Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a Dr. in the house?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
Well attempting to reassemble the 901 Ive run into two obsticals.
First is that when dissasembling the thing I didnt pay attention to
the gaskets used to set the Pinnion depth sad.gif They were definitly light green
but I kinda remember there being two??
the other problem is that In the storage & moving of parts I did something to
the ring/carrier (pumpkin) and the spider gears have flipped over and for the life of me I can get the back oriented correctly ... blink.gif
Is there a trick?
Joe Ricard
Well I opened this in hopes of helping.

But I have no idea. Paper gaskets of the same thickess and qty are essential.
John
Need pictures.

BMXerror
Dr. Evil to the tranny room... Paging Dr. Evil. Dr Evil to the Tranny room.
Mark D.
914werke
Well I figured out the carrier issue smile.gif Its like a rubics cube, you have
to puzzle over it a while twisting this way and that. biggrin.gif
As to the gasket deal-o I think Im kinda screwed. I should have noted the thickness color and or # of gaskets but didnt. sad.gif
I might be in for a bunch assembly/ dissassembly to get it correct
brp914
I might be in for a bunch assembly/ dissassembly to get it correct

if by this statement that intend to set the pinion depth using a trial and error method with machinists blue, or grease, or other method - don't bother, it won't work. allow me to refine that: it is considerable bother AND it won't work, even assuming you don't smash your fingers. Well, folks say...I have no firsthand knowledge, ofcourse. rolleyes.gif
JPB
Start with three gaskets and if its to loose go to two. How do I know? Not only do I look like a trany expert but I stayed at a Holliday Inn last night! Don't say I'm cute cuz thats not me.
sixnotfour
Call the local shops that may have the pinion depth tool
Akers
Chris's German
John Walker
Bernie Buschan
your favorite Gerbers
914werke
Pinnion depth tool?
914werke
Found a third issue,
this cant be right
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Pinnion depth tool?

Pinion Depth ---Tool , Gauge , Setting fixture, you pick , They will know what you are talking about and if they dont , they cant do it properly.
Dr Evil
Dude, throw on all the gaskets and be happy. It is not gonna be THAT touchy. Besides, the dimentions change as the gaskets age and the thickness is not exact when you measure the old ones. IIRC, you had three. I am glad you figured out the carrier as trying to explain how it goes together is a difficult task.
Your output flange looks wierd. I am 95% sure that I have spares if you need.

JPB, that guy in the pic looks kinda fruity aaron.gif
914werke
Yup after agonizing over it for a bit I said WTF and put it together with the
Lt. Green & Tan (the thinest and middle) gaskets. The output flange looks like a CV let go some time in its past, Yes I had spares.
I got stuck at trying to remove the small seal in the shift support
mad.gif chair.gif headbang.gif smash.gif how the hell do get that thing out !!!
Dr Evil
HAHA! Now you know why I charge tongue.gif

Some times I can just pry it out, others I have to surgically collapse it to relieve the interferenc fit and then pry it out. Just dont get frustrated and score the bore and make sure you file out any nicks you put in the inner shaft bushing so it doesnt bind or wear your shaft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.