Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper top refurbishment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e

if not this what?
jk76.914
I find cleaning it as important as what preservative is put on it. I clean mine about once a year with Westley's Bleche White, then wash thoroughly, and then use a good preservative.
EJP914
Bought some stuff from Griot's Garage. In a small bottle with sponge applicator on top. It lasts quite awhile and doesn't give a high gloss shine, but you have to put it on in a smooth, consistent coat or it streaks.
Allan
I cleaned mine with simple green and a scrub brush then used Mothers back to black.

Came out looking new.
Tobra
QUOTE(Headrage @ Mar 18 2007, 06:54 PM) *

I cleaned mine with simple green and a scrub brush then used Mothers back to black.

Came out looking new.

+1, except I used a scotch pad instead of a scrub brush. Washed it down with water, put on the back to black. Turned out pretty good

before
Click to view attachment
after
Click to view attachment
redid it and it looked better, light spot is from buffing compound, still need to paint that bumper, looks bad next to the valence
Jeffs9146
I sanded mine with 220 grit sand paper and steal wool then cleaned and armorall and it looked almost new!

djfamousa
What do you do if your bumper tops have been match painted and the paint is starting to flake off? I don't want to buy a new one they are 500.00 each!!!
Mr.242
This isn't the thread I remember from months ago....but it will work for an update.

I had learned of using Peanut Oil on the rubber pieces from a long time 914-6 owner and Porsche expert. My bumper top was less than desirable and since it was sitting on jack stands I thought I would give it a try. I rubbed it with Peanut oil (left the jelly off it).

Now several months later as I was poking around my car I found the bottle of Peanut oil and it reminded me to take a feel and look.

beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

It's amazing. It added luster back into the bumper pad. Mine was dry and rough. I didn't sand or anything. It absorbed into the material. At first application it was greasy, but no more than using Armor All. But it wasn't greasy months later.

I am amazed. I put another coat on it and will let it settle some more. But I can tell you it did work! I will try to pay attention to how long this stays greasy..days or weeks. But I think it was no worse than a good coat of Armor All that I have used on my other cars/pickup. I would drive this with a fresh coating without any issues. Just not behind a pickup on a gravel road attracting dust.

For those who have cars sitting in the garage due to snow; might be a good thing to dry to add luster to your old rubber bumper top.

FYI. my .02 worth!

Think Spring!
underthetire
QUOTE(Headrage @ Mar 18 2007, 05:54 PM) *

Came out looking new.

agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(George H. @ Mar 18 2007, 04:37 PM) *

if not this what?

George - I've used this Forever Black on my other car's rubber bits which are the smooth shiny surface, but wouldn't use it on the 914 bumper tops except for a a "rough" DD, cuz they're more of a textured surface.

I also won't use Armour All guys & gals - because it builds up a sticky surface that stays & gums up & collects road crud! I used to use it on the interior smooth vinyl, but you should see my friggin visors inside after the Armour All sat for 24+ years! dry.gif

These were made with a closed cell urethane foam (sometimes not so "closed cell") with a synthetic rubber type color/sealant. So I can see NO reason to sand them, as you'll just open up the cells (more) & allow even more moisture inside to rust up the carbon steel bits inside & cause more of that doofus dimpling across the top.

Use a good rubber safe cleaner, & something like Wurth or Meguires or similar high quality rubber care/preservative suitable for natural & synthetic rubbers. If you have some discoloration, then don't sand it - use one of the tire coloring compounds, but wipe off asap to avoid the overly shiny finish, then preservative.
6freak
peanut oil works best....or go cheap black shoe polish
jsaum
Is there any type of adheisive or filler that you can use to repair small rips on the pads?
Jsaum
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 10 2010, 11:57 AM) *

Is there any type of adheisive or filler that you can use to repair small rips on the pads?
Jsaum

The black rubber sealant/adhesive by Permatex worked well for me, but you have to be careful to keep it under the top surface & immediately clean-up any that oozes to the top or out the tear's repair seam.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.