Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How about some torque.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Look at that fat, flat torque curve!!!

Look at this! This engine uses one of my new 9700 series cams (non roller) coupled with LE 200-102 heads and 8.5:1 CR!!!!!

It uses RAT SDS EFI/ direct ignition with 45mm T/B and a 1-3/4" Tangerine header.

The engine is for a 2007 Intermeccanica Speedster and belongs to a European customer... I think he'll be really pleased with the torque curve and overall output this MassIVe engine provides. I am building one of these in 6 weeks for a 914 application, so I thought I'd share some numbers..

Lets don't start a "six Vs four" debate with this one and before you ask me how much it cost I'll go ahead and say "enough" as sharing the cost of this custom engine publicly would not be fair to my client.

We have been raising the bar higher and higher almost weekly for the last six months, 7 months ago this engine made 15% less power with another full digit of CR!
r_towle
Im not gonna ask how much, but how big?
Is that a 2270?

Rich
BigDBass
My guess is 2680.
Brando
What's the displacement on that engine Jake?
Jake Raby
Its actually a 2615, the file name was 2680 as I was comparing it to a 2680 in an overlay prior to this screen shot :-)

Not bad for an engine that will run on 87 octane and idles at 700 RPM...

I expect to break 200HP at less than 9:1 with a 2270 next week for the first time ever on pump gas...

BUT the build up of the engine for the Television show might hinder that a couple of weeks...
BigDBass
<Maxwell Smart voice> Missed it by that much!
Gint
So, what happens from idle to 3k rpm?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 21 2007, 05:11 PM) *

So, what happens from idle to 3k rpm?

think of it as a 911 S motor... until it gets on the cam... its irrelevant...
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 21 2007, 01:58 PM) *

Its actually a 2615, the file name was 2680 as I was comparing it to a 2680 in an overlay prior to this screen shot :-)

Not bad for an engine that will run on 87 octane and idles at 700 RPM...

I expect to break 200HP at less than 9:1 with a 2270 next week for the first time ever on pump gas...

BUT the build up of the engine for the Television show might hinder that a couple of weeks...

At today's prices, 93 octane is only 10% more $ than regular. So what can you do for us at a safe compression for the high test (9.5, maybe?--you tell me). You've got a lot of potential customers waiting out here for strong, light, and reliable, and we don't care what it runs on. 4-cylinders 4ever!
Jake Raby
[/quote]

At today's prices, 93 octane is only 10% more $ than regular. So what can you do for us at a safe compression for the high test (9.5, maybe?--you tell me). You've got a lot of potential customers waiting out here for strong, light, and reliable, and we don't care what it runs on. 4-cylinders 4ever!
[/quote]

95% of my engines demand premium fuel.. This engine was different as it will be used in some remote parts of Europe on long trips and higher octane fuel may not be available so I engineered some flexability in it's creation- thats the benefit of a custom engine program.

think of it as a 911 S motor... until it gets on the cam... its irrelevant...

That could not be further from the truth! These big engines make huge torque at very low revs- I just didn't inclue those values in this screen shot I posted- I will attach another that illustrates them below.

The HUGE advantage that a big engine like this has for a street car is the big flat torque curve at lower revs which really promotes drivability and keeps things very fun, if you are like me moking the tires on demand is always fun in 3rd gear. You can look at the peak torque point and see how much lower it is than a comparable output six..

This engine is built for long distance, intercontinental European cruising with tall gears in an Intermeccanica Roadster more than anything- it gives the term "dual purpose" a new definition. This combination LOVES the stock gearing of a 914 as well.

Thats right this engine pulled as low as 1,500 RPM at wide open throttle and still made power.. Thats the glory of I?R Engine Management and a correctly configured engine that it's feeding..... I actually pulled the engine to 1,000 RPM but didn't save that data ;-)
Click to view attachment

This baby is on the cam at damn near idle! It really starts to wake up through the dyno controls around 2,300 RPM and then comes on harder around 3,400 when the heads really wake up and port velocity increases..

This is a daily driver- remember that.....
Chris Pincetich
Nice!
Put in in first gear, let it idle, and I bet it would climb a pretty good grade with all that torque. I can't wait until the Roller2270+SDS retro kit comes out beerchug.gif
914forme
Jake that is one sweet daily driver engine. As allways thanks for sharing. And keeping the dream alive.
Jake Raby
Sure!!!!!!

Torque Rules!
pete-stevers
jake even a veggie guy can put up graphs.....
but lets see some pics dude....
of the engine...EH???
Jake Raby
It's not spectacular on the outside... Just the regular old DTM equipped conversion engine with EFI and a Tangerine header!
r_towle
do you have a picture of a regular old DTM converted motor running your EFI?
I am curious how that looks together, and if the system has the jewel look I need.

rich
Jake Raby
Version 1 or Version 2 or 914 DTM??? :-)
r_towle
Whatever I would buy in the next few months...

I am building a jewelry box, and its important for the jewel to be properly attired...
jwalters
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 22 2007, 12:00 AM) *

I am building a jewelry box, and its important for the jewel to be properly attired...

blink.gif
Brando
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 21 2007, 08:00 PM) *

We now officially have 1 pinky-lifter teener owner! chairfall.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Brando @ Mar 22 2007, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 21 2007, 08:00 PM) *

We now officially have 1 pinky-lifter teener owner! chairfall.gif

theexperience_hud.gif brain.gif bananabang.gif

NOT that there is ANYTHIUNG rong weith that..........
Jake Raby
914 DTM on a 2270 TIV with EFI
IPB Image

V1 DTM equipped 2270 W/ EFI on the Dyno
IPB Image

And here is a V2 DTM on a 2.5L EFI/ Intercooled MassIVe Turbo engine
Click to view attachment

Good enough for ya??

dwillouby
Not bad for a 4 cyl. smile.gif I love seeing big numbers from small motors. Used to drag race a Yamaha 400cc motorcycle years ago. 110 horsepower from 24ci.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.