Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Steering Wheel Size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
Being 6'1", the stock wheel doesn't leave me much room to shift/steer, so I'm considering a smaller steering wheel... I know that I'll probably lose sight of portions of the gauges (I can't see parts of them now), I'm just trying to figure out how much smaller to go (which will be partially driven by styles and availability).

Stock is 380mm, and most of the after-market ones are 350mm; but, I've also found some at 320mm, 300mm, and 280mm. I recognize that the smaller you go, the more effort that will be required to steer...

Thoughts/Suggestions? How small do I need to go to get the shifting/steering room I need? Thanks!
tomamafone
350 is what you want. i'm 6'2'' and it gives you a nice ammount of leg room and plenty of arm work when you're going slow. thats just over an inch smaller than stock. a lot of guys like the momo prototipo wheel for period correctness,
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._mowhel_pg1.htm

i prefer the monte carlo for feel

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._mowhel_pg3.htm
Heckler
My height is split about 50/50 (32" inseam), I just find that I can't get my right leg out of the way when shifting in particular and it's even worse if I'm trying to steer...

I've checked the Momo site and the majority of their wheels are 350mm. The Commando, Commando R, Millenium, Millenium Evo, Jet, Race, Tuner and Monte Carlo come in 320mm and the "Team" comes in 300mm and 280mm. At first I was thinking the 300mm Team, but once I get the 205/55/16s on the Pack Racing wheels, that'll probably be a little rough at slow speeds...

I also found this "Luisi" wheel on eBay, any body heard of them?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2400&rd=1,1

Thanks!
tomamafone
find someone with a 350mm and then drive it. you'll be surprised how much smaller it is. trust me on this.
Heckler
QUOTE(tomamafone @ Mar 22 2007, 05:36 PM) *

find someone with a 350mm and then drive it. you'll be surprised how much smaller it is. trust me on this.

You volunteering your car? (kidding)

So your Monte Carlo is a 350mm (since they're also available in 320mm)? You perfer it over the Prototipo for ?feel?, can you explain? Thicker/thinner wheel, smooth leather vs suede, etc...?

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
im 6-2, and run a 350mm prototipo. feels great. easy shifting/steering. knees get under it just fine.....
eg914
I am also 6-2. I have a Momo Prototipo, 350mm. It blocks the speedo from about 65 to aobut 90. Blocks the low end of the gas gauge. The top of the tach is blocked by the hood over the gauges, not by the wheel. The car had a smaller wheel when I bought it, and it took a lot more effort to steer. The 350mm size is great, and is not in the way when getting in and out.
tomamafone
QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 22 2007, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(tomamafone @ Mar 22 2007, 05:36 PM) *

You volunteering your car? (kidding)

So your Monte Carlo is a 350mm (since they're also available in 320mm)? You perfer it over the Prototipo for ?feel?, can you explain? Thicker/thinner wheel, smooth leather vs suede, etc...?

Thanks!

sure you can come drive it. be careful though. sera's my baby. the prototipo is more round and has a corner where the wheel meets the spoke. the monte carlo is wider front to back and thinner side to side and transitions ergonomically into the spoke. the prototipo is suede and the monte is a soft leather. come check mine out if you'd like. its one of the more important things to get just the way you want it.
JamesBernard
I want to find one of the old classic Momo steering wheels, from the 70's.
I've seen a few on ebay but i didnt bid because i wasnt sure how easy they were to come by.
I like the thicker leather feel, kind of like the monte, but round like the protipo.
johannes
Mittelmotor in Germany also made some stock looking 360 mm wheels.
They aren't cheap ( 499 Euros) ...
http://www.mittelmotor.de/deutsch/neuheiten/lenkrad.html
Gustl
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 24 2007, 11:20 AM) *

Mittelmotor in Germany also made some stock looking 360 mm wheels.
They aren't cheap ( 499 Euros) ...

but this one is available with a 30 mm (about 1.2 inches) "higher" hub - and that will bring additional space between steering wheel and shifter

I've bought one and will get it installed for the coming season driving.gif

btw - I'm abbout 6-4 at 258 lb (if I converted correctly ... the metric system ...)

wavey.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.