Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott76
Hello all. First time posting here. I figured I'd share and hope to get some advice on a project engine that I'm rebuilding. I got my hands on a '74 1.8 engine for a project car.

I have torn the engine all apart and gave it to the machine shop. I stopped in to see how everything is going with it. WOW.... it looks great. seeing the heads all bead blasted and the case cooked out. He is inspecting everything for me. I have a list of parts that I need. P&C set; cam/gear/lifters; oil pump. I called the machine shop and told them to go ahead and do the heads. I plan to have it back near the end of April.

The list goes on. I want to keep it stock but a little mild/wild on the cam. I plan to put 44 to 48 webers on it. I was told to stay away from the 96mm p&c set and stick to the 94mm.

I'm looking for any advice for a rebuild. The engine code is EC026590. The codes says something about not being a standard 1.8. I'm really not understanding it. Please help me.

I'll try to attach some pics.

G e o r g e
QUOTE(Scott76 @ Mar 23 2007, 01:43 PM) *

I was told to stay away from the 96mm p&c set and stick to the 94mm.

I'm looking for any advice for a rebuild. The engine code is EC026590. The codes says something about not being a standard 1.8. I'm really not understanding it. Please help me.

I'll try to attach some pics.

94 mm is a 2 ltr piston the 1.8 is 93 beerchug.gif

i would do some reading over at Shoptalk forums if you go to 48 webers the 1.8 valves might be to small for that application

what are they doing to the heads?

welcome.png
G e o r g e
and thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Scott76
I'm trying to post pics. its not working!!!!!
Scott76
I'm getting new valve guides, valves, and machined cyl. seats. I looked at the heads. there is no cracks. they look great. I can't wait till I get it back. I'll take pics and post.

If I can figure this dang thing out... I think the pics are to big.
type47
keep the L-jet
Borderline
What's the reasoning for staying away from the 96mm pistons and who told you? I just finished assembling my 1.8 (now 1.9) with 96 mm p/c's and this is the first I've heard anyone say stay away from them. If you go with webers, you will want to use either 40's or 44's. The 48's will be too big. Did your head guy put in larger valves?
Scott76
I don't have the jets. All I got is the bare engine and the tranny. I'm sorry to say its not going back into a 914 and I don't even need the tranny. Sorry guys!!!! I was told the car rust around the engine and was smashed. the engine and tranny was pulled to sell. I picked it up down in Philly. I'm working on getting pics into this.
Scott76
I don't think he's putting in bigger valves. I was told the 96's would burn up to fast.
jd74914
That is total BS.

96's won't burn any faster than your 93's will in a mild engine. They just offer a slight compression and displacement bump for more power. Those Webers are huge . . . way too big for a 1.8L unless its a serious hot rod engine. You should go find some Weber 40s or Dellorto 40s. They are a much better fit for the engine. Then just make sure you get a cam that works with your desired compression and be sure that the valve train can keep up smile.gif
Scott76
I'm afraid its going to run hot. I'm doing a type 1 conversion on it. I don't know how much air is going to move over it.

I was told a cam of 288 duration with .490 to .520 lift for a 44 to 48 weber.
Scott76
I hope, I don't piss to many guys off with this project. I'm chasing a childhood dream car. Heres some pics.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Here is what the engine is going to push.
IPB Image
914werke
go 96's for 1911 cc's keep the Ljet and since you WILL get a bump in HP from the increased displacement you will have NO problems pushing the lighter weight of a FG buggy shell!! confused24.gif
Since the thing hangs out in the air compared to a 914 I doubt your gonna have cooling problems
rhodyguy
have you figured out how you are going to support the front (fan) side of the engine yet? that's alot of weight hanging out there. the buggy should be pretty quick no matter what size t-4 engine you install. you'll be needing wheelie bars with a hipo engine. weber 40s will be plenty big for the engine you're building.

k
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 24 2007, 11:22 AM) *

go 96's for 1911 cc's keep the Ljet and since you WILL get a bump in HP from the increased displacement you will have NO problems pushing the lighter weight of a FG buggy shell!! confused24.gif
Since the thing hangs out in the air compared to a 914 I doubt your gonna have cooling problems

Rich,

I also have a 74 1.8 and was thinking of installing 96's in it.
But always wonder about a few things.
* did you have to make any additonal adjustments to the L injection?
* which type of pistons did you used
* any further 'insights'

Sorry to high jack this tread.

smile.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 24 2007, 10:22 AM) *

"go 96's for 1911 cc's keep the Ljet "

agree.gif
Scott76
I know I'm not going to have a problem pushing a buggy shell. I had a chance to buy a 2.0L but past on it. I just want a reliable porsche engine thats not going to be to big for the car. I thought 93's are more reliable? I want dual 44 webers, What about the cam? I need a new cam/lifters/gear.

914werke
* any further 'insights'

On mine I used D-jet so I couldnt specifically say other than its my understanding
that it should be EASIER to tune a slightly modded L-jet motor. Basicaly Fuel presure, Flapper gear and fine idle screw (I'm sure someone will step up and tell me I wrong and full of stromberg.gif biggrin.gif )
I bought a set of KB 96's and Hasteing rings from Raby (with the correct Pin height for the 1.7/1.8)
the only other thing I did to mine was rebuild a set of 2.0 heads slap on the 2.0 FI 2.0 SS HE's and a Bursch Exhaust modded for a WB02 sensor thumb3d.gif
Geoff used his LM1 to tune the MPS and its a kick driving.gif
I thought 93's are more reliable?

NOT
I want dual 44 webers

blink.gif Its your motor confused24.gif
What about the cam? I need a new cam/lifters/gear

Chk Raby..Split duration
Bleyseng
QUOTE(396 @ Mar 24 2007, 12:08 PM) *

Rich,

* any further 'insights'

smile.gif

I tuned my Westys Ljet which is just as Rich said. easy and drives like a bandit.
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 24 2007, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Mar 24 2007, 12:08 PM) *

Rich,

* any further 'insights'

smile.gif

I tuned my Westys Ljet which is just as Rich said. easy and drives like a bandit.

Thanks for the insights!

One day..
orange914

On mine I used D-jet so I couldnt specifically say other than its my understanding
that it should be EASIER to tune a slightly modded L-jet motor. Basicaly Fuel presure, Flapper gear and fine idle screw (I'm sure someone will step up and tell me I wrong and full of stromberg.gif biggrin.gif )
I bought a set of KB 96's and Hasteing rings from Raby (with the correct Pin height for the 1.7/1.8)
the only other thing I did to mine was rebuild a set of 2.0 heads slap on the 2.0 FI 2.0 SS HE's and a Bursch Exhaust modded for a WB02 sensor thumb3d.gif
Geoff used his LM1 to tune the MPS and its a kick driving.gif

is the only difference with 1.7 and 2.0 d-jet f.i. system in the computor programming? if you where to put a hotter cam or increase c.c.'s on a 1.7 engine with D-jet (or in this case a hot 1.8 L-jetconverted to D-jet), would a 2.0 computored D-jet system give a tunable air/fuel for such a set-up? how about tweeking the regulator to increasing fuel pressure? i've heard the stock 914 injectors flow better volume than many other injectors under increased pressures. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.