Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New User/Owner - Orange71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange71
Hey folks, just thought i'd take this chance to introduce myself.
I'm the new owner of a 1971 914-4 that has been in my family since my father bought it new back in the day. It's floated around my family until finally coming into my hands at the beginning of this year.

It sat for the last 3 years and tooks minimal effort to get it back on the road. A fuel flush, new fuel, new battery, new tires and a tune-up and it's been a dream since I picked it up on Friday. Even took it for a long drive up the coast on sunday.

Also, I saw a thread about wood dashes, this one appears to have a solid wood dash that was installed soon after it was bought, I'll try to post some pics when the weather clears up here.

I've not got a BUNCH of questions and hope y'all don't mind me rattling them off here in hopes that everyone's experience can help catch me up quickly!

1) That lever that is just rear of the shift lever, what does it do? I can't find head not tail about it in any of my manuals!

2) I've taking the horn ring off and the 'Rubber Sleeve' that sits between the horn sleeve and the nut/steering wheel is missing. I also don't see anything that looks like a horn switch in there, not too much about it in my manuals, anyone got a picture or description of what should be in there? Any suggestions on where to go for the 'Rubber Sleeve'?

3) Shifting has gotten MUCH more difficult to the point that I can't get into 4th and 5th gears anymore! (as of last night) 2nd and 3rd gear appear to be extremely 'wide' on the shifter... does this sound like a simple adjustment or potentially a larger problem? (Mechanic who got her running/tune up did replace the transmission fluid)

4) The tab that is welded to the chassis to bolt to the engine cover just behind the seat has broken off. Does anyone make repro tabs or should i just have a body shop fab something up?

5) My rear trunk hinge on the right side has also come off it's weld and parts of it look in bad knack... can anyone recommend a body shop in/around San Francisco CA?
SirAndy
QUOTE(orange71 @ Mar 20 2007, 01:09 PM) *

I've not got a BUNCH of questions and hope y'all don't mind me rattling them off here in hopes that everyone's experience can help catch me up quickly!

1) That lever that is just rear of the shift lever, what does it do? I can't find head not tail about it in any of my manuals!

2) I've taking the horn ring off and the 'Rubber Sleeve' that sits between the horn sleeve and the nut/steering wheel is missing. I also don't see anything that looks like a horn switch in there, not too much about it in my manuals, anyone got a picture or description of what should be in there? Any suggestions on where to go for the 'Rubber Sleeve'?

3) Shifting has gotten MUCH more difficult to the point that I can't get into 4th and 5th gears anymore! (as of last night) 2nd and 3rd gear appear to be extremely 'wide' on the shifter... does this sound like a simple adjustment or potentially a larger problem? (Mechanic who got her running/tune up did replace the transmission fluid)

4) The tab that is welded to the chassis to bolt to the engine cover just behind the seat has broken off. Does anyone make repro tabs or should i just have a body shop fab something up?

5) My rear trunk hinge on the right side has also come off it's weld and parts of it look in bad knack... can anyone recommend a body shop in/around San Francisco CA?

welcome.png

now that we got that out of the way ... biggrin.gif

1. heater lever. it has two functions, it opens the flapper boxes on your heat exchangers to let warm air into the cabin and if moved all the way up, it also switches on the heater fan in the engine compartement (if present) to pump even more air through your heat exchangers.

2. this sounds a bit confusing. i'm not sure you're talking about a stock steering wheel. could it be aftermarket? there are lots of those around. a pic would help ...

3. if your car was converted to a sideshift transmission, then that sounds like the cone setscrew at the firewall shifter coupler has come lose.
if it still is a tailshifter, the screw at the end coupler could have come lose.
also, now is probably a good time to replace *all* shift bushings, as they do wear over time.

4. / 5. Yeaman Autobody in Palo Alto. Scott Yeaman is a 914 guy himself, his guys know 914s and they do great work.
or, if you're further up north, Original Customs in Napa does great work as well. Mark (the owner) is a regular here ...

bye1.gif Andy
AZ914
2. Ok, if you removed your horn pad and are looking for a somewhat conical rubber part.. thats what keeps the metal rings on the horn pad and column apart. There shouls be a wire connecting the two as well. Pelican Parts may sell these 'horn replacement kits' or the like.

Welcome!
orthobiz
Signal Orange or Tangerine? Brown or Black interior?
My first was a Signal Orange with a brown interior...

Paul
orange71
Thanks for the info guys....

Sir Andy:
Glad i know what that darn flapper box lever does now!
I believe I'm still a tailshifter, so I'll look into that now..
Thanks for the autobody recommendations!

Andy/AZ:
Steering wheel is stock and pelican DID have something for it under what you suggested AZ...

Ortho...
I'm actually not sure! Black interior though... maybe you can tell me from the pics? or i'll look up the color codes to figure it out soon smile.gif.

The car in question:
IPB Image

Porsche windshield banner curtesy of my cousin 20 years ago
IPB Image

Why o why?!?! Bike rack bolted through holes drilled in the bodywork!
Nice emblem though... and a racing exhaust from 15 years ago?
IPB Image

Driver and Passenger aftermarket mirrors
IPB Image

The stock steering wheel (and lovely wood dash of which i'm quite fond)
IPB Image

Open up the horn ring/steering wheel and it's got no horn guts!!! argh!
Anyone have pics of what SHOULD be in there?
IPB Image
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orange71 @ Mar 20 2007, 06:18 PM) *

Anyone have pics of what SHOULD be in there?

Check this link out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356...1QQcmdZViewItem

You should also check your engine & tranny mounts for wear & deterioration. Amazing how new ones help clean up the shifting. Welcome to the madness thumb3d.gif !

cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
A wire should come out of the hollow steering column and thru that small hole in the ring and push onto the male tab. It just grounds out the circuit to make the horn work.

Nice car drunk.gif
Jeffs9146

While you are down there check the clutch tube at the fire wall!

Clutch Tube Info

welcome.png
orange914

orange71 welcome.png
#! i just went through my sons entire heating system becouse all the engine ducting was missing.--learned a few things
1 you need at least a 2 year degree to use it effectively
2 the hot air tubing maze is interesting to say the least
that said the console lever also turns on the rear blower by a grounding switch when the lever is pulled up
#3 sounds like you may have had thicker gear lube put in last service causing harder shifting
#4 let me know what tab it is your looking for i have a parts car body
#5 i live about 1 hour from bay area and i had "prestige auto" do my sons 914 they were very reasonable and did an excellent job. lt me know if your interested in more info.
orange914 thumb3d.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 20 2007, 02:36 PM) *

A wire should come out of the hollow steering column and thru that small hole in the ring and push onto the male tab. It just grounds out the circuit to make the horn work.

I know that's how the later cars (I think 72+) work, but I believe that the early ones have a separate horn switch that grounds the wire going up the steering column. Similar to the one in the evil-bay link--but I don't know if the one in the link is the original part or not.

--DD
Tobra
Clean out under the rocker panels. Use blue loctite on the cone/set screws. New shift bushings will make a big difference if worn
orange71
Well I missed the Ebay auction as I was down in LA for a few days (when the auction finished), but I'm back now and started poking around the inspection panel for the shift linkage and looking at the firewall.

QUOTE(Tobra @ Mar 21 2007, 08:31 AM) *

New shift bushings will make a big difference if worn

Shift bushings it was! but actually.. it was the shift bushing at the REAR! the grease was so old it had gummed up and the rod was pulling the bushing with it. I've packed some new grease on there after cleaning the old, and pushed the bushing back into sorts. It shifts like a whole new car now! I'll have to order the Shift Bushing Replacement kit from Pelican and see how much it improves when I redo the entire rod grease and put in new bushings.

Thanks a ton for the advice.

Now back to sourcing the bits to fix the horn smile.gif
orthobiz
Looks like you have a Signal Orange car, the color of my first 914, near and dear to my college memories. Way to go!

Paul
markb
I have a couple of early (70-71) steering columns, if you can pull off your steering wheel to see what parts are there, I can send you the missing (if any are) parts.
SGB
Thatsa really nice car! And now you have fallen into the 914 DIY ZONE. It is like gambling; at first you win...

Just kidding. I believe you will have a blast. We are a wierd lot, lovers of the outcast and nearly great 914. I hope you are ready, because it is more than just a Porsche, its a relationship. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.