Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 290HP VR6 motor - Boxster tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
The latest VR6 mill from VAG is a 3.6L cast iron block, aluminum head, DOHC, FSI, VVT motor that turns 276HP in VWs/Q7, 290HP in the Cayenne. Longitunally mounted in the Cayenne, Touareg, and Q7, transverse in the B6 Passat and upcoming R36. Rumor is the next Audi TT will have an all aluminum 300HP unit.

Neo was able to bolt a Boxster to the Audi 2.7L V6 (not VR6). The reading I've done suggests that VAG retained the same motor/tranny bolt pattern for the VR6. Does anyone know, or have a manual tranny VR6 block they can post a picture of from the back end?

It would be very cool to have a modern 290HP motor hooked to a newish Boxster tranny. If the motor were pulled from a Cayenne, might be eligible for certain PCA classes you otherwise wouldn't be. Would have to go water-cooled. Also, the VR6 is pretty tall - would probably have to notch the trunk like with the 1.8T in this thread.

If the Boxster tranny doesn't bolt on, can still use a FWD 016 or 01E tranny from a FWD A4 or B5-earlier Passat. Would require fabbing the cable shifter mechanism, but the GT40 / lambo replicar have been doing this for a while. Some good pictures here.
jimkelly
who the hell knows but it sure looks like you've been doing your homework : )

keep us posted.

i am curious about the boxster tranny to SBC V8 ??

maybe kennedy engineering can be of help ??
MecGen
Hi

Yup, I am sure they boys at KEP can make it for a few $$$, if they don't already have the program.
I remeber the problem is with the VR6 height and length, not the Boxter trans that is a hard fit. I had measured one up a few years ago, some serious cutting needed.
It can be done, and I really think it would be an amazing set up aktion035.gif but more work then I was willing to do.

Later
beerchug.gif

Gary
Kennedy does list an adapter plate for porsche tranny to VR6. I think an adapter plate won't be necessary, as I'm thinking the Boxster tranny might be a bolt-on to the VR6. Would open another swap possibility and address the nagging concerns of the 901's durability. The torque ratings for the G86 (Boxster tranny) are better than the 915 and there aren't any other applications, so they're pretty reasonably priced used - like $1-$1.5k.
JPB
If all this is correct, I believe we have a WINNER!!! smilie_pokal.gif

The 914 runs ahead of the pack again! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.