased to 365 for the now dubbed L76 version, and 375 for the fuel injected L84 respectively, making the L84 the most powerful naturally aspirated, single-cam, production small block V8 until the appearance of the 385 hp (287 kW), 385 ft·lbf (522 N·m) Generation III LS6 in 2001. * L76, L84 1963-1965; Chevrolet Corvette. This block is one of 3 displacements that underwent a major change in 1968/1969 when the main bearing size was increased from 2.30 in to 2.45 in.
skline
Well, I just got off the phone with Kennedy and we couldnt figure out what PP and clutch this is that I took off the conversion in the car so I am going to box it up and send it to them for evaluation. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. From my description to him he said it sounds like a stage 1 which will not handle the 327 I am building so he is going to check it out and make his suggestions which from past experience I will probably follow. Most likely I will wind up with the same one I put in the Chalon. It had the 228mm Kevlar Stage II and it held really good.

Here are pictures of the clutch and PP, if anyone knows or can tell from the pics what it is, let me know please.
skline
Ok, I found a pedal cluster from a 911 I was told will work in my car and while digging through the garage today I found a lower dash in excellent condition so I can scratch those off my list.

I still in the market for rear shocks, prefer Koni adjustables and some 180 to 200 LB springs, a rear sway bar complete with shock bolts, complete steering column with ingition switch and many other things to be listed in the near future. Obviously I am not in a hurry for any of this quite yet as I have a ton of body and paint to do and then worry about assembly but I figure I would put my feelers out now and see what kind of responses I get.
drew365
If you are going to use adjustable perches for the rear springs I have a set of brand new 250# 2.5" X 12".
You can definately tell that clutch belongs in a 914. biggrin.gif
Good to see you back Scott, I wish you still had the Chalon. I need help defending against the mobs.
Aaron Cox
good to see ya today buddy!

looks like a wicked project.
skline
Aaron, it was good to see you too, and Elliott Cannon came by too, it was nice.

Andy, I will most likely not be using adjustable perches unless you have those for me too. smile.gif

Brando
Skliney, if the shop be closed friday I may be able to drive down and lend a hand (jerkit.gif) with the bodywork and engman kit whack_3.gif.
dmenche914
what radiator and cooling lines are used in this V8 set up? any photos?

Most intersted in size / location of coolant lines, and how rtadiator is set up in front.

thanks
messix
the disk looks like a race setup with the solid marcel, you'd get a lot of chatter try to slip that on the street trying to pull away from a stop with out reving the sh-t outta it.
skline
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Mar 15 2007, 07:59 AM) *

what radiator and cooling lines are used in this V8 set up? any photos?

Most intersted in size / location of coolant lines, and how rtadiator is set up in front.

thanks

The Radiator being installed is a new Renegade Hybrids but instead of the Gates Green Stripe hose they sell, I am using Marine Exhaust hose. Other than that, it is all RH stuff.
skline
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 15 2007, 08:08 AM) *

the disk looks like a race setup with the solid marcel, you'd get a lot of chatter try to slip that on the street trying to pull away from a stop with out reving the sh-t outta it.

I will find out next week, I am sending the whole thing off to Kennedy to have them check it out and tell me what it is. Then I will go from there.
Andyrew
Andy, if you have no use for those 250's I do..

Andrew
LarryR
I am new to 914 world but I can see I am in good company smile.gif I am also doing a 914 v8 conversion. My last build up was a 911 with a 3.6 and I am hoping to top the perfromance at about 20% of the cost and have a car that handles better to top it off.

I am entertaining the idea of a LS1 due to the lite weight. @ 395 pounds wet with acceories it is 105 pounds less than a 3.6 porsche engine. Edelbrock has a nice cam and intake combo that is good for 519 hp on the LS1 ....

At any rate good luck on your project and since it looks like we are starting at the same time maybe we can compare notes.
skline
I need a set of Koni rear adjustables if anyone has some laying around they want to part with. smile.gif Let's talk, I have a little money I can spend and want to invest it on the car.
skline
Ok, another day I can do some things on the car. This morning while it was still dark I ordered my Distributor for the new engine and the chassis stiffening kit and a piece from Tangerine racing called an Inner Console Reinforcement. I figured it is better to be safe than sorry. This will be enough to get started on things. Mark should be getting me a list of things to order from him also soon. I want the body, paint and chassis all done before I put it back together.

Brando
Hey man, I'm real sorry I had to bolt friday afternoon. I swear never let anyone buy a fucking focus... They're all lemons. Car is less than 6 years old and the fuel pump took a shit. Mine's an OE bosch and still pumping strong! What a POS. If I'm not doing an engine swap/breakin next friday I might be able to head down again and actually help you get something done lol2.gif
skline
More things to add here.

I just made a deal on some Bilstein adjustable perch rear shocks and a set of 180 and a set of 200 lb springs, a Fitipaldi steering wheel with quick release hub and an Optima billet aluminum battery tray. Yes, it was expensive but I think for the investment, it was a good thing for me. driving.gif
skline
Bad news today from Kennedy, they looked over the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel I sent them and Eric had nothing good to say about them. The only plus is the flywheel is a 9". They are going to resurface it and send me a new PP and stage III clutch. He kept making comments about how old it all was. He estimated 1901, I swear that was the year he said. So $375 later, my new one will be here on Wednesday. The parts are just adding up and I still could not drive it or assemble it yet. So far I am about $1400 and climbing. I still have to build the new engine for it.
skline
New parts came today from Chris at Tangerine Racing. I think I will weld these in today and get that step over with. Nice weather today so it should go smooth. It was raining yesterday which is really a hold up since my car is not yet in the garage. Maybe by the weekend I can get it inside.

skline
On the ajenda today is strip and prep the enderside of the car ready for welding in all the parts I got this week, with any luck I will have it all done by the end of the weekend. I know I will be working at the port on one day or evening but the rest of the time, I will be cleaning, grinding, welding, more grinding and painting. Here is the stuff for the outside of the car. The inside stuff should be here today from Engman.

spunone
What there not in yet welder.gif Me thinks ya need to get up earlier yellowsleep[1].gif sawzall-smiley.gif av-943.gif
skline
Well, I am off to get some stripper now to remove all the paint and undercoating in the wells and engine compartment. Then I will start fitting and welding all this stuff in.

Thanks again Paul for the metal parts. Maybe I will name my car after you? smile.gif
spunone
No Problemo Scotty if ya need something else just holler & dont forget to give me those hole sizes for the alum flanges we need to make thumb3d.gif Now get to burnin welder.gif
skline
QUOTE(spunone @ Mar 23 2007, 09:03 AM) *

No Problemo Scotty if ya need something else just holler & dont forget to give me those hole sizes for the alum flanges we need to make thumb3d.gif Now get to burnin welder.gif

Just measured them, they are 2" across so I would guess make them 2.25" so the hoses fit since I am using marine exhaust hose, that should make a perfect fit.
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
spunone
How big a flange ya need ??
skline
There are 2 holes and they are 2" each, I will open them up a little for the flanges and the hose I am using is a Marine Exhaust hose, after thinking about it, just make them both 2", I am sure the hose will fit through.

Here are aome pics of the holes

Aaron Cox
dont put your fingers into dark holes...

could be trolls... or worse... slits is in there with clayton!
skline
Here is an updated picture of the weld in kits going into this car. I wonder how much all of this weighs? It wont be the lightest car but it will be strong for sure and with the V8 it should still be fast enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.