Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which 901s had the "GB" mainshaft?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
race914
Need some help from the club with the technical data to identify if a 901 transaxle has a F, GA, or GB mainshaft.

This is a question from a current classified ad

I'm fine tuning my gearset for Laguna Seca, and the F second gear mainshaft in my 73 914-4 901 is too low for turn 11 so I'm looking for a GB mainshaft.

I know I could go to a 904 mainshaft which would allow me to switch out 2nd gears, but that is alot more $$$

Thanks in advance for your replies

From the technical expertise on this site, I know someone probably has this memorized! pray.gif

Thanks again,

Greg
davep
http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

Does not indicate the GB was an actual mainshaft combo. That is, I would expect from this chart that GB was a ratio for the 914 mainshaft only.

When obtaining a mainshaft (not 904), you need to get the mating 2nd gear with it.
Martin Baker
Sorry to have caused all this trouble Greg!

And allow me to THANK YOU for being my Instructor at Laguna Seca for my first time there. I learned allot in a short time!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 24 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Does not indicate the GB was an actual mainshaft combo. That is, I would expect from this chart that GB was a ratio for the 914 mainshaft only.

When obtaining a mainshaft (not 904), you need to get the mating 2nd gear with it.

second gear ratios i know of
F, GA mainshafts
H,HA,HB,I second gears you could put in a 4 speed or on a 904 shaft
bondo
I've got an A mainshaft if you want to go 4 speed.
Aaron Cox
great paperweights, you need any more? rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif
r_towle
I thought Chris Foley figured out a way to remove the 2nd gear..
It could just be placing the shaft in a lathe and removing it, and then I think, could be wrong...that you can then put on the other gears mentioned..not sure about any of this...but I know Chris knows..

Rich
race914
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Mar 24 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Sorry to have caused all this trouble Greg!

And allow me to THANK YOU for being my Instructor at Laguna Seca for my first time there. I learned allot in a short time!

This is all Martin's fault. I was happy 'bogging' out of turn 11 at laguna at 3200 rpm with my Ka 3rd gear until I rode in Martin's car! Boy does his car LAUNCH out of turn 11 in 2nd with his "airport gearset"! drooley.gif

Thanks to everyone for your replys. I'll update this thread with what I find and what I end up with...
race914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 24 2007, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Mar 24 2007, 10:27 AM) *

second gear ratios i know of
F, GA mainshafts
H,HA,HB,I second gears you could put in a 4 speed or on a 904 shaft

Hi Aaron,

The H 2nd gear looks awesome on the gear calculator. I talked with the Carquip.com guys and they do have repro 904 mainshafts and an H gear, but it's big $$$. They sell the GB mainshaft (which after this thread I'm not sure what ratio 2nd it really is...) for $400, but they don't currentlyl have any.

Thanks for the ratio info. Hope to see you at an event this year if I ever wander down south!

Greg
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 24 2007, 02:57 PM) *

I thought Chris Foley figured out a way to remove the 2nd gear..
It could just be placing the shaft in a lathe and removing it, and then I think, could be wrong...that you can then put on the other gears mentioned..not sure about any of this...but I know Chris knows..

Rich

i think he cut off an F second and welded on an I gear.

i guess you could cut it and spline ala a 904 shaft
bondo
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 24 2007, 10:35 AM) *

great paperweights, you need any more? rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif

Kinda long for a paperweight.. but it makes a great clutch alignment tool. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.