Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end Shimmy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Solo914
Well,
I have been driving around with the front end shimmying for awhile now and I thought it was a tire out of balance, then it started getting worse. I had the wheels rebalanced and had another set of tires put on(i had another set) and it is still there. A post I read about steering racks wearing out got me thinking and I checked mine... it is very very sloppy.

So, Does anyone have a good used steering rack they are looking to get rid of.....
oh.... and I am 914 owner which means that by default I am cheap......just like you.. and you and you... and especially you.

Thanks in advance guys!! biggrin.gif

Kyle

email me kyle(dot)freiheit (at) gmail.com
914-8
if you're really cheap, you should do more to figure out what the problem is, rather than just buying and replacing random parts which have a good chance of not being the problem.
bd1308
My ball joints went out

I had shimmies really bad

what wheels do you have? Therory is that the aftermarket wheels centers arent exactly centre, and dont really work well with the tire balancers at Big O
Solo914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Mar 29 2007, 08:34 PM) *

My ball joints went out

I had shimmies really bad

what wheels do you have? Therory is that the aftermarket wheels centers arent exactly centre, and dont really work well with the tire balancers at Big O

you are probably half right, I like the look of empis but they are far from perfect

Alright so I didn't post everything about what I have done. I have slowly been rebuilding this car and I have checked everything out. The whole front end has been rebuilt, poly bushings, koni singles, new upper strut bushings etc. I was replacing the front calipers(different issue, leaky calipers, THANKS ERIC S!) and finally had a chance to get it up in the air. The front ball joints are fine but when I checked the play in the front left tie rod it had play up and down, inside and out and the right side was worse. I never throw money at problems and was even thinking of pciking up some bronze and rebushing it myself. I still may go this route after my new to me(used) rack wears out.

Thanks guys.

Kyle
sww914
GPR should have a pile of good used racks, he's parted out enough cars.
woobn8r
You may wish to check your front rotors also...
brp914
I tried, but gave up on the idea of rebuilding the rack. No internal parts are available from porsche. There is a ball bearing and a needle bearing inside which surprisingly are commonly available, but bushings, pressure block, and shims - you're on your own. I threw in the towel and got a rblt from porsche for ~$525. Yeah, alot, but it is perfecto, and going in with brand new bil struts/s-calipers/turbo tie rods/needle bearings.

here's the associated carnage of that effort:
Joe Ricard
I got what you need make me an offer. No slop and only slight slack in the pinion.
Pm me for details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.