914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
T H O M A S
all i need to finish my engine are the carbs
i have a 2.7l type 4 with 48/38 heads and web cam so what carbs do i use
weber 48 idf or dellorto 48 drla or spend the big bugs for weber 48 ida
the car will be for racing only
Brad Roberts
The new 48 IDA's all the way !!

It will give you room for adjustment and the aftermarket is hot for those carbs (meaning lots of support/pieces/stuff for them)

B
T H O M A S
thanks brad
48 ida it is
thomas
Jake Raby
Umm. I don't agree with this one 100%. I have seen ONE TIV engine make more power with a set of IDAS than a set of IDFS!

This isn't a TI, its not all about flow or engine size! My 240BHP 2739 gets a set of Weber 44s, and makes better power on my dyno than it did with 48 Dells, or 48 IDAS! EVEN IN THE TOP END!

Just a fact. Till I know the rest of the combo, its hard to say.

These engines are weird in their intake selection, mostly due to head design. If you cannot get it all out, getting MORE IN makes it worse.

I would be more concerned with the exhaust system oin a 2.7 L high RPM race engine, than anything else!

Sorry, didn't mean to be a jackass! Jsut want to see you make the best power!
davep
I'm no expert like Jake, but he makes sense when you consider that maximum power will occur when things are in proper balance. Intake velocity is a critical factor on the intake side. Too big a diameter, and the velocity falls off too much. The length of the intake and its shape also play a factor. That is what tuning an intake is all about. Likewise on the exhaust, tuning is very important. You have a much greater exhaust volume, at ambient pressure, than the intake volume. There are longer paths, greater pressures and interesting shapes that come into play. As Jake says, the whole package needs to be considered to properly evaluate the choices.

DaveP
Jake Raby
Jake is not an expert either..... Just a well seasoned dude that has worn enghines out just trying to get them dialed in all the way.

I still say, and always will that the TIVs biggest enemy is not in the delivery of air/fuel....but rather the exhausting of the mixture! Not getting the previous mixture out before attempting to get a new mixture in, is the fastst way in the world to kill power and make hot cylinder heads.

Save money on carbs, and buy a 1-3/4" Tangerine Racing Header.....Its the only thing I have found that gets rid of the gasses enough for any engine above a 2316!

Dyno and track proven! Chris made it to the runoffs- and with less engine than many others!

I have sen 10K buck engines with a 200 buck exhaust..... I have seen 2,000 dollar engines with a 2,000 buck exhaust........ I have seen the 2,000 buck engines, spank the pants off of the 10K buck engine!

The Tangerine header is the qual to a set of 48 IDAs, just on the other side of the camshaft!

What goes in, must come back out.

Buy One.
ChrisFoley
IMHO, you would get better performance using 44IDF's with big chokes and this exhaust system, than you could with 48IDA's and a 1 5/8" 4into1 header.
Total - $1995 H/T Coated, includes mounting hardware and shipping.
Jake Raby
Exactly.... I'll second, third and fourth what Chris said.

Get that exhaust out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.